Divine Nutrition

Use Coupon Code SPOOK25 for 25% Discount!

What exactly is Muscle Tone?

Rep Points

What exactly is Muscle Tone?

I can't find a definition anywhere. Is it just mass without body fat? Is it possible to have lots of muscle mass and low body fat and not be tone? What does that look like as opposed to someone with lots of muscle mass, low body fat and tone? or, are mass and tone mutually exclusive (you can have one or the other but not both)? Lots of workouts say to do low reps with more weight for mass but high reps with less weight for tone. So, is tone just some muscle mass with more endurance?

Thanks for any help clearing this up.

bring it!

Rep Points

I hate the word tone. You either have muscle defintion or you don't.... what makes it? having muscle. the leaner you are, the more defintion you show and muscles look sharper and more prominant.

lower reps help build strength and muscle mass. super higher reps are more for endurance purposes and lack in the ability to breakdown muscle tissues- ie build muscle. IMO anyways.
    " To dream anything you want to dream: That is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything you want to do: That is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself to test your limits: that is the courage to succeed."

Rep Points

Tone is simply a stupid term used to get people with localized fat to over work that certain area, when really all they should do is clean up there diet and maybe hit some cardio.
    Kevin

"If you eat alot and workout hard and consistantly you will make good gains"

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ByeGirlyArms
    Is it possible to have lots of muscle mass and low body fat and not be tone?
    no, that is not possible.

but is is possible to have low body fat with and to not have defintion because there is no muscle...
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by atherjen
    I hate the word tone. You either have muscle defintion or you don't.... what makes it? having muscle. the leaner you are, the more defintion you show and muscles look sharper and more prominant.

lower reps help build strength and muscle mass. super higher reps are more for endurance purposes and lack in the ability to breakdown muscle tissues- ie build muscle. IMO anyways.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

I hate the word tone

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Carl Mccoy Wannabe

Rep Points

Hello, we can't come to the phone right now.

Please leave a message after the "tone".

....bleeep...

Rep Points

Toned: to make firmer or stronger; often used with up: exercises that tone up the body. www.dictionary.com I think that's what you wanted. People might not like the word, but it is in the dictionary.
    -trHawT-

Rep Points

I think some of you can see where I'm going with this... how many reps to do for best results AND WHY? seems "muscle tone" may just be a marketing catch-phrase? anyway, my current workouts have most exercises consisting of 8-12 reps. I was thinking it's time to go to 6-8 and bump up the weights. I don't want to just keep trying random programs just because of this marketing. I want something that truly makes sense (and works, right?).

Thanks for everyone's input. As you can tell, I'm still a newbie.

Rep Points

8-12 reps is fine. I usually stick to 10 - 12 reps. You should be adding weights in increments the stronger you get. Stay @ the same reps, just try to go up in weight.
    It takes time.

I think I've gotten the most fiber recruitment from lower reps, heavier weights.
    -trHawT-

addicted to the crack

Rep Points

From a physiological standpoint muscle "tone" refers to the level of firmness a muscle holds even in a relaxed state....you will find that people who exercise regularly with resistance tend to have a better tone (i.e. a firmer appearance to their muscle)

I think most people use the word incorrectly when they really mean definition...which is related more to your bodyfat levels and level of muscular development. As atherjen mentioned.
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

When one door closes another door opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the ones which open for us.

Rep Points

Right on Doc, that is what the word "tone" really means but almost all of the commercials use the word incorrectly. They use it to mean firmness but that is wrong. And then they say " perfect for those who want to tone up without adding bulk. What a bunch of morons. the only way to improve firmness is by forcing the muscle to grow. Man i want to slap the people who write those damn commercials
    Best vitamin I have ever used. It's made from real food (veggies, fruits) and not synthetic (made in a lab) like most vitamins. Check it out at www.dontforgettotakeyourvitamins.com/safty4884

Rep Points

-trHawT-

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

I think when someone (typically females) uses the word "tone" they mean a little bit of muscle development and definition, but not bulky and ripped.

The funny think about it is it's so difficult to get bulky and ripped it's just silly that anyone would worry that it might happen by accident!

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

inadvertant tree hugger
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

From my standpoint, muscle tone is the resistance that an examiner perceives when passively manipulatiing the limbs of the patient. In the relaxed normal person, when a limb is manipulated at one of the joints, a certain amount of resistance will be encountered in the muscle, that is not related to any consicous effort on the part of the patient. Muscle tone is a good diagnostic tool. Hypotonia is decreased resistance to passive manipulation of the limbs, and hypertonia ,or too much muscle tone, is increased resistance to passive manipulation of the limbs.

Hypotonia tells us that the ventral roots from the spinal cord carrying motor neurons have been cut or that the dorsal root carrying the sensory fibers back to the spinal cord has been interrupted. It can also signify diseases affecting the cerebellum.

hypertonia comes in two forms, spasticity and rigidity. Parkinson's disease for instance has more of this type of muscle tone (rigidity.) Anyway, enough of this...it's saturday night for goodness sake.
    Official Race Member of the Crank Crushing Rednecks

Eat more mud, mountain bike until you die!

XX Feminine power