• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Type 1 Diabetic needs insulin insight in relation to dieting.

Duncans Donuts

Stay puffed, baby.
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Greetings,

Am a Type 1 diabetic currently dieting. I'm perfectly aware of insulin as a hormone that prevents lipolysis. My question is this: what would the equivalent of injected insulin be to that which a normal person produces daily?

Typically I take Humalog at mealtimes along with work and physical activity to regulate my blood sugar, and have a baseline insulin I take every night (40 IU, Lantus).

I found that I took about 60-70 units throughout the day of humalog on a non diet, and typically about half of that on a caloric deficit (20-40). Is anyone aware of the equivalency that would be to a normal person? Is there any standard of comparison, for that matter?

My research on this topic has garnerned little in return, and any insight (or guesses) will be greatly appreciated.

I believe that you have little hope of finding a good answer to your question since there are so many variables.the production of insulin is related to many factors....the two most important would be receptor sites and # of active beta cells in the islets of lhangerhorn in the pancrease

a person with a high number of highly active insulin receptor sites would require less insulin production than a person with fewer sites or less active ones. Then there is the variablility from meal to meal concerning the amount and type of carbs consumed.

my answer would be dont bother trying to figure it out....not only would it be near impossible but it really wouldnt matter what "normal" is.....what matters is what you need to be taking to maintain your health and acheive your goals.

by the way,
what are your goals at the moment?
get bigger? lose fat? whatever?

Thanks for the reply.

I am dieting quite strictly, and so far have had good success with it. I am also working on timing my insulin w/ workouts to promote nutritent uptake and so forth. I am currently 221.6 pounds and 6 foot 1, down from about 235 at the beginning with the only lapse in strength coming off of my bench press.

I've found that on the diet (except with my workouts and post carbs/protein) I am using about half as much insulin even though I'm well above half the amount of calories that I used to eat. The only high GI carbs I have come when I get low blood sugar, typically at work.

Do you think tracking insulin is an important part of a diabetic's pursuit of a lean physique? Or is it still primarily about aggregate calories?

Back