• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Two women found with HIV-immune mutant gene

tomas101

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-10/01/content_379267.htm

Two women found with HIV-immune mutant gene
Wang Zhuoqiong
2004-10-01 05:17

SHENZHEN: Two women have been identified as carrying a mutant gene that is immune to HIV/AIDS, the first such cases uncovered in China, a researcher said.

The finding is the joint effort of a research programme, "Association of Human Genetic Polymorphisms with HIV Affections," jointly conducted by the University of Washington in the US State of Washington and local Infectious Disease Hospitals and medical institutions in Guangdong Province.

Tuofu Zhu, associate professor of University of Washington and associate director of the Clinical Core at the Centre for AIDS Research (CFAR), introduced the programme to China a year ago as a part of his global research in nations in Europe, the Americas, Africa and Asia.

"Before, such mutant genes were only found in Caucasians. The finding has encouraged us to do further research in China, with the aim of developing medicines to prevent and cure HIV/AIDS for different races,"said Zhu.

China is now at a key moment in adopting effective measures to control and prevent HIV/AIDS as the disease moves from high risk populations to the general population, in most cases though sexual transmission, Zhu pointed out.

Zhu said that setting up a research centre in Guangdong Province is appropriate as its population has made it the best platform for collecting diversified samples.

"With the largest mobile population in China, we can get samples from migrants who are from other parts of the country," said Zhu.

Since a greater number of patients infected with sexual transmitted disease in particular are reported in Guangdong Province, sample collections are more efficient than other regions in China, Zhu added.

So far, according to Zhu, his programme in Shenzhen has identified 11 Exposed Seronegatives (ES) since January.

Zhu explained that the immune systems of some individuals may be capable of resisting HIV infection. These individuals who do not appear to be infected with HIV despite multiple sexual encounters with HIV infected partners are referred to as exposed seronegatives (ES).

To be specific, any one who has conducted sexual activities at least twice weekly in four consecutive months with an HIV-infected partner might be identified as ES.

Of 11 ES cases, two cases have later been identified as carrying the mutant genes.

In Zhu's opinion, if medicine functioning similarly with the genes was put in the vagina and rectum, the HIV virus couldn't find its carrier to enter the human body and thus would be expelled.

In Shenzhen, both confirmed samples are women who have been exposed to HIV for many years but remained uninfected.

One of them, in her 40s, has kept a regular sexual life with her husband without any protection measures for nine years. Her husband, who was infected with the deadly virus by blood transfusion in 1994, was hospitalized in Shenzhen's Donghu Hospital in July last year.

However, due to the limited qualified samples, Zhu said it is still too early to draw any conclusion from the programme, adding "we definitely need more support from the local hospital, medical institutions and government to collect more data from ES people."

Interesting. I don't think they will find a cure though, maybe a vaccination?

PreMier said:
Interesting. I don't think they will find a cure though, maybe a vaccination?
Lol, Id love to see that conversation.
"Alright Eddy, Heres what we're going to do. We've given weakened HIV cells to other people, and they didnt get infected.. but they also didnt develop an immunity.. So, we're going to give you less weakened HIV and see what happens.. ready?"

"Almost forgot, Heres your sign."

Chain Link said:
"Almost forgot, Heres your sign."

What does this mean?

PreMier said:
What does this mean?
Well, I guess the best definition would be that it means,"You're stupid."

Its one of Bill Engvall's joke series. He says things like instead of putting warnings on products ect, we should just have the stupid people wear signs, and we just wouldnt sell them the product.

Stupid people should have to wear signs that just say, "I'm Stupid". That
way you wouldn't rely on them, would you? You wouldn't ask them
anything. It would be like, "Excuse me...oops, never mind. I didn't see
your sign."

A couple of months ago I went fishing with a buddy of mine, we pulled his
boat into the dock, I lifted up this big 'ol stringer of bass and this
idiot on the dock goes, "Hey, y'all catch all them fish?" "Nope. Talked
'em into giving up. Here's your sign."

I was watching one of those animal shows on the Discovery Channel. There
was a guy inventing a shark bite suit. And there's only one way to test
it. "Alright Jimmy, you got that shark suit on, it looks good... They want
you to jump into this pool of sharks, and you tell us if it hurts when they
bite you." "Well, all right, but hold my sign. I don't wanna lose it"

So I was saying whoever voulenteered to test out the vaccine would be pretty stupid. Of course we dont really test vaccines that way.. but theres always got to be a first person..

Ok, thanks :lol:

Vieope said:
I don´t see that happening any time soon, the virus acts the same way of the flu virus.

I dunno how things are in brazil, but we have a flu vaccine in the US :grin:

Gene therapy :shrug:

IML Gear Cream!
Chain Link said:
I dunno how things are in brazil, but we have a flu vaccine in the US :grin:
We have that too but it is not 100% efficient. The virus changes a lot.

Luke9583 said:
Gene therapy :shrug:

This is what I was wondering also.. could stem cell research cure AIDS?

PreMier said:
No, stem cell will be used to generate new cells. Since the infected cells of AIDS is in the whole body it can´t be done. Damn, I am such a geek. :bawling:

Couldnt anti viral cells(like found in the above mentioned people) be created? I mean it might be limited to blood/ethnicity, but could it work?

Learn me G33K :bow:

I don´t think so. I guess rejection of the anti-viral cells would happen.

PreMier said:
Not in the united states :thumb: :(

actually this will never happen b/c then the pharmacutical companies will lose waaaaay too much money...they already have pills that help decrease the hiv virus but dont want to distribute them b/c once people start getting healthy, there will be no need for them

If they cured AIDS.....would that cause my syphilis to burn less fiercely?

perfectbody said:
Imagaine a world where there is no STD. :hot:
Or pregnancy. :rocker:

or their spending habits... :D

:rofl:

An aids cure is not something that would be an American only kind of project. There are countries where aids is very high per capita. If a drug could be found to stop the virus it will be found. And the drugs to control aids are being prescribed full on all over the country. People live a much longer life while HIV+ and have a huge amount of treatments for the various problems aids causes.

BoneCrusher said:
An aids cure is not something that would be an American only kind of project. There are countries where aids is very high per capita. If a drug could be found to stop the virus it will be found. And the drugs to control aids are being prescribed full on all over the country. People live a much longer life while HIV+ and have a huge amount of treatments for the various problems aids causes.
Brazil broke every patent law of HIV medicines to give it for free for poor people. :bounce2:

Abstinence, masturbation and monogamy are the best HIV/AIDS vaccination

Back