Use Coupon Code SPOOK25 for 25% Discount!

Weight Loss Plateau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Back to reality

Rep Points

Weight Loss Plateau

What do you do when your weight hasnt dropped in a while, and your cals are already low?? Cut em even more??? OR, is it normal to hit a weight loss plateau for a while, and to just get past it, and then the weight will drop after that?

Mic Murderer

Rep Points

I guess you could do cardio, Jill. I'm on carb cycling and I haven't lost anything i a while too, and I guess it's my fault, because I hate cardio and refuse to do more than one session a week. I could cut some carbs out of my high or low days, but it's hellish enough doing a high/no/lo/no/high/low/no. I'm thinking of switching to a 50/30/20 plan.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Jill. I had to vent.

Peace.
    T DOT O.

Back to reality

Rep Points

I already do cardio 5-6X a week. Lots of it. Thanks Premo.

Mic Murderer

Rep Points

Oh. Don't you think that's a bit excessive? Haha. I can't handle more than once a week. Are you doing HIIT?

Peace.
    T DOT O.

Back to reality

Rep Points

More like interval training-1min intervals, pretty much the same. I have always been addicted to cardio

Mic Murderer

Rep Points

I used to be. I used to do 400m sprints (5x each session) 4 days a week. Now I'm just a fat-ass.I still love lifting, at least.

Peace.
    T DOT O.

Pure Energy

Rep Points

5-6 times a week is quite a lot..! What does your daily diet consist of..? You must be slamming some heavy-duty callories..!

Rep Points

Do you have a journal Jill?
    What are your stats?
    What is your diet like?

Rep Points

Hi Jill,

When I was fighting to lose my excess kgs ( 25 in total), I found that if I ate very clean for a month I'd stop losing weight and then if I cheated ( but not with total junk) for a day or two, I'd suddenly start losing again.... it worked well in the end, I lost it all. Someone explained why this happens, earlier, I just know it works

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

It's tricky when you go too low, cause you have nowhere to go Try cutting out some foods (such as dairy and bread) and replace it with better food sources. Don't know if that's in your diet or not though.. Refeeding works too

bring it!

Rep Points

I ve been watching your diet Jilly and there doesnt seem much to tweak food-wise(as persay choices).
    Id suggest a carb up or cheat meal(w/dessert) . try it once a week, if you can handle that mentally and get right back on track.
    " To dream anything you want to dream: That is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything you want to do: That is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself to test your limits: that is the courage to succeed."

I'm stuck in the same situation I guess...I dropped calories entirely way too low for a couple of weeks a bit back.

It's tricky because you can say your metabolism has slowed down too much, you can theorize about it, but it's not really something you can feel. But if you're like me and your energy levels were crap, then you know something's wrong.

Then I did a refeed, but when I got back on my diet, the drop in calories was too drastic so my energy levels crashed. I've felt like crap all week basically.

Yesterday I had a cheat meal and my energy levels suddenly went up to normal. It was great, feeling NORMAL again...not drained. I went out and played basketball and I was fine besides all my extremely sore muscles, heh

Today I'm planning to go slightly above maintanace, eating whole wheat pasta, extra lean beef burger on a whole wheat bagel...not the cleanest stuff...but that's the point

I guess the key for me is watching my energy levels, and adjusting my calories regardless of what these damn formulas are telling me.

One of the benefits of eating 6 meals a day is supposed to be increased energy levels and a huge boost in metabolism. By dieting for too long or dropping are calories too much, we're achieving quite the opposite.

I've personally have been scared to just eat eat eat...it goes against what one might think to be common sense.

"I haven't lost anything in like a month, how's eating all this food going to help me burn more?" is what my subconscious keeps asking

hey I've tried everything else...it's time to eat.

After long periods of dieting, some people recommend even a full week of maintanace/slightly above maintance eating.

I'm going to keep eating until I start feeling as energetic as I used to feel in the beginning...then I'm going to start dropping my calories at a very slow pace and see how it goes.

In your case, doing so much cardio and having already been consuming a low level of calories...I think it's safe to say your metabolism could use a cheat meal and couple of days of maintance calories (if not more...in days and calories...I guess it's up to you to check how you're feeling and what you're comfortable with).

Fit by 40

Rep Points

Hi Jill,

I don't know if it can help, but I have hit a kind of serious plateau for at least 5 weeks which I was getting very desesperate, so I decided and took 1 1/2 weeks brake of everything regarding training and regardings foods, well I ate more, not with all the junk foods, but I have to admitt that I treat my self. When I came back in the gym after that brake and get back on track with my diet plan, well after a week I drop another 2 pounds of fat and since that, I'm still on my way for loosing 0.5 pounds to 1 pound a week. I guess I have reset my metabolism and give a break to my body and I guess my body and mind appreciate it. I don't know, but for me it's the way I have been able to broke my plateau.
    [B]kim - Fit by 43

Mic Murderer

Rep Points

I think this is precisely what's great about carb cycling, you enver have to worry about leptin levels going to sub-optimal levels because it integrates refeeding into your weekly nutrition so you don't have to worry about it

Peace.
    T DOT O.

Rep Points

Anyone on a low carb diet needs to refeed. If you don't your progress will always slow down. Jill your cals are already low so please don't cut them anymore.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Rep Points

jill - how low are your carbs on a daily basis?
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
    If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- 14th Dalai Lama

Back to reality

Rep Points

Thanks everyone for their advice, it really does mean a lot. I have a journal in the online journal section, Working on Me.

My carbs are between 110-130 a day NG. I know not to cut cals anymore Jodi (i certainly dont want to), but I am afraid of 'refeeding', mostly mentally-although I'd really love to do it. My weight has been the same for about a week. Am I just being paranoid? Or, should I give it another week?

I see YOU!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Jill don't cut the calories....you need to do a refeed like Jodi said. Don't cut anything else.
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jill
    Thanks everyone for their advice, it really does mean a lot. I have a journal in the online journal section, Working on Me.

My carbs are between 110-130 a day NG. I know not to cut cals anymore Jodi (i certainly dont want to), but I am afraid of 'refeeding', mostly mentally-although I'd really love to do it. My weight has been the same for about a week. Am I just being paranoid? Or, should I give it another week?
    I'M NEW TO THIS REFEEDING THING, BUT AREN'T YOU SUPPOSE TO KEEP THE CARBS TO LESS THEN 1 GRAM PER LB OF BODYWEIGHT WHEN TRYING TO DROP FAT ? HOW MUCH DO YOU WEIGH ? 130 GRAMS OF CARBS SEEMS A BIT MUCH. AND IF YOU AREN'T DOING CARDIO FIRST THING IN THE MORNING ON AN EMPTY STOMACH, YOU MAY WANT TO ADD IT AT LEAST 3 TIMES A WEEK. ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT WORKS FOR ME.

Back to reality

Rep Points

Spike-I weigh more than 130 pounds. I do cardio on an empty stomch if I can, other wise its ALWAYS after weights.

Jodie, you never really did re-feeds. Its only been 1 week that my weight hasnt changed, am I being silly? I will not drop cals either.

Rep Points

I don't want to interfere with your diet Jill but I just want to comment on a few things.

Competition dieting is not healthy. Any of us dieting for a competition are putting our health and bodies as risk. We skim just above starvation mode to push our bodies to lose those last few pounds. Some, myself included, are often run down and force ourselves to get through each day. I tend to feel ill more often when my cals are low as well so the body is constantly fighting. Its very un-healthy and should not be intended as any everyday diet IMO.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

I see YOU!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I didn't do a refeed the same as some people would. Remember...sometimes when you hit a stand still you have to throw things into the mix that you may normally not have. It can mess with the head a lil, but the benefits are there. Jodi likes to do her refeeds with different foods than me. Both work, just have to do it and see what happens. You'll feel fluffy for a few days, but then it will start dropping again.

Also stress in life and other things can factor into the weight not going down as well. Wait a week or so before adjusting anything, just don't take anything lower than it is.

And if it makes ya feel any better....since Saturday...I have added 10 lbs! Salt and water makes me FLUFFYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."

Mic Murderer

Rep Points

Please do not do cardio first thing in the morning. One of the worst things you can do. Just my opinion, of course. Just cheat, Jill, go a week on maintenance and take time off the gym.

Peace.
    T DOT O.

Lightbulb The importance of low carb cycling

Aloha Jill,
    I have used a low carb diet for many years now for contest preparation or summer weight loss. It works, "so stick with it"! The main thing to remember is to constantly manipulate the body. It thrives on the ability to addpat to change. Do give it a chance to addapt to your low carb diet by having to many consecutive low carb days. Make sure you cylcle the low carb days with a high carb day every 3 - 4 days. On the high carb days, eat carbs wit every meal, (hopefully you're alerady consuming at least six a day). I hope this has been some help, you can find out more specifics at http://www.storesonline.com/site/764...ct/503-4469858 .

Roland
    http://www.naturalmusclehawaii.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jill
    Its only been 1 week that my weight hasnt changed, am I being silly? I will not drop cals either.
    Well a week isn't bad at all, try a month plus! ha

If it's just a week, I would refeed for a couple of days, maybe 3. You'll feel "fatter," you'll probably be bloated and you'll stomach will make tons of noises like "what the hell is this stuff?, haven't had this in awhile, etc"

don't worry about it

in fact, make a note to actually ENJOY it. Make sure to stick a couple of cheat meals in there if you can.

Once you get back in your diet, I would recommend making it a point to sticking a refeed day at least once a week. Eating clean still, but going up to maintance calories. Simply to prevent your body from going into starvation mode and slowing down your metabolism. This is actually known to rev up your metabolism even more.

Just recommendations from what I know.

I sure am loving eating and feeling energetic again

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Premo55
    Please do not do cardio first thing in the morning. One of the worst things you can do. Just my opinion, of course. Just cheat, Jill, go a week on maintenance and take time off the gym.

Peace.
    WHAT DO YOU BASE THIS OPINION ON ? ANY RESEARCH ? ANYTHING DETRIMENTAL IN DOING CARDIO FIRST THING IN THE MORNING ? PLEASE SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE.

Mic Murderer

Rep Points

^ Man, I just wrote a long-ass post about this the other day. Okay. Muscle is seen as useless to the body, right? Obviously your body wishes to get rid of muscle preferentially as opposed to fat, which is required for survival. As such you risk extreme catabolism when you do cardio frist thing in the morning when your body is hungry for nutrients. The punishment that HIIT inflicts on your CNS in general isnt' much fun first thing in the morning either.

That being said, if that's you in your avatar that is a ridiculous stomach.

Peace.
    T DOT O.

Back to reality

Rep Points

I only do cardio on an empty about once a week Thanks again peeps, I think Im going to stay low carb for the next week, and see what my weight goes to. Jodie(s) i may shoot for a refeed next week. My clothes ARE looser every few days so thats a good thing. I do defff look thinner too. I might up my protein just a bit too, to get some more cals in.

The mental thing is what concerns me most-sat I had pizza and it bothered me for 2 days. I really would like a bagle with pb on it, or even some cream cheese. Ive just found it much easier to stay eating clean, rather then mess it up. Its my ' all or nothing' perfectionist trait that fucks with me.

I also have no stress either! Really!

Rep Points

you may already be doing this...but i'd suggest taking measurements in addition to using the scale. for instance - if the scale stays the same but your hips and waist got smaller - you can safely conclude you've lost fat.

hang in there
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
    If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- 14th Dalai Lama

Back to reality

Rep Points

Your sweet NG-I havent taken measurements since Jan when I was fatter, and today just for the fun of it it did a few. (and compared them) They have went down, in more places than I wanted them to!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast