college bulk?

Thread: college bulk?

Rep Points

college bulk?

hey guys, im in college, freshman, and im bulking up.

im 5'8, 156, coming off of a 5 month cut

just wondering what you guys think of my eating regimine.

meal 1
    plate of eggs
    cup of yogurt w. granola

meal 2
    subway -wheat bread, 2 chicken breasts, southwest chipotle sauce, cheese

meal 3
    pasta w/ pesto sauce and chicken (19 grams of fats, 55 carbs, 27 grams protein)

meal 4
    preworkout fruit smoothie with 1 scoop whey

meal 5
    postworkout fruit smoothie with 2 scoops whey

meal 6
    pasta w/ pesto sauce and chicken or

whole wheat sandwhich with ham and turkey and cheddar.

please understand that i have limited options...how does this look?
    im trying to bulk with a roughly 50 percent carbs, 20 percent protein, 30 percent fats...

feedback appreciated..

Rep Points

20% protein and your are bulking? I don't think anyone should bulk with less than 40% protein.

What are your macros?

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Monochromatic Bunny

Rep Points

You are not eating enough even for a cutting phase.

Amor Fati

Rep Points

post either macro's or amounts of food...for example you had plate of eggs, how many eggs? whites or whole eggs or a mix of both etc.

I'd have to agree with Jodi...more protein.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge." -Barry Marshall, Nobel Laureate

Rep Points

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies...

20% protein on a bulk is what will brink reccomends...im getting in about 1 gram/lb of body weight. During my cut i was doing a NHE type diet, so im trying to get alot more carbs in me now, shock my body a little bit..

I eat at my college cafeteria, so i cant tell y'all exactly what im getting in terms of number of eggs...its a nice plate, i'd say about 5 eggs worth. i ate eggs 2-3 times a day for about 5 months so i have a good idea..

the yogurt is a cup i'd say.

i got the nutrition facts for the pasta/ chicken dish which i eat 2wice a day usually...
    its 18 grams fat, 2.8 saturated. 27 grams protein. 57 carbs.

I don't understand how you could say this is not enough food for a cut even? Maybe i didn't post an accurate enough menu...here, i'll post two days out of my journal..

9/9/04

Meal 1
    Plate of eggs
    Cup of yogurt, granola

Meal 2
    Apple
    Subway – Wheat, double chicken, cheese, Spicy Dijon Sauce

Meal 3
    Pasta w/ Pesto and chicken
    1 scoop Muscle Provider
    5 grams creatine select

Meal 4 (Postworkout)
    Strawberry Smoothie
    1.5 scoops Muscle provider

Meal 5
    Steamed Chicken w/ Brown Sauce

Meal 6
    Whole Wheat Bread, All natural Peanut Butter

Meal 7
    Muscle Milk w/ Skim Milk

-------
    9/10/04

Meal 1
    Plate of eggs
    Yogurt w/ granola

Meal 2
    Pesto Pasta w/ chicken

Meal 3
    2 scoops Muscle Milk

Meal 4
    2 scoops Muscle Milk

Meal 5
    Pesto Pasta w/ chicken

Meal 6
    Multi Grain Bread, Turkey, Ham, Cheddar

Meal 7
    Pesto Pasta w. chicken

...thats a training day and a non-training day....

again, all feedback is GREATLY appreciated. i cant get big without you guys!

dave..

Rep Points

hey guys, 2 pictures of me, just so u kind of know where im at... lighting is shitty in both pics, and they are from about 4 weeks ago..but just so u get an idea..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Follow @TheUnzippedFly

Rep Points

Very good man. I am no one to talk, but I hope you don't throw all that away on drinking and doing drugs in college.

I love the idea of drinking occassionally, and thats pretty much as far as I will go, but I just hope College doesn't ruin my bodybuilding career or whatever you want to call it.

Rep Points

thanks sox. any comments on the diet now that i've posted up 2 days of my journal?

thanks in advance..

Monochromatic Bunny

Rep Points

Your body is looking better than mine, you should be giving me advice lol
    How many calories in your current diet?

Follow @TheUnzippedFly

Rep Points

His arms and chest look real good... I think he looks better than most of us here on IM..

I do what I want!

Rep Points

I'm not one to really tear apart your diet, I'm sure mine is much worse.

I will be a freshman this year as well. This is all the good stuff your school has to offer? I think when I go to school, my diet will probably improve because there is so much to choose from that is already prepared. Not the case for you?

maybe I got the wrong impression of your first post, but it seemed like you were asking for help since you were limited at school.

where are you going?

Rep Points

I'm @ wash u in st. louis. Actually was #1 for food 2 years back in the princeton review hah. This is the food that fits into my diet. They also hav a grill where i can get steak, shrimp, chicken made up fresh, but it gets kind of pricy....

the pasta bowls, fresh made hot sandwiches, and subway is the way i usually go..

we also have a burrito, quesadilla station...pizza...just not bbuilder friendly stuff...

Tom_B

Rep Points

if your trying to bulk you defentitly need more protein/calories, lol I'm eating more than you and I'm 5'8 and 120 pounds and I'm still not gaining weight, if I were you I'd be following a 40/40/20 split eating about 3000 calories (you'll probabaly need to eat more than that). Try and mix up your carbs/protein and protein/fats more evenly (take the amount of carbs, protein and fat you eat in a day and divide each by 7 and you'll know how much of each you should have at each meal) like when your eating your pesto chicken try eating a can of tuna on the side to have more protein cause your eating alot of carbs, and when you have the whole wheat and natural PB throw in some chicken or more tuna cause once again your eating to many carbs without a good amount of protein. And when your eating your muscle milk try throwing in some complexed carbs like rice, whole wheat bread, oatmeal etc.

Rep Points

Tom B, from the looks of things - we have very different bodytypes. Your an ecto, I'm an endo/meso. And at 120 pounds I'm pretty sure you'd grow on my diet, though i know that everyone's different....

a question for anyone who knows the answer - is there any data that shows more than 1 gram protein/ lb of bodyweight is beneficial when carbohydrates and fats are relatively high?

And keeping with all of your suggestions, i am going to add 1 scoop of whey to my breakfast, and 2 scoops of micellar cassein before bed...also, i'm going to start taking zma, cla, and V12 as soon as they arrive in the mail...

dont be shy, respond!

dave

Tom_B

Rep Points

everyone keeps saying I'm an ecto but I'm not, if I ate junk food I'd be huge, I use to be oevrweight to the point where I had knee problem cause they couldn't support or at least thats what the doctor said.
    Basically to keep it simple Eat X amount of calories using some sort of split (40/40/20 is good) and eat 1.5 x your weight in protein. if your still not gaining after that then keep increasing the calories by 200 or 300 every week untill you do.

Rep Points

tom, how old are you?

Tom_B

Rep Points

I'm 15, I'll be turning 16 in 2 months

Rep Points

hey guys. just an update.

im now 168 in the morning. fat gain is not too bad, muscle and strength is way up.
    i started a doggcrapp cycle on monday, so we're gonna train this way till i get to a solid 180.

my diet right now is:

meal 1:
    tons of eggs

meal 2:
    pasta
    2 chicken breasts

meal 3:
    4 chicken breasts
    2 slices multigrain bread

meal 4: (preworkout)
    2 scoops protein, pasta

meal 5: post workout