• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Strength vs Size

sweatshopchamp

J-Freak
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Im 17 and want to get HUGE and have supperior strength. My diet is decent and my size gains are getting up there but my strength has plateaued! Please, any tips or advice would be so appreciated. Im talking mostly about the bench press. thanks guys.:stuck: <---thats me, stuck in a rut

Well.. you didnt really give a lot to work with. Post your routine, reps , diet, etc and we can work.

Try bumping calories by about 500 a day for a week and decrease your volume (and increase intensity).

I heard the Bulgarians and Russians use to do lots of volume when they hit sticking points. They would do 10 sets of 10 for a while to work thru the sticking spots, then go back to heavy sets.

The Bulgarians were also on an assortment of steroids :)

Lower the volume and raise the intensity.

sweatshopchamp said:
Im 17 and want to get HUGE and have supperior strength. My diet is decent and my size gains are getting up there but my strength has plateaued! Please, any tips or advice would be so appreciated. Im talking mostly about the bench press. thanks guys.:stuck: <---thats me, stuck in a rut

If youre stuck in a rut, just change your routine around. Its basically what everyone else is saying, but Ive made it more clear - Change. Your body adapts to workloads, so if you give it the same thing everytime, youre not gonnna go anywhere with it. Adapt, change.

IE: If youre doing high volume now, change to low volume. And vice versa. Try different exercises for the same bodyparts. You get the idea.

Intensity can be high even with light weights towards the later reps.

If you want power train for it, you would probably be looking at a generic 4-8 reps for most of your training unless you are looking for true powerlifting which can drop reps below that.

Im lifting three days a week.
Monday is chest and back with lot of supersets. I try to rest only 30-60secs between sets
Bench 10,8,6,4,2,1 starting at 65%of max and adding 5-10% each set
seated row 3x8-10
pullups 4x8
DB incline bench 3x6
Lat pulldowns 3x8-12
pec deck 3x10
DB rows 3x8
I am fairly strong for my age when dealing with more reps but when i try to go heavy i get about halfway up and stick. I hope this is more helpfll. Thanks

There are a lot of things you could try:

If you haven't taken any time off lifting, then you might want to consider resting for a week. It will give your body time to heal from small overuse injuries, tendons and ligaments can heal, and the central nervous system can be given extra recouperation time.

Switch your routine. Don't do any of the same exercises. The same routine can lead to stagnating results.

That weight acclimation scheme you use for the bench press is worthless. All you're doing is fatiguing your muscles and body with lower repititons before you reach your max bench press. Just do a warmup consisting of multiple sets and make your first working set the 1RM.

Look into a powerlifting routine. I'm about to try Westside. I have heard a lot of positive things about it, and it looks good from a scientific standpoint.

Make sure your bench press form is correct. I'm assuming the bench press is where you're stagnating because you listed your chest routine. Look in Mudge's signature.

Thanks for the info. I know my form wasnt right. But now its getting there. Im putting up about 10 more pounds on form alone. Thanks.

IML Gear Cream!
I still practice form, and I believe Dave Tate said after 20 years, he is likewise still working on it ;)

For the most part I dont believe mine will change, but I make sure to get "into the groove" during my warmups, and my first rep on the heavy sets will be slow to ensure no injury and of course perfect positioning to actually make the lift.

Back