• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Diamondbacks bite

jack52

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
What's the deal with Arizona canning Wally Backman after 4 days? They don't run a background check on him and when he talks about his past troubles all of a sudden they decide he's not moral enough to manage their innocent ballplayers. This is the weakest thing I've seen in Baseball since Pete was kept out of Cooperstown. There's guys shooting roids as we speak and a guy who has given so much to the game is canned because he went bankrupt and roughed up his old lady. He's the first guy that ever did that, right?:yell:

I don't blame the snakes on bit for passing on Backman. What is embarrassing is that 1) they did not do a background check and 2) didn't fire him right away when then found out. They had to be shamed into it by local outrage.

These charges are not like in the 80's. This is recent stuff.

Any employer has the right to employ whoever they want(and I'm sure they were waiting for my permission on that). But I agree with you about the lack of a background check. Landscapers are more thorough than they were on pre employment checks.

If Backman were now still a .320-hitting infielder on a championship baseball team, none of this would cost him a job. Many athletes have faced domestic abuse investigations, including Darryl Strawberry, Warren Moon, Barry Bonds, John Daly, Albert Belle and, yes, that master of vices, Mike Tyson. They've played on. Around here, we've seen Kidd rebound from his own domestic dispute, with the help of Joumana's patience and forgiveness.

It's rarer for managers and coaches to survive such incidents with their jobs and reputations intact. There are exceptions. Back in 1995, Bobby Cox of the Braves was charged with domestic violence. He is still viewed, somehow, as an exemplary manager. Iowa State found a way to keep its football coach, Dan McCarney, after he admitted to domestic abuse.

Most often, though, managers are supposed to be models of comportment, moral beacons. They are supposed to be Joe Torre- not Tyson, not a wife-beater.

Backman is no longer a star, and the Diamondbacks were certainly not going to begin a new adventure with a tainted dugout leader. He isn't Amazin' anymore, and Backman hadn't signed the contract before word got out.

Back