• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

squats with smith machine

if your just starting out[a rookie] i would say to still train with a smith machine.it has a lot of great use's.my guess is that they are thinking in the real HEAVY use's like powerlifting.when your're powerlifting,1st some smith machines CANT handle over 500lbs safely.2nd powerlifters need to what they call the GROOVE,its a all out mental foucus on getting set and feeling your way down to the bottom.the smith machine has a lot of great uses 1st of one would be SAFETYthen form.*if youre gonna use it to squat,make sure your hips and the bar stay lined up!*i should also say,some smith machines can handle 500lbs in a safe manner,the one i train with,cant:D

Last edited:
i don't think i plan to use 500lbs weights any time soon hehe.. i thought it just might be considered bad for the back or something... right now i am up to only 270 and don't plan on going any higher unless i can do 20 reps on it easily

I've been using the Smith machine for squats for the last month because I am nursing a sore hip. The Smith machine allows me to keep my feet closer together, which is easier on my hip. But next Saturday, it's back to the squat rack. I definately get a better workout doing traditional squats.

There is nothing wrong with smith squats at all. Some people get more out of them than free bar squats. The best way to do them for pure quad development is with the feet foward and back straight. This eliminates much of the glutes and hams and forces more work by your quads. By all means include them in your routine from time to time.

Back