Quaker 1 minute oats vs. Quaker Regular Oats?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rep Points

Quaker 1 minute oats vs. Quaker Regular Oats?

Is there a difference?

Rep Points

Yes, the 1 minute stuff is over processed. Regular rolled oats only takes 3 mins. in the microwave and they are much better for you.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Rep Points

Great and I just finished the whole container of the 1 minute stuff......

Rep Points

DAMN i JUST BOUGHT A MONTH SUPPLY OF MINUTE OATS.
    Tim T

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

That's funny...I did the same thing when I first came to this site.

They are still in my cabinet over a year later.
    My Carb Cycling Progress - you can't hide from the numbers.

Rep Points

I'M TO CHEAP to spend the 1.75 for the regular oats I will eat them. They are still healthy. maybe I'll make some cookies to help get rid of them
    Tim T

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

You can get them cheaper at health food stores if you buy them in bulk.

Rep Points

Yup, I pay 39 cents a pound

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

I don't even cook the three minute oats for three minutes. I like them semi-raw. It's sort of like how I prefer al dente pasta. Maybe it has something to do with the Italian in me.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Rep Points

Health food stores in Wichtia are rediculous I have seen oats for 3.99 a lb here. No Lie, they really try to rip people off in KS
    Tim T

Sackin' up every day

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi
    Yes, the 1 minute stuff is over processed. Regular rolled oats only takes 3 mins. in the microwave and they are much better for you.
    are you referring to the quick oats or the instant oats? The only thing in the quick oats are 100% rolled oats
    -Sack Up-

"If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?" Pink Floyd, Another Brick in the Wall

Badass always bulking

Rep Points

Sadly,

Jodi is right. Is it so hard to wait 2 more minutes for the regular oats to cook???
    BB is my religion. There's no doubt, I'm one of the devout.

Mic Murderer

Rep Points

It doesn't make that much of a difference, just finish the quick oats and get the old-fashioned next time. As long as you're eating the quick oats with a good portion of lean protein I believe you will be fine, they're the same thing, just shredded up into smaller bits.

Peace.
    T DOT O.

Rep Points

Yea can someone explain why regular oats are better then the 1 min? I mean its the exact same ingrediant just look like they put it in a blender. Some people, like me, dont care about the extra time but I like the texture better with the 1 min Oats. Plus the regular Oats bubble up spilling all over my microwave

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by JoeR.
    Yea can someone explain why regular oats are better then the 1 min? I mean its the exact same ingrediant just look like they put it in a blender. Some people, like me, dont care about the extra time but I like the texture better with the 1 min Oats. Plus the regular Oats bubble up spilling all over my microwave
    The one minute oats are processed, that's how they cook faster. Processed foods breaks down faster, that's why the regular oats are better and the steel-cuts oats even better.

The regular oats don't bubble up if you have the right amount of water.

Sackin' up every day

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper
    The one minute oats are processed, that's how they cook faster. Processed foods breaks down faster, that's why the regular oats are better and the steel-cuts oats even better.

The regular oats don't bubble up if you have the right amount of water.
    aren't the instant oats just the ones that are processed?
    -Sack Up-

"If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?" Pink Floyd, Another Brick in the Wall

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by aztecwolf
    aren't the instant oats just the ones that are processed?
    Isn't that what I said...instant=minute oats?

Rep Points

You all are confusing them, here ya go:

Regular = cook time around 3min
    1min = same as regular but cook fast, only ingrediant rolled oats; cook time around 2 min
    instant = come in little packets with sugar, add water and heat for 1 min.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

1min = same as regular but cook fast, only ingrediant rolled oats; cook time around 2 min
    same ingredients yes....but the are processed, they are pressed so that they can cook in a shorter amount of time. this takes them away from their natural state and raises the glycemic index of them since they are broken down faster, like pepper said. how much of a difference does it make? Who the hell knows??
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Rep Points

well one of the main reasons you're having the oatmeal is because it's a slow burning starchy carb that will help you control your insulin levels. Besides the fact that it's healthy as all hell.

So having the processed fast digesting kind of oatmeal kinda defeats the purpose of you choosing oats in the first place, doesn't it?

If you're just switching the way you eat, you'll get results regardless. Once your body adjusts, eating as cleanly as possible will only help you maximize your results.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Determination
    well one of the main reasons you're having the oatmeal is because it's a slow burning starchy carb that will help you control your insulin levels. Besides the fact that it's healthy as all hell.

So having the processed fast digesting kind of oatmeal kinda defeats the purpose of you choosing oats in the first place, doesn't it?

If you're just switching the way you eat, you'll get results regardless. Once your body adjusts, eating as cleanly as possible will only help you maximize your results.
    true but I often wonder how much it matters with the 1min. oats. I mean I eat the regular oats because i like the taste of them better. But you are not eating the oats by themself. They are included in a meal with protein and fat (I hope) which is going to slow down the insulin response anyway so again, is it that big a deal if one were to use the 1min. oats? Who knows?

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."

Rep Points

So if you put regular oats in a shake and they get chopped up they are not as good for you? I am so confused. Should I just put the oats in the shake without processing them in the blender?

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by cjrmack
    So if you put regular oats in a shake and they get chopped up they are not as good for you? I am so confused. Should I just put the oats in the shake without processing them in the blender?
    No, they are fine

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

OK..let me take a stab at this and one of the mod's of this forum can correct me...but when food manufactures "process" food, they essentially remove alot of the fiber. This is what makes the food cook faster. Unfortunately, it makes the food "burn" faster in your stomach.

So "processing" food by the manufacture and processing it in a blender at home are not the same thing at all. When you put it in the blender, no fiber is being taken out. I guess you could argue that by increasing the "surface area" of the oats, you may be raising the GI...but that's just getting ridiculous.

Mic Murderer

Rep Points

I agree with Funk 200%, I ate one minute oats for an entire month and it made no consequence to me, but I just like the thicker texture of the old-fashioned more. The GI is kind of overrated, considering the fact that you are eating a meal with lean protein and fat, which will slow the digestion and breakdown of the carbohydrate anyway. Also, it is not true that fiber is lost in one minute oats. Look at the quaker packages for minute oats and old-fashioned oats- they are exactly the same. They don't strip the bran from the minute oats at all.

Peace.
    T DOT O.

Rep Points

I buy the %100 Natural Old Fashioned Quaker Oatmeal as opposed to the 1min stuff. I don't think it's as good for you as the %100 Old Fashioned Oatmeal is & it's not much different in price.

Rep Points

Did you even bother to read any of the thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny
    I buy the %100 Natural Old Fashioned Quaker Oatmeal as opposed to the 1min stuff. I don't think it's as good for you as the %100 Old Fashioned Oatmeal is & it's not much different in price.

Rep Points

Joe

Did you even bother to read any of the thread....
    Duh, that's why I gave my opinion about it just like everyone else has here.

Am I not allowed to give my opinion or say what I eat just as everyone else?

Rep Points

You are, but as you can see we were trying to base it on fact.

Rep Points

JoeR.

You are, but as you can see we were trying to base it on fact.
    & from what I can see most ppl think the 1min oatmeal is processed therefore not as good as the %100 natural old fashioned oatmeal.

Here is a quote from Jodi for example about 1min oatmeal being processed & not as good for you:

My opinion still stands that the %100 natural old fashioned oatmeal is much better for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast