NapsGear.net


Bench pressing

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Bench pressing

  1. #1
    ats that one
    Thrift's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    30
    Rep Points
    19327

    Bench pressing






    Ok, I got high school and I guess im pretty strong. At weight traing class I benched 225 with a little easeonly a little. And some of the other guy it was kinda of harder for them.But I have short arm and they re arms a re longer so is it the same as them lifting 225 as it is for me?

  2. #2
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    baja calif, Mexico
    Posts
    6,932
    Rep Points
    10

    1st are you still in school or have you graduated. 2nd I would forget the bench pressing and go back and take english 101 so someone could understand what the hell your asking.

  3. #3
    Pimp Gimp
    Saturday Fever's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,113
    Rep Points
    2193788

    Mechanically, a longer set of arms will have to produce more power to bench the same weight as a shorter set of arms.

    Power = Work / Time

    Work, in this case is a longer ROM, and hence the power would have to increase. This is not taking into account different grips. I'm just using a base to answer your question.
    yay.

  4. #4
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    65
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Fever
    Mechanically, a longer set of arms will have to produce more power to bench the same weight as a shorter set of arms.

    Power = Work / Time

    Work, in this case is a longer ROM, and hence the power would have to increase. This is not taking into account different grips. I'm just using a base to answer your question.
    Are shorter arms then more advantageous for other excercises like BB curls? Or for that matter, does being taller/bigger give someone an advantage/disadvantage lifting?

    A friend of mine told me a while ago that having longer arms/longer muscles gives an advantage because of more leverage. I don't know about that but a 150lb 5'9'' aquaintance of mine can bench 300lbs 10x, as he claims he has some sort of pectoral anomaly where the muscle is attached farther away than it normally is for a guy his size.

  5. #5
    Pimp Gimp
    Saturday Fever's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,113
    Rep Points
    2193788

    A lift like BB Curls is really more about the length of the biceps rather than the length of the arm. There are advantages and disadvantages to being tall and being short.
    yay.

  6. #6
    NGA/IFPA Pro Bodybuilder
    BOARD REP
    gopro's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    GLOBAL!
    Posts
    11,169
    Rep Points
    33417782

    Quote Originally Posted by DOS Forever
    Are shorter arms then more advantageous for other excercises like BB curls? Or for that matter, does being taller/bigger give someone an advantage/disadvantage lifting?

    A friend of mine told me a while ago that having longer arms/longer muscles gives an advantage because of more leverage. I don't know about that but a 150lb 5'9'' aquaintance of mine can bench 300lbs 10x, as he claims he has some sort of pectoral anomaly where the muscle is attached farther away than it normally is for a guy his size.
    Oh I certainly believe that a shorter arm is advantageous in curling motions. With a longer arm, the weight would be further away from the body at the most difficult point of the lift, and the further from the body it is, the less leverage you will have. In addition, the arc of the curl would be much longer with longer arms. Combined, this makes it harder to curl with longer limbs.

    *NATURAL PRO BODYBUILDER
    *MONTHLY COLUMNIST FOR PLANET MUSCLE, NATURAL MUSCLE AND IRONMAN MAGAZINES
    *CEO OF BROSERBUILT.COM
    *PIONEER OF POWER/REP RANGE/SHOCK AND FIBER DAMAGE/FIBER SATURATION TRAINING PROTOCOLS

  7. #7
    Cutting sucks.
    DimebagDarrell's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Jacksonville
    Posts
    774
    Rep Points
    293796

    its all about torque. muscles produce torque, which is length * force. the farther the length, the greater torque needed by the muscle.
    cutting sucks.

  8. #8
    NGA/IFPA Pro Bodybuilder
    BOARD REP
    gopro's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    GLOBAL!
    Posts
    11,169
    Rep Points
    33417782

    Quote Originally Posted by DimebagDarrell
    its all about torque. muscles produce torque, which is length * force. the farther the length, the greater torque needed by the muscle.
    I have one thing to say to that.....


    ******NICE AVATAR******


    *NATURAL PRO BODYBUILDER
    *MONTHLY COLUMNIST FOR PLANET MUSCLE, NATURAL MUSCLE AND IRONMAN MAGAZINES
    *CEO OF BROSERBUILT.COM
    *PIONEER OF POWER/REP RANGE/SHOCK AND FIBER DAMAGE/FIBER SATURATION TRAINING PROTOCOLS

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Mudge's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    24,463
    Rep Points
    117244243

    Part of maxing out your bench press is shortening the stroke, in fact there is an article on it. The shorter distance moved, the less work is done.

    http://www.houseofpainironwear.com/a...eaponeight.htm

  10. #10
    Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Mudge's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    24,463
    Rep Points
    117244243

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Fever
    Power = Work / Time
    I'm glad somebody "got high school"

  11. #11
    Pimp Gimp
    Saturday Fever's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,113
    Rep Points
    2193788

    I never took any quality science in high school. I was too busy screwing around and believing I was the next big thing in Olympic Volleyball.

    It was until college that I realized I was too short and just an average player at that level. That's when I became a science nerd.
    yay.

  12. #12
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,844
    Rep Points
    10

    Shorter arms are definitely an advantage to someone who's much taller & has longer arms as they have more distance to bring the weight down Vs. a shorter person who has less range of motion to bring the weight down.

  13. #13
    Fueled by Testosterone
    MODERATOR
    CowPimp's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    15,929
    Rep Points
    16817091

    Shorter arms are definitely advantageous in many movements. However, there are also drawbacks.

    For example, I believe (Please correct me if I am wrong) shorter arms are a disadvantage in deadlifting because you have to increase your ROM to compensate. The same is true for long legs when it comes to deadlifting.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

    CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

  14. #14
    ats that one
    Thrift's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    30
    Rep Points
    19327

    Quote Originally Posted by Tough Old Man
    1st are you still in school or have you graduated. 2nd I would forget the bench pressing and go back and take english 101 so someone could understand what the hell your asking.
    1st yes im still in high school2nd im asking is it the same as someone with short arms benching 225 as someone with long arm

  15. #15
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    65
    Rep Points
    10

    I should've known all that, being an engineering student, but I have no knowledge of human anatomy, really.

    Work = Force x Distance

    Since both a longer and shorter limbed person are acting upon the same force, the Earth's and the BB/DD/whatever's mutual attraction (F=G(m1m2/r^2)), the longer limbed person would be doing more work lifting the BB/DD/whatever farther.

  16. #16
    NGA/IFPA Pro Bodybuilder
    BOARD REP
    gopro's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    GLOBAL!
    Posts
    11,169
    Rep Points
    33417782






    Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp
    Shorter arms are definitely advantageous in many movements. However, there are also drawbacks.

    For example, I believe (Please correct me if I am wrong) shorter arms are a disadvantage in deadlifting because you have to increase your ROM to compensate. The same is true for long legs when it comes to deadlifting.
    If you are tall you have longer arms...deadlifting advantage
    If you are tall you have longer legs...deadlifting disadvantage

    If you are short you have shorter arms...deadlifting disadvantage
    If you are short you have shorter legs...deadlifting advantage

    They seem to cancel each other out in this equation

    *NATURAL PRO BODYBUILDER
    *MONTHLY COLUMNIST FOR PLANET MUSCLE, NATURAL MUSCLE AND IRONMAN MAGAZINES
    *CEO OF BROSERBUILT.COM
    *PIONEER OF POWER/REP RANGE/SHOCK AND FIBER DAMAGE/FIBER SATURATION TRAINING PROTOCOLS

Similar Threads

  1. Bench Pressing accident
    By darkt in forum Open Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 12:13 AM
  2. Bench pressing without a spot?
    By Warren[BigW] in forum Training
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 07:27 PM
  3. bench pressing
    By russianalex in forum Training
    Replies: 559
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 12:14 PM
  4. Bench Pressing
    By gettinstarted18 in forum Training
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 08:25 AM
  5. ROM During Bench Pressing
    By Maki Riddington in forum Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2001, 05:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DISABLED END -->