NapsGear.net

Bench pressing

Thread: Bench pressing

ats that one

Rep Points

Bench pressing

Ok, I got high school and I guess im pretty strong. At weight traing class I benched 225 with a little easeonly a little. And some of the other guy it was kinda of harder for them.But I have short arm and they re arms a re longer so is it the same as them lifting 225 as it is for me?

Rep Points

1st are you still in school or have you graduated. 2nd I would forget the bench pressing and go back and take english 101 so someone could understand what the hell your asking.

Pimp Gimp

Rep Points

Mechanically, a longer set of arms will have to produce more power to bench the same weight as a shorter set of arms.

Power = Work / Time

Work, in this case is a longer ROM, and hence the power would have to increase. This is not taking into account different grips. I'm just using a base to answer your question.
    yay.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Fever
    Mechanically, a longer set of arms will have to produce more power to bench the same weight as a shorter set of arms.

Power = Work / Time

Work, in this case is a longer ROM, and hence the power would have to increase. This is not taking into account different grips. I'm just using a base to answer your question.
    Are shorter arms then more advantageous for other excercises like BB curls? Or for that matter, does being taller/bigger give someone an advantage/disadvantage lifting?

A friend of mine told me a while ago that having longer arms/longer muscles gives an advantage because of more leverage. I don't know about that but a 150lb 5'9'' aquaintance of mine can bench 300lbs 10x, as he claims he has some sort of pectoral anomaly where the muscle is attached farther away than it normally is for a guy his size.

Pimp Gimp

Rep Points

A lift like BB Curls is really more about the length of the biceps rather than the length of the arm. There are advantages and disadvantages to being tall and being short.
    yay.

NGA/IFPA Pro Bodybuilder
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DOS Forever
    Are shorter arms then more advantageous for other excercises like BB curls? Or for that matter, does being taller/bigger give someone an advantage/disadvantage lifting?

A friend of mine told me a while ago that having longer arms/longer muscles gives an advantage because of more leverage. I don't know about that but a 150lb 5'9'' aquaintance of mine can bench 300lbs 10x, as he claims he has some sort of pectoral anomaly where the muscle is attached farther away than it normally is for a guy his size.
    Oh I certainly believe that a shorter arm is advantageous in curling motions. With a longer arm, the weight would be further away from the body at the most difficult point of the lift, and the further from the body it is, the less leverage you will have. In addition, the arc of the curl would be much longer with longer arms. Combined, this makes it harder to curl with longer limbs.

*NATURAL PRO BODYBUILDER
    *MONTHLY COLUMNIST FOR PLANET MUSCLE, NATURAL MUSCLE AND IRONMAN MAGAZINES
    *CEO OF BROSERBUILT.COM
    *PIONEER OF POWER/REP RANGE/SHOCK AND FIBER DAMAGE/FIBER SATURATION TRAINING PROTOCOLS

Cutting sucks.

Rep Points

its all about torque. muscles produce torque, which is length * force. the farther the length, the greater torque needed by the muscle.
    cutting sucks.

NGA/IFPA Pro Bodybuilder
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DimebagDarrell
    its all about torque. muscles produce torque, which is length * force. the farther the length, the greater torque needed by the muscle.
    I have one thing to say to that.....

******NICE AVATAR******

*NATURAL PRO BODYBUILDER
    *CEO OF BROSERBUILT.COM
    *PIONEER OF POWER/REP RANGE/SHOCK AND FIBER DAMAGE/FIBER SATURATION TRAINING PROTOCOLS

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Part of maxing out your bench press is shortening the stroke, in fact there is an article on it. The shorter distance moved, the less work is done.

http://www.houseofpainironwear.com/a...eaponeight.htm

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Fever
    Power = Work / Time
    I'm glad somebody "got high school"

Pimp Gimp

Rep Points

I never took any quality science in high school. I was too busy screwing around and believing I was the next big thing in Olympic Volleyball.

It was until college that I realized I was too short and just an average player at that level. That's when I became a science nerd.
    yay.

Rep Points

Shorter arms are definitely an advantage to someone who's much taller & has longer arms as they have more distance to bring the weight down Vs. a shorter person who has less range of motion to bring the weight down.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Shorter arms are definitely advantageous in many movements. However, there are also drawbacks.

For example, I believe (Please correct me if I am wrong) shorter arms are a disadvantage in deadlifting because you have to increase your ROM to compensate. The same is true for long legs when it comes to deadlifting.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

ats that one

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tough Old Man
    1st are you still in school or have you graduated. 2nd I would forget the bench pressing and go back and take english 101 so someone could understand what the hell your asking.
    1st yes im still in high school2nd im asking is it the same as someone with short arms benching 225 as someone with long arm

Rep Points

I should've known all that, being an engineering student, but I have no knowledge of human anatomy, really.

Work = Force x Distance

Since both a longer and shorter limbed person are acting upon the same force, the Earth's and the BB/DD/whatever's mutual attraction (F=G(m1m2/r^2)), the longer limbed person would be doing more work lifting the BB/DD/whatever farther.

NGA/IFPA Pro Bodybuilder
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp
    Shorter arms are definitely advantageous in many movements. However, there are also drawbacks.

For example, I believe (Please correct me if I am wrong) shorter arms are a disadvantage in deadlifting because you have to increase your ROM to compensate. The same is true for long legs when it comes to deadlifting.
    If you are tall you have longer arms...deadlifting advantage
    If you are tall you have longer legs...deadlifting disadvantage

If you are short you have shorter arms...deadlifting disadvantage
    If you are short you have shorter legs...deadlifting advantage

They seem to cancel each other out in this equation

*NATURAL PRO BODYBUILDER
    *CEO OF BROSERBUILT.COM