• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

How much could you lift when you started?

Weakling

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey guys I am 20 Years old, I just began traiining, I eat well and always have, I have always had a good balance of protein, carbs, and fats in my diet.

Anyways Im 5' 10" and about 175 pounds. I just started training and my upper body is extremely week. When I bench press free weights with 2 barbells, I dont know if there is a proper name for this, 20 pounds in each hand will give me a challenge for about 10-12 reps, I could do more but that is lots of work, and for curls 20 pounds in each hand is enough to kill me doing 12 8 and 8 reps. This is very small amount is it not? Oh well maybe it will be easier for me to grow? I know exercises are harder when using 2 barbells but still?

What could you guys lift when you started? I am in decent shap as far as cardio goes, I can run at 6 miles for 45 minutes no problem my joints get sore before i get tired

anyways what could you lift? is that a real small amount?

I dotn even lift weights at the gym I joined I just do cardio there cause im embarresed I just lift weights at home. I only have a couple barbells and a small amount of weight but it challenges me.

Last edited:
hey bro,how are you? i'm going to give you a tip that i wish was given to me when i first started. 20 is kind of light, really it is too light. do this, first find out what you can press for 1 time, then get the weight that is right below that. start heaviest on your first set, then work untill th lightest. YOU HAVE TO STRAIN HARD IN ORDER TO GAIN STRENGTH AND SIZE! do every set( 4 sets) 6-8 reps. GO HEAVY, DONT BACK DOWN FROM HARD TO LIFT WEIGHT, TRUST ME, YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THIS IN THE FUTURE!
good luck and welcome to the bodybuilding world!

ok... thanks for tha advice....

I dont knwo if I made it clear but its 20 in each hand which makes 40 and I think its more difficut cause its two barbells....

But when I was at the gym and on the machine not free weight I put one plate on each side and after 10 reps I felt challenged

Weakling said:

Hey guys I am 20 Years old, I just began traiining

You started young, that's great. Everyone is going to start somewhere different than the next guy. We were all raised differently. If you grew up on the farm you usually could kick most city boys butts when it came to strength. But don't worry about where you are starting....look at where you're headed. You'll get past this point soon enough. Get a good routine.....eat well.....get good recovery time and in no time you'll look back on the beginning and laugh about it.

As Ironman57 said, Use enough weight so that you're finishing in the 6-8 rep area for 3 to 4 sets in each exercise. Lots of good people here that will help you in this area if you desire it.

Welcome to the board. I look forward to seeing you overcome your "malu"ness. :)

Thanks for all the poitive advice you guys it is really appreciated I am speaking of barbells them then :)

oh im sorry, i didnt read it good the first time, you meant curls, i was thinking presses, ok that is decent weight, keep up the good work!

I am sorry I was rushing when I typed that here is what I was trying to say:

I Bench Press with 2 Barbells which weigh 20 pounds each (I have one in each hand and lift them simutaniously).

I also Curl with the same Brabells which weigh 20 pounds each.

Also when I bench on the Machine with 1 Plate per side I can feel the workout. That is on the machine not with free weights.

Sorry for the confusion it is clearly my fault.

Yes the second on is the one I do with 20 pound dumbells

so what kind of wait did you guys start with anyways?

Thanks for your help

i dont remember exactly but now i train with 110lb dumbells, not bragging but for my size i have always been pretty strong. i think i started with 40 or 45 back in high school

Well, first of all welcome to the board! :)

Glad you started working out. I honestly have no idea how much weight I lifted when I first stared because it was over 16 years ago.

But, everyone has to start some where, and you will only get stronger!

your first couple of months will be hard but are possibly the best because if you eat, rest and train properly you will make gains rather quickly. trust me it feels great. when you look in the mirror after putting on your first 10lbs of muscle you will feel like a new person.

hey guys i am new to weight lifting too. i am 17 6'2 180lbs. when i started lifting 6 months ago i could bench max 140 now i can do 210 twice i started curling 20 each hand now i am up to 50 is that good?
sorry for useig your post to ask this question dude, i am just too lazy to begin a new one.

Originally posted by KANE_VICIOUS
hey guys i am new to weight lifting too. i am 17 6'2 180lbs. when i started lifting 6 months ago i could bench max 140 now i can do 210 twice i started curling 20 each hand now i am up to 50 is that good?

You're making progress in your strength, so yes that is good!

Have you gained size/weight too?

i have gained size yes but i am not weight

Man oh man was I weak when I started out. First of all I was 125 lbs. at a height of 5' 11" and a strong wind could knock me over! I think I was able to bench press about 60 lbs that first day...scary!

IML Gear Cream!
I'M SO OLD I DONT REMEBER, but i do know that i didnt have alot of guidence,which really is impotant.

Welcome aboard, Weakling!! :thumb:

I started training six years ago. I remember doing flat dumbell presses for the first time. I could barely do six reps with 40 lb dumbells. Now I can do 10 reps with 80 pounders. I also remember doing Hammer Strength pulldowns for my back, and starting at 50 pounds (and feeling sore the next day). Now I use 200 pounds for my work sets. Feels good to have come that far.

4 1/2 years ago when i first started i couldnt even bench press the bar. :( I only weighed 120 or so at 6'. After that first year is when i noticed the big difference. I dont know maybe your ligaments and tendens need to get used to the work outs or something. BUt the best thing is to stick with it and never quit.

Remember to take it slow. Dont over do it. Your just starting out so your beginning to build a base for you to work on. I personally would suggest you stick within the 8-12 rep range until you have built yrself a decent base and strengthened your connective tissue in the process. You also, im guessing, have alot of work to do with regard to learning proper form and technique. Throwing around your maximum weight for 4-6 reps isnt going to do much other than hurt your back and introduce you to some joint pain right now. So.. take it easy, learn proper form, stick to 8-12 reps, warmup properly and if you feel any pain other than muscle soreness than reevaluate your routine and methods because your likely overdoing it.

I started weight training at the age of 24.
I was 175 lbs at 6 ft tall.
My first workout I could barely bench press (barbell) 70 lbs for 10 reps.

When I started working out I was a weak mofo! Damn I could probably bench around 135. Something like that. There are a lot of things that I was VERY weak on. Now I am moderately strong. I mean I can handle the 100-110 lbs. dbs on flat db presses. Deadlift around 350-365 lbs. and barbell row 200-215 lbs.

:cool::cool:

bought a pair of 8 lb dbs and 15 lb dbs and moved them everyway I could think of ....then a month later when it got easy I added 20s .....next step was an ez bar with 4 - 10s and 2-5s over the next few weeks added a couple pairs of plates ....after about 2 months I bought a bench and a standard bar.....just get started and keep pushing and you will progress

good luck

Back