• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Less is better!

SportinStyle

IM's Anti-Drug ;)
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Two days ago - for the first time - I did chest by only doing 4 exercises (instead of my normal 5-6) of 3 sets each and today I am still extremely sore, a lot more sore than when I used to do 5-6, same with my biceps also.

I know a few of you do 16-20 sets total so I just wanted to post this to get you to try fewer sets and see how you feel. I think this new adjustment will be like a new life for me.

Thanks to everyone who helped me make my workout a week back!

Hey, i have also had a good experience with the less is more philosophy. all last summer i tried this workout plan i found at bodybuilding.com which i dubbed the "one set wonder" i did like 15-20 excercises(whole body) each workout which was every 3rd or 4th day depending on recovery. only did one set of each and did it complete utter failure. at the end of the summer i had gained about 12-13 pounds and i enjoyed it. I know this wouldn't work for everyone especially some here who have been training for years and years and it takes more stress for their bodies to adapt and grow but i had been not lifting for a few weeks and it worked for me. i should note that i also was following my eating plan very closely and eating wholesome food and lots of it as well as taking a few supps from S.A.N. it was the best growth period i ever had. give it a try if you want

If you like the less is more philosophy you should read up on Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty/high intensity routine....his ideas seem radical but they work for some including me.

SportinStyle said:
Two days ago - for the first time - I did chest by only doing 4 exercises (instead of my normal 5-6) of 3 sets each and today I am still extremely sore, a lot more sore than when I used to do 5-6, same with my biceps also.

I know a few of you do 16-20 sets total so I just wanted to post this to get you to try fewer sets and see how you feel. I think this new adjustment will be like a new life for me.

Thanks to everyone who helped me make my workout a week back!

being sore has nothing to do with the effectiveness of a training session or routine...

quality beats quantity any day of the week in this game...

Well I am using it as a sign, since it takes months to see real progress.

What I am saying is, doing so many sets before, I was never sore (although this makes no sense to me), and now that I do less, but do them slowly and with better form, I feel as if I just competed in a strong man comp.

SportinStyle said:
...What I am saying is, doing so many sets before, I was never sore (although this makes no sense to me), and now that I do less, but do them slowly and with better form, I feel as if I just competed in a strong man comp.
It would make sense for you to be more sore after a workout now because you are probally concentrating more on the negative part of the lift because you say you lift with better form...

...I would also agree with Lam, being sore really doesn't mean you stimulated any growth...in fact being too sore may mean you over did it??

...after a couple of weeks of lifting with better form your body will adjust and I am sure you will not be so sore after your workouts.

LAM said:
quality beats quantity any day of the week in this game...
enough said right there

madden player said:
...I would also agree with Lam, being sore really doesn't mean you stimulated any growth...in fact being too sore may mean you over did it??
QUOTE]
i can definately tell when i over did leg workouts i'f i am still sore 2 days later

aztecwolf said:
i can definately tell when i over did leg workouts i'f i am still sore 2 days later

After legs, sometimes I am sore week after :spaz:

There is NO WAY I over did it. I did 4 sets of 3 exercises on a big muscle group (chest) and only 3 on my biceps.

IML Gear Cream!
PreMier said:
After legs, sometimes I am sore week after :spaz:
sometimes i'll be sore for a good 3-4 days, and sometimes only a little bit the next day, oddly enough i feel as if a get more growth when i am sore for only a day

Me too, as far as feeling better if only sore for a day or so. as a sidenote though, when i do a new excercise that i haven't done for months - like heavy lunges - i am sore for sometimes 4 or 5 days after, but if i do the exact same workout when that time is up i am only sore for a day or so. hmmm

Like my man LAM said, muscle soreness is not an accurate indicator of a "good" workout. You can perform an movement that you have previously never done with low intensity and as a result experience a high level of soreness post workout, while its possible that you are extremely intense at a familiar movement and soreness may not necessarily be a result. that being said I agree with ya bro, less can defn mean more in your training. I don't personally agree with Mike Mentzer theories in full, but I do agree that less volume can be beneficial sometimes, as long as the intensity level is raised accordingly, otherwise you are just doing less work. I also believe that high volume can be a good thing at times as well. variety is the key in the end

more might be better for me, ive yet to try it though. all I do for chest is 3 exercises 4x6 each exercise.

Well i dont get the same pump i do when i do more so i dont follow the lines of less is more i usually go heavey at first and work down to small and i get a awesome pump from it i dont get very sore my sorness usually lastest a day or two at the most. Just wanted to share that with all of you

If you are doing less volume increase the intensity of the lift.

If you are doing high volume than lifting at a high intensity is almost impossible because after one exercise your output for the rest of the workout wont be what it could/should be. So lower the intensity when volume is high.

I think the volume prescribed in GoPro's programme is spot on for me.

Peace.

Back