NapsGear.net

Lifts for outer Bicep

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Rep Points

Lifts for outer Bicep

Is there any isolation lifts that succsefully hit the outer part of the bicep muscle more so than the inner. Like my front double bicep shot is a strong point, but in a read double bicep shot it isnt nearly as impressive. the muscle kind of grows inward. I know thats problaly genitcally dispostioned but I know doing bb curls with a ez bar hits the inner bicep more. I have always done those, and now have switched to straight bar. Any other movements to bring that side up the bicep up.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

i have the same problem and yes there are some more, any bicep curl you do with one bar will work your outer bicep more if you hold your grip towards the center it will hit more on the outer but not only so you dont have to drop the wieght.

Rep Points

So wait close grip on barbell curl with straight bar hits the out Bicep the most? WHat about other exercies, will doing hammer curls help with that?

FLEXecutioner

Rep Points

i started doing BB curls with a real wide grip and i noticed its been hitting the outside more b/c the wider grip you take, the more you tweak your pinky up at the top of the movement...
    You're a funny guy, Sully, I like you. Dat's why I'm going to kill you lahst.

* Got juice?*Need Motivation?*How to Train*
    *Arnold vs. Ronnie vs. Haney vs. Sergio*
    *YEAH BUDDY...LIGHT WEIGHT!*Ahhnold*

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Try a concentration curl. Its tough to use high weights, but if you bring it outside your shoulder or to your shoulder at the top, youll feel it in the outer bi. At least, thats works for me, Ive had the same problem.

Rep Points

dumbbell hammer curls, standing, seated, or incline hammer curls are really amazing.

Try incline as you are restricted to cheating & make sure you keep your head against the bench & not looking upwards & keep your feet either flat on the ground, or on a bench or something.

Rep Points

Let me get this straight:

To hit the Bicep Brachii long head(outer), I want to do hammer curls and curls with wide and/or straight bar.
    To hit the Bicep Brachii short head(inner), I want to do curls with a narrow grip and/or cambered bar.
    To hit the Brachialis, I want to do Preachers curls, concentration curls. Do hammer fall isnt this group also?

Pimp Gimp

Rep Points

PLEASE tell me you guys are kidding.

Look, anatomically, the biceps IS two muscles. But they share insertion points. So structurally, you cannot isolate the "inner" or "outer" portion. We've all through the course of our lifting careers "felt" like we were doing something, and we can even convince ourselves that we SEE changes. But I'm telling you that it isn't possible anatomically.
    yay.

Rep Points

Saturday Fever

Look, anatomically, the biceps IS two muscles. But they share insertion points. So structurally, you cannot isolate the "inner" or "outer" portion. We've all through the course of our lifting careers "felt" like we were doing something, and we can even convince ourselves that we SEE changes. But I'm telling you that it isn't possible anatomically.
    Than what would your expertise suggest?

Pimp Gimp

Rep Points

I would suggest working your biceps. Use whatever grip you want, just understand that regardless of grip you're working the biceps as a whole. Be sure to use curl movements as an accessory to your heavy rowing and pulling lifts. And mind your volume on isolation work.
    yay.

Rep Points

Saturday Fever

would suggest working your biceps. Use whatever grip you want, just understand that regardless of grip you're working the biceps as a whole.
    Be sure to use curl movements as an accessory to your heavy rowing and
    pulling lifts. And mind your volume on isolation work.
    Pretty solid advice.

BTW I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything, I was serious as I know that you are pretty knowledgeable.

Why is it that we're always told that standing barbell/dumbbell curls build overall mass & shape, some form of hammer curls build the outer part of the bicep along with size, & preacher/concentration curls build more shape & bring out the peak to the fullest?

Pimp Gimp

Rep Points

Why is it that we're always told that standing barbell/dumbbell curls build overall mass & shape, some form of hammer curls build the outer part of the bicep along with size, & preacher/concentration curls build more shape & bring out the peak to the fullest?
    Just the myths of bodybuilding being perpetuated over and over again.
    yay.

Rep Points

Saturday Fever

Just the myths of bodybuilding being perpetuated over and over again
    I can see that.

I think I've said this once b4, but for me personally I've found that if I stop doing either preacher or concentration curls, I find that my overall peak begins to fade.

Yet the mass & strength remains.

& if I start doing the preacher/concentraion curls again, my overall peak returns within a couple of weeks?

Pimp Gimp

Rep Points

gopro would tell you that angle of your wrists is causing greater recruitment of the brachialis, which lies under the biceps. By building the muscle that's under your biceps, you would cause your bicep to elevate or "peak."

I don't believe the angle of the wrist can cause that, but I think the idea, in general, is correct. But "peak" has nothing to do with "inner" or "outer."
    yay.

Pimp Gimp

Rep Points

I suppose, based on one's genetics, that if he brachialis inserted really low on the elbow, wrist angle COULD influence it's recruitment.

*ponders*
    yay.

Rep Points

Saturday Fever

gopro would tell you that angle of your wrists is causing greater recruitment of the brachialis, which lies under the biceps. By building the muscle that's under your biceps, you would cause your bicep to elevate or "peak."

I don't believe the angle of the wrist can cause that, but I think the idea, in general, is correct. But "peak" has nothing to do with "inner" or "outer."
    Yes that's what Gopro said exactly in regards to that.

Plus a few years back I would also stop doing hammer curls for awhile & found that the overall size & shape decreased.

& yes you are right peak has nothing to do with inner/outer I was just giving an example.

But I know that if I don't do hammer curls for more than 4 weeks, I will lose over all shape & "some" size.

I suppose, based on one's genetics, that if he brachialis inserted really low on the elbow, wrist angle COULD influence it's recruitment.

*ponders*
    Also very true. Genetics plays a huge part in what muscles develop in size & shape.

Although IMO lowered body fat% is what gives real shape not a certain exercise.

FLEXecutioner

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Fever

no, i'm definitely not kidding.

if i use a close grip, for example, i am not able to peak my bi's at the top of the movement as i am able to when i use a wide grip.

whats so incomprehensible about that?

this is the same arguement that alwasy comes up about inclines not building "upper chest". well guess what. if i were to completely cut out inclines, my upper chest would shrink.

Don't believe me? You don't believe you can isolate a certain part of a muscle? I'll prove it.

take both your hands and "guard your balls" (pardon the expression) as if you were in a wall in soccer. now, flex your pecs as hard as you can. the bottom half and the outer part of my pecs flex real tight and get real hard. but the upper pecs merely tighten a little bit.
    now, stick out your arms at a full arms length like you just pushed somebody. flex your pecs as hard as you can. now, my upper pecs flex real tight and get hard, and the lower portions merely get a little tight.

if that doesnt explain something, i don't know what does...
    You're a funny guy, Sully, I like you. Dat's why I'm going to kill you lahst.

* Got juice?*Need Motivation?*How to Train*
    *Arnold vs. Ronnie vs. Haney vs. Sergio*
    *YEAH BUDDY...LIGHT WEIGHT!*Ahhnold*

Rep Points

FLEX

this is the same arguement that alwasy comes up about inclines not
    building "upper chest". well guess what. if i were to completely cut out
    inclines, my upper chest would shrink.

Don't believe me? You don't believe you can isolate a certain part of a
    muscle? I'll prove it.
    This is exactly how I feel.

If I stopped doing incline presses for my upper chest, it would not only shrink, but it would become really weak & wouldn't build from doing bench press.

Same for other exercises, if all I did was pull downs for back, there wouldn't be much thickness going on.

Or if all I did for shoulders was DB or military presses & stopped doing side delts raises my side delts would shrink & loose their roundness/fullness & rear delt flies, the back part of my shoulders would appear flat.

Or if I stopped doing hammer curls, I'd loose bicep size & overall shape as would I loose peak if I stopped concentration or preacher curls.

But I'm not going to get into all of it b/c it will just be argued don't you agree FLEX?

Anway we know what happens if we stop doing certain expercises such as incline presses.

All I can say is train everything from all angles & grips forms etc... & you will have overall better development.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Flex
    no, i'm definitely not kidding.

if i use a close grip, for example, i am not able to peak my bi's at the top of the movement as i am able to when i use a wide grip.

whats so incomprehensible about that?

this is the same arguement that alwasy comes up about inclines not building "upper chest". well guess what. if i were to completely cut out inclines, my upper chest would shrink.

Don't believe me? You don't believe you can isolate a certain part of a muscle? I'll prove it.

take both your hands and "guard your balls" (pardon the expression) as if you were in a wall in soccer. now, flex your pecs as hard as you can. the bottom half and the outer part of my pecs flex real tight and get real hard. but the upper pecs merely tighten a little bit.
    now, stick out your arms at a full arms length like you just pushed somebody. flex your pecs as hard as you can. now, my upper pecs flex real tight and get hard, and the lower portions merely get a little tight.

if that doesnt explain something, i don't know what does...
    The whole muscle is still contracting, regardless.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Pimp Gimp

Rep Points

OK, here's a quick discredit to the soccer idea. You're taking a situation where you're rotating your shoulders forard and down. What does this do to your pecs? If your front delt applies downward pressure to your pec, which part of the pec will obviously seem more solid or "used?" Right, the bottom. This doesn't mean in any way that you're isolating a lower pec. Anatomy doesn't lie.

Now as far as incline pressing hitting this mysterious "upper chest", I've said this before but I'll repeat. Genetically, speaking, your front delt may insert very well, or to translate, it may insert under your pec. Yes it happens, no it isn't uncommon. Now physiology says that when you're doing an incline press, you cause a greater recruitment of your front delt than you would in a flat or decline press. And as we all know, stimulation equals hypertrophy. And since you may or may not be one of those people whos delt inserts high, I argue that your delt is growing and pushing up and out on your pec, creating the appearance of an "upper chest." And anatomy and physiology would both agree with me. Unless we're to believe all of a sudden that science is bullshit?
    yay.

Rep Points

OK, here's a quick discredit to the soccer idea. You're taking a situation where you're rotating your shoulders forard and down. What does this do to your pecs? If your front delt applies downward pressure to your pec, which part of the pec will obviously seem more solid or "used?" Right, the bottom. This doesn't mean in any way that you're isolating a lower pec. Anatomy doesn't lie.

Now as far as incline pressing hitting this mysterious "upper chest", I've said this before but I'll repeat. Genetically, speaking, your front delt may insert very well, or to translate, it may insert under your pec. Yes it happens, no it isn't uncommon. Now physiology says that when you're doing an incline press, you cause a greater recruitment of your front delt than you would in a flat or decline press. And as we all know, stimulation equals hypertrophy. And since you may or may not be one of those people whos delt inserts high, I argue that your delt is growing and pushing up and out on your pec, creating the appearance of an "upper chest." And anatomy and physiology would both agree with me. Unless we're to believe all of a sudden that science is bullshit?
    I agree totally... What is all this about making a muscle grow in diffenent ways.. a muscle either all grows or not at all.

Rep Points

UZi9

I agree totally... What is all this about making a muscle grow in diffenent ways.. a muscle either all grows or not at all.
    I know that Saturday fever is very knowledeable (I mean it), but I'm going to have agree with Uzi9 as well.

Pimp Gimp

Rep Points

So you agree with the guy who agrees with me? Good deal.
    yay.

Monochromatic Bunny

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi9
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny
    UZi9
    I know that Saturday fever is very knowledeable (I mean it), but I'm going to have agree with Uzi9 as well.

UNLEASH THE BEAST
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Johhhnnnnyyyyy's not all there
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain...

Woof! Woof! Woof!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I still believe that ones grip will allow you to focus emphasis on different parts of the bicep, such as close grip on Outer Bicep, and wide grip on inner. Flex's chest analogy seems to describe this concept.
    - O F F I C I A L . L I N K . M A S T E R -
    Maintains a Reference to all Gopros P/RR/S Links
    Gopros latest routines:

Lift like a Chicken Look Like a Chicken

Rep Points

Forgive me as I typed in a hurry & misunderstood, as I'm trying to work on some data bases & just coming online once in awhile in a hurry.

rock4832

Johhhnnnnyyyyy's not all there
    As I said I'm not really paying attention to everything that's going on here tonight as I'm working on databases for work so I misunderstood.

You know how it is when you're working, everything around you doesn't matter that much & you don't pay much attention to it as you're focus is work.

I agree with Flex's opinion. Sorry about that.

But Saturday Fever you are still very knowledgeable about many other things.

Back to work

Pimp Gimp

Rep Points

I've proven his opinion wrong. So agree with whatever you'd like. Right has been explained either way.
    yay.

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

I do not think anyone here has big enough arms to even worry about this.

Just do fricking curls for christ's sake!

Once you get your arms to 20inches then you can start worrying about the inner and outer...

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast