Divine Nutrition

what's wrong with being overweight (obese)?

Rep Points

what's wrong with being overweight (obese)?

I always thought the danger of being overweight was putting too much strain on the heart. i.e. a person who is 175 cms tall has a heart which is 'designed' to run a body 175 cms tall weighing 80 kg.

If I am correct then people with low bf/ % but with as lot of muscle might be at risk as well as people who are obese due to excessive b/f.

Obviously there are a lot of sportsmen who would disagree with me, anyway I would like to get some feedback, so I look forward to reading your opinions .Thank you.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by gareth
    If I am correct then people with low bf/ % but with as lot of muscle might be at risk as well as people who are obese due to excessive b/f.
    Carrying excess fat has more risks than just the added strain on the heart. Excess fat contributes to hormonal and metabolic issues that can be detrimental (diabetes is just one off the top of my head).

But I think that the supermassive, even though muscular and low fat %, bodybuilders are at risk for health problems. I don't think the human body was designed to carry so much excess weight, be it muscle or fat. Both excesses cause problems, imo.