• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Skull Crushers vs CG Bench

Tough Old Man

Banned Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Although I have 19" arms I feel sometimes they kinda look funny. Not having good mass in the bicep I have great strenght in my arms due to exceptionally lg triceps. Since my biceps don't want to develope like i want, i'm going to go for even more mass in the tricep area. Which one of the two exercises do you feel adds more mass? Skull Crushers vs CG Bench

CGs I feel are better, no matter how you do a skull crusher it always places more strain in the elbow. Its also how Dorian tore his tricep if it matters to you.

mudge, try the skull crushers how arnold suggests, have your head hanging out of the bench so your arms are at an angle and you have a bigger ROM.. i always thought it put too much strain when doing it "the right way" but when i tried the other way, i REALLY felt my triceps being worked

reverse grip BP is another good one for the triceps...

hey guys, i know this is very irrelevant but what does "word" mean? people use it all the time and i don't wanna look like a dumbass to ask them lol... please don't make fun me of me.. what does it mean? you know how someone says something and the other person is like "word"

:haha:

It means that they agree with them. Also it should be spelled 'werd'. Its just slang. ;)

skullcrusher = more long head (inner head) work
CG bench = more lateral head (outer head) work

both are very good mass builder, for skullcrusher you can reduce the amount of pressure on your elbows by bringing the bar low behind your head, it also gives your triceps a better stretch and puts more stress on the long head. it protects your elbows in the long term.

Thanks motality, i'll give yours a try.

At 52 and an ex lifter 20 years ago i do have some pretty f-ckin ugly big knotted elbows. Even after this return now into my 4th month there starting there sh-t again. Hurt like hell when doing skulls

IML Gear Cream!
Tough Old Man said:
Thanks motality, i'll give yours a try.

At 52 and an ex lifter 20 years ago i do have some pretty f-ckin ugly big knotted elbows. Even after this return now into my 4th month there starting there sh-t again. Hurt like hell when doing skulls
If you're having problems with your elbows now, I would skip skullcrushers and do plenty of CG benches. Try both flat and decline versions.

pumpthatiron said:
mudge, try the skull crushers how arnold suggests, have your head hanging out of the bench so your arms are at an angle and you have a bigger ROM.. i always thought it put too much strain when doing it "the right way" but when i tried the other way, i REALLY felt my triceps being worked

You can angle them on an incline bench as well, I enjoy them to a degree, but they still hit my elbows. I dropped them from my routine last week after I smashed my left elbow into a wall, because I knew the strain they would place would ruin my workout and possibly take 2 or 3 weeks of progress away from me.

I could also have beer with my chicken as Arnold suggests.

Currently I am using a lever machine for triceps. It is pretty isolated and makes less use of abs musles than tricep push down. CG is a pretty good one except that it also uses chest musles to some extent.

moon said:
Currently I am using a lever machine for triceps. It is pretty isolated and makes less use of abs musles than tricep push down. CG is a pretty good one except that it also uses chest musles to some extent.

You dont need to go all the way down, I stop about 2-3 inches short of hitting the chest. Very little chest is used.

#)(!UR_U

Skulls are better for one head and CG Bench is better for the other? Who taught you that, BULLSHIT Magazine?

What possible basis do you have for believing, let alone saying, something like that?

Here's the long and the short of it. You will lift more doing a close-grip bench. You will lift more and do the same amount of reps. (ie, you can do a set of 8 skulls with 105, but you can do 8 cg presses with 165)

Now, taking into account that hypertrophy = time against tension and tension against time, what do you think if going to be more beneficial?

^ I agree.

pumpthatiron said:
shut up moon

:finger: that is not the way to get Kashmir back. Do not spoil a good tread.

If it matters to anyone my all time fav tricep routine is a skullcrusher/close grip bp superset. I start with the skullcrusher (I see so many people using a weight that is much too heavy for skullcrushers; their form stinks and their training partner is doing all the work...This is torture on the poor elbows!!) and do as many reps with perfect form as I can and as soon as another rep is impossible I start immediately into the close grip presses with the same weight that I was using for the skullcrushers...

The results I got from this combo were incredible..well worth a try if ya have lagging triceps.

IML Gear Cream!
Saturday Fever said:
#)(!UR_U

Skulls are better for one head and CG Bench is better for the other? Who taught you that, BULLSHIT Magazine?

What possible basis do you have for believing, let alone saying, something like that?

Here's the long and the short of it. You will lift more doing a close-grip bench. You will lift more and do the same amount of reps. (ie, you can do a set of 8 skulls with 105, but you can do 8 cg presses with 165)

Now, taking into account that hypertrophy = time against tension and tension against time, what do you think if going to be more beneficial?

Saturday, why must you continue with this "they are attached at the same point so they work evenly no matter what exercise you do" BULLSHIT. You are the only fucking person in the world who thinks this. Lets see, believe Ronnie Coleman, Arnold, Jay Culter, Gunther or Saturday? hmm. When you win the Mr O or even fucking compete, I will think about maybe listening to you. Until, shut the fuck up. We have and about a million other bodybuilders have proven you wrong.

Can we be adults here? This wasn't meant to be a kiddy forum.

Mudge said:
Can we be adults here? This wasn't meant to be a kiddy forum.

Are you referring to what I said Mudge? If I offended you, my bad, I only meant to stop his BS banter. Sorry

MTN WARRIOR said:
Saturday, why must you continue with this "they are attached at the same point so they work evenly no matter what exercise you do" BULLSHIT.

Awesome. ANNOUNCEMENT: SCIENCE IS BULLSHIT. Thanks MTN WARRIOR, for clearing that up. Now kids everywhere can stop taking those boring biology and chemistry classes in school Hell, may as well rule Mathematics out as well. You'll be revered as a hero from now on.

You are the only fucking person in the world who thinks this.

Yeah. I could list thousands of others, but why bother. You speak unintelligently, nothing I say is going to penetrate your thick head.

Lets see, believe Ronnie Coleman, Arnold, Jay Culter, Gunther or Saturday? hmm. When you win the Mr O or even fucking compete, I will think about maybe listening to you. Until, shut the fuck up. We have and about a million other bodybuilders have proven you wrong.

1) Have you ever listened to these guys actually talk? They're imbeciles. They don't write their own articles, they're ghost-written. If you don't know that, you're very naive.
2) Show me any instance where I have been proven wrong. I dare you.

EVERYONE SAYS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU SAY. Get that through your thick head. IF it wasnt the case then every bb in the world would just do bb curls for biceps , BP for chest, CG for triceps, you get my point. You are the ONLY person saying this. It isnt science, it is your interpretation of science moron. And it is flawed, wrong and contradicted by EVERYONE. So, I don't have to prove anything, everyone in the world already has. Until you are a Nobel Prize Science Winner, you are wrong. One more time, EVERYONE SAYS YOU ARE WRONG. :barf:

Mountain warrior, I agree with him. Not everyone by any stertch says he's wrong. And even if they did, this does not indicate that he is wrong and everyone else is right via strength of numbers. Everyone used to believe that the Earth was flat, sun revolved around the Earth, etc. Of course, just because everyone believed it didn't make it so.

Instead of yelling and screaming and saying he's wrong, say why he is wrong. If you can't, you've lost the argument, bro.

MTN WARRIOR said:
EVERYONE SAYS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU SAY. Get that through your thick head. IF it wasnt the case then every bb in the world would just do bb curls for biceps , BP for chest, CG for triceps, you get my point. You are the ONLY person saying this. It isnt science, it is your interpretation of science moron. And it is flawed, wrong and contradicted by EVERYONE. So, I don't have to prove anything, everyone in the world already has. Until you are a Nobel Prize Science Winner, you are wrong. One more time, EVERYONE SAYS YOU ARE WRONG. :barf:
Not to take one side or the other but, everyone once said the World was flat also, and everyone believed it because veryone else said it.

Personally I think both sides have their proofs and disproofs.

Sorry, I also see on the same line SF does. Like Duncan said, prove him wrong. But you cant.

MTN Warrior, i dun want to pick a fight...but i must agree with SF on this. You do realize that the pro's don't really know shit when it somes to training. They have trainers telling them how to train, they have nutritionists telling them what to eat and doctors telling them what to shoot in their ass.

Now go take a college level kinesiology course and come back to argue your point.

Let me re-phrase then, as you are correct. The ROUTINE the pros use is indisuptable. And as far as I remember, I don't recall any of my physiology or biology teachers saying what Saturday is saying. Too bad he wasnt my teacher. Just because they have the same insertion points (a fact) doesn't mean what he says. He is interpreting that for himself. NOONE ELSE AGREES WITH HIM. I dont doubt that they have the same insertion points. I say that different exercises will stimulate the muscle differently, better or worse. So do all the EMG studies. (FACT)

Back