• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

stretching

cmason2004

I do what I want!
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
What do all of you do regarding streching? I occasionally spend a few minutes loosening up before my workout, but I dont really have a routine, and I'm wondering if I should take it a little more seriously.

For more than 10 years I have spent an hour every single morning at 6am (weekends too) stretching my entire body. Its part of a 2 hour stretching and breathing routine. I have never had an injury, I am always supple, Ive never been sick, and Im flexible as all get out. I firmly believe this helps me in the gym because its very much like yoga and I see the benefits of it all day long since I dont get all Van Damme with my stretching. Its the one thing I would do if I had to chose one physical activity to keep up.

Metal, I love that sig.

As for stretching, its obviously real important before and during lifting to prevent a pull. Ive made the mistake of squatting without any serious strech beforehand, and Ive paid for it. Basically, IMO, its real important, definately worth spending 10 minutes on before warming up and then again between sets. Youve got that time between sets anyways, why not use it streching?

I usually spend 10mins stretching the muscles I'm going to be working that day before I start the work out & sometimes in between sets & a few mins after a work out.

du510 said:
Metal, I love that sig.

As for stretching, its obviously real important before and during lifting to prevent a pull. Ive made the mistake of squatting without any serious strech beforehand, and Ive paid for it. Basically, IMO, its real important, definately worth spending 10 minutes on before warming up and then again between sets. Youve got that time between sets anyways, why not use it streching?

stretching before training does not prevent injury...post wo stretching is the most beneficial time to stretch after the muscles, tendosn and ligaments are warm and pliable...

I agree stretching post WO is important, but also during the workout and beforehand. It has always made a difference to me.

I agree with LAM. Pre-w/o stretching can actually be detrimental to your body unless your someone like Metal V who makes it a major part of his life. For the average gym goer or cardio person you need to get the muscles, ligament, and tendons warmed up before stretching them.

Robert DiMaggio said:
right, you do not stretch before a work-out, or squats, or whatever, you warm-up by riding a bike, elyptical, etc., but stretching should be done after your training.
:thumb:

LAM said:
stretching before training does not prevent injury...post wo stretching is the most beneficial time to stretch after the muscles, tendosn and ligaments are warm and pliable...
I have to agree 100% here guys. The stretching I do every morning is for overall health. As I said, it keeps my muscles supple and limber and provides all manner of health benefits. ALONG with the breathing exercises, that is.

But stretching before workouts is not something I do anymore. I just dont see the point. Before workouts I do 5 minutes or so of light cardio to get the blood flowing. Thats all. Stretching AFTER workouts IS something I perform religiously. LAM stated the reasons why.

As I said, Ive never had an injury *knock on wood* since I began doing this every morning, and for a 38 year old man, my body is better conditioned than people 10 years younger. Im not one of those people that groan when they stand up or cant sit in a certain position. I firmly believe it carries over to my weight training. I really do. Another point I love is all of my family is showing their age except me :D . My younger brother is now my older brother, lol.

There are many, many benefits to stretching and it should be something in and of itself, not just something one does here and there. Most here dont like WWE, but lets look at all the injuries they recieve. The one guy who has never had an injury is Rob Van Damm, and he stretches religiously for 45 minutes EVER DAY. :rocker:

IML Gear Cream!
Robert DiMaggio

right, you do not stretch before a work-out, or squats, or whatever, you warm-up by riding a bike, elyptical, etc., but stretching should be done after your training.

So do you think that it prevents injury stretching b4 a workout?

I sure believe stretching b4 a workout does help prevent injury.

We would spend 20mins stretching b4 every football practice/game & 15mins stretching after every football practice/game.

You're not going to go into a leg workout & squat 350-400lbs w/o stretching first.

Johnnny said:
Robert DiMaggio

We would spend 20mins stretching b4 every football practice/game & 15mins stretching after every football practice/game.

You're not going to go into a leg workout & squat 350-400lbs w/o stretching first.
That was my train of thought, and always has been. But, Im always learning new things. Maybe I'm wrong.

You really need to be warmed up! If you stretch your muscles cold, it's like putting a rubberband in the fridge, pulling it out and trying to stretch it. It'll snap. Your more prone to injury stretching a cold muscle. Warm up on the bike, get the blood flowing and then work your way up in squat. Stretch afterward.

DU510

That was my train of thought, and always has been. But, Im always learning new things. Maybe I'm wrong.

No you aren't wrong.

Yes it's a good idea to do a couple of mins on the bike or treadmill for a light warm up, but you really need to stretch first.

Not stretching b4 a workout or sports event is insane.

It must be done both b4 & after a workout or practice or game or whatever physical

rock4832 said:
You really need to be warmed up! If you stretch your muscles cold, it's like putting a rubberband in the fridge, pulling it out and trying to stretch it. It'll snap. Your more prone to injury stretching a cold muscle. Warm up on the bike, get the blood flowing and then work your way up in squat. Stretch afterward.
BINGO!!

Exactly. Oh man did that ever need to be stressed. NEVER stretch a cold muscle. NEVER EVER EVER. rock just gave us a perfect metaphor as to why. Even in the mornings, I never stretch them cold right out of the bed. I sit in my lotus position and do my breathing first. Then its on to light stretching, letting gravity do it. NO BOUNCING. After about 30 minutes of this, I throw in the serious stretches where I pull.

Sorry johnny, I have to disagree with you. As rock stated, unless you make stretching a major point of your life, like I do, stretching before a workout is can be detrimental. NOT ALWAYS...but the potential is raised. Its the WARM UP, that is important. Thats why instead of stretching, I chose to do a few minutes on my stationary bike or even my stair stepper. Like I said, I dont stretch before workouts. EVER. And Im not seeing any negative effects. I save the stretching for post workout, when it can give me the most benefits. Makes no sense why anyone would do something when its not optimal.

i stretch for legs only. For everything else i just warm up with light weights. Never been injured.

Also, what does stretching pwo do? ive never done this except for legs.

sabre81 said:
i stretch for legs only. For everything else i just warm up with light weights. Never been injured.

Also, what does stretching pwo do? ive never done this except for legs.
Well I cant give you the "science" behind it, but stretching has been done for ages simply because of the health benefits. Just look at yoga. In the PWO scenario, it helps me by increasing the circulation. So with that being said, its better to stretch the muscle when its warm, not cold.

I never meant to downplay warming up, I just didnt bring it up because I thought this was more about stretching. Now thats its been brought into the conversation, I agree 100% with Johnn(n)y. I usually ride the stationary bike for 5 min, then stretch, then lift, then stretch. Its always warmed up, I never stretch cold. But, I DO recommend stretching beforehand.

these two cats are correct, no progressive stretching before training. it can be used a rehabilitation afterwards, but its not a good idea pre WO

Johnnny

serisouly dude, have you ever done any factual based research before you open your mouth. once again here you are making statements before even knowing anything about it besides whatever you are basing your opinion on. Stretching pre WO is bad for your tendons and ligaments and WILL make you weaker. it in no way prevents injury even thats the common belief. Why don't you read up on it before remaining so injudiciously adamant on the subject. ya know, when I first heard this line of thinking I too was hesitant to believe it b/c it was a new way of thinking that challenged my previously uneducated beliefs.Once I took the time to research the subject however I found that I was wrong. Please do not respond to this until you have educated yourself on the subject btw. it will accomplish nothing other than to further piss people off. serisouly, ths info is out there, read it, then comment.

IML Gear Cream!
i dont know about you guys, but i have like a whole 10-15 pre w.o. routine.

i take 2.5lbers and make big circles wit my arms. then i do
3x15 of laterals with the 2.5s
the i take a light bar and do a set or two of bent rows, curls, shoulder presses, upright rows and a few sets of pushups.

not only does this get me loose and ready to go, it gives me a little pre wo pump which gets me all fired up to handle the LIGHT WEIGHT

Flex said:
i take 2.5lbers and make big circles wit my arms. then i do
3x15 of laterals with the 2.5s
the i take a light bar and do a set or two of bent rows, curls, shoulder presses, upright rows and a few sets of pushups.

I do something similar on upper body work-out days.

Well I'll tell you what I will go against what I've believed & been taught.

& I will not stretch b4 a workout, I will only do a 1-2mins warm up on the treadmill.

But I'll let you know what happens.

But I guess it was pointless to spend 20mins stretching & warming up b4 every football practice/game?

I guess we should've just went out on the field & played 60mins of football unstretched?

Why is it that you always see the football & hockey players warming up & stretching for 20mins b4 the game starts?

I guess they shouldn't be doing it. Someone should tell the trainers to make their players go into the game/practice unstretched & I guess they'll play better & not hurt themselves.

dammit, did you read the article at all?? it doesn't say, nor did anyone here inply that you should go do any type of intense excercise whether it be weight training or football without warming up, so don't out words into our mouths. Seriously, drop whatever you are doing right now and read the god damm article, jesus christs you are stubborn. I don't wanna see another word until you have done so. and btw weight training and running are to completely different things, you cannot compare the two.

I usually do some light stretching after my 2nd and 3rd set of warmpup squats. I also do 5 - 10 minutes of cardio before each workout. 5 on legs day 10 on any of the upper body days.

Johnnny said:
But I guess it was pointless to spend 20mins stretching & warming up b4 every football practice/game?

warming up yes, static stretching no, dynamic stretching yes.

understand?

Robert DiMaggio

understand?

I guess, but why did they always make us do it first?

since when do highschool football coaches have the knowledge of weight lifting that they should? I speak from experience when I say that every football coach on that level has been very clueless when it comes to the proper way to train his players. besides do you believe everything everyone tells you. alot of the injuries that you see in basketball and football are definately preventable if the proper knowledge was applied man, not everyone is an expert at everything.

HAHAHAHA. God you gotta love this guy. :laugh:

And he only believes things that are told to him by others outside of this forum

Robert DiMaggio

understand?

What's the difference? I've always been told that stretching is stretching & is there to prevent injury.

gr81

since when do highschool football coaches have the knowledge of weight lifting that they should? I speak from experience when I say that every football coach on that level has been very clueless when it comes to the proper way to train his players. besides do you believe everything everyone tells you. alot of the injuries that you see in basketball and football are definately preventable if the proper knowledge was applied man, not everyone is an expert at everything.

First it wasn't just highschool football, but also college football that followed the same principles of stretching & training.

As for a highschool coach having knowlede of weight lifting?

Well we had a local bodybuilder as our strength coach who also played football for years.

& in college our coach wasn't the one who delt with training & conditioning.
We had a nationally ranked power lifter who moved from Germany who also did boxing.

So he knew about strength training & speed/conditioning training.

Back