Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Gaining muscle after gastric bypass.

Dookie

Rep Points

Gaining muscle after gastric bypass.

Hello everyone, On June 9, 2003 I had gastric bypass surgery for weight loss. I was 380 lbs. I'm now down to 222 lbs and I'm looking to put on a large amount of muscle. I was just wondering if any of you trainers out there or experienced lifters have run across anyone in a similar position. If so do you have any advise for me? You see the average gastric bypass patient has a hard time consuming large quantities of calories in a day, and what we do ingest is not fully absorbed due to the mal-absorbtive part of this procedure.

I'm 31 yrs old 6'4'' 222 lbs 11.1% BF and I think a bit on the skinny side. I've been working out now for about 14 weeks. For the last 4 weeks I would say I've been pushing hard. I'm seeing some gains but I would like to maximize my efforts.

Any advise or suggestions would be great!

Thanks

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

largepkg welcome to IM!

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Hardcore Peptides 20% Discount Code: Robert20

Dookie

Rep Points

Thank you Sir!

Cutting sucks.

Rep Points

mass gaining is 10% training 90% nutrition, look around the diet and nutrition forum and ask some questions, post your diet etc. we can help you out

Rep Points

Welcome to IM. Can't really help you much with your case, but how many calories can you eat a day? Is there any limit after having that type of surgery?

Dookie

Rep Points

How many calories I can eat in a day, I'm not sure. Per serving size I can only eat about 8-10 oz of food. This depends on the texture of the food. The drier the food the less I can eat. I'm more than satisfied after 4-5 oz.

I'm currently eating 2-3 protein bars a day along with a protein shake after my workouts. I also eat 4-5 cheese sticks a day. This is from post surgery days, it was about the only thing I could tolerate. The good news with this surgery is that I can eat a lot of fat because my body doesn't assimilate it the same.
    Which is to say most of it goes out the same way it went in!

I know it's best to get my protein from my foods but this is the most palatable way for me. Along with this I'm eating 3-4 meals consisting of mainly chicken and fish. I figure my daily caloric intake to be about 3,500.

Rep Points

Eat a whey hydrolysate for protein, it is already digested. Ask your doc if aminogen is alright for you, it is a supp that is protein digesting enzymes.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

Dookie

Rep Points

Thanks for the help Dale. I'll look into it.

Rep Points

Thumbs up Gastric Bypass and Bodybuilding

Im not a personal trainer but I have researched and have many gains. I was 365 when I had my surgery and am now 240lbs up from 225lbs. I could of lost another 25-30 lbs but was getting to week. here is what I did, At the gym I started out slow, very slow for two weeks 3 sets low weights (embarassing weights). I then started to increase where I felt comfortable and then on and then on. I was an avid lifter in high school and I think it helped. Im 52 years old I have 17 1/2 in arms can bench 275 and squat 325 on mt last set. I also have a 36 in waist not bad for an old guy but remember to suplement with vitamins and whey protien ( 30 grams/day).Usually before workout and get plenty of rest it takes time and patients but you will see results.

Adrenaline Junkie

Rep Points

Welcome!