IronMagLabs Osta Rx

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Study: Weightlifters Don't Lift Enough

Rep Points

Post Study: Weightlifters Don't Lift Enough

Many weightlifters don't pump enough iron to make their muscles bulge, according to a new study. Research indicates that bodybuilders must heft at least 60 percent of the maximum weight they can lift in order to boost muscle mass. But in a study conducted by exercise physiology professor Stephen Glass, none of the novice weightlifters started their routines at the magic 60 percent mark. The upshot? Weightlifters who skimp on poundage will forever remain girlie-men. "When it comes to strength training, people need to know what is heavy and what's not," Glass said.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Living/ap20040914_1290.html
    http://www.wired.com/news/furthermore

Rep Points

I saw this on another board. I think they are mostly talking about the average person.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Rep Points

Yeah, I didn't think it was referring to Mudge

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

yup...less than 60% of your 1RM and you can forget about causing mircotrauma, so there will be no adaptation...when people ask me about using active recovery I always tell them that sets less than 60% or less of your 1RM is what they should be using...
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

2 Samuel 24:24
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I wonder if i lift that much....?