Help with pizza dough

..is bulking up!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Help with pizza dough

I have tried various ways and suggestions, but my pizza always comes out 'chewy'. I would appreciate any suggestions in getting it 'bread-like'.

I have tried 1cup flour + 1tsp yeast(dissolved in warm water for 10 mins) + 1/2 tsp salt +1tbsp olive oil

Also 1cup flour + 1/2 tsp yeast(dissolved in warm water for 10 mins) + 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt +1tbsp olive oil

more yeast only makes it taste very 'yeasty'.

I put the flour in a food processor. turn it on and dribble the yeast in water into the flour. Then i transfer the dough to a dish and cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise (have also tried to cover with a cloth). after 45 min or so. i remove and roll it out. Place on preheated pizza stone in oven. Put sauce, cheese and toppings and bake for 15-20 mins.

But the pizza is always thick and chewy.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Best idea.....move to NYC and eat from any of the wonderful pizza places on every corner.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

..is bulking up!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk
    Best idea.....move to NYC and eat from any of the wonderful pizza places on every corner.
    ... temptation .. temptation...

Rep Points

Bulk I just saw your qustion. I don't use the bread machine ( maybe something goes wrong there?) but this recipe below always turns out very nice.

2 most important things for a good pizza dough:

First is that you knead it longer, and keep "poking" the dough while kneading, i.e. you punch the dough with your fingers.. this gets the air in and helps the dough rise better, which in return results in a fluffier pizza when baked.

The second thing is, you can never get that thin crispy dough at home, unless you use the sand stone for baking which absorbs the extra moisture from the sauce and the dough. You can't get this with a tray at home.

BASIC PIZZA DOUGH

1 teaspoon active dry yeast
    2/3 cup warm water (105° to 115° F)
    2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour ( healthier version, 1 C WW, 1 C white flour)
    1 teaspoon salt
    olive oil for the bowl
    Makes dough for one 12-inch pizza or two 9-inch pizzas.

Sprinkle the yeast over the water. Let stand 1 minute, or until the yeast is creamy. Stir until the yeast dissolves.
    In a large bowl, combine the 2 cups flour and the salt. Add the yeast mixture and stir until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead, adding more flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
    Lightly coat a large bowl with oil. Place the dough in the bowl, turning it to oil the top. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm, draft-free place and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
    Flatten the dough with your fist. Cut the dough into 2 pieces and shape the pieces into balls. Flatten the dough slightly. Dust the tops with flour. Place the balls of dough on a floured surface and cover each with plastic wrap, allowing room for the dough to expand. Let rise 60 minutes, or until doubled.

..is bulking up!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Thanks dalila. I shall try it this weekend

Rep Points

I have never had any luck making pizza dough from scratch......I gave up and just use store bought frozen raw bread dough.......works well for pizza and stromboli