• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

milk and dairy

ReelBigFish

Turtle Power!
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I was wondering why everyone says to cut out or cut back on dairy when cutting, but every time I turn around you hear something about milk or yogurt and stuff like that, playing a big role in fat loss. I know its probably more an individual thing as all aspects of diet are, but I was just wondering what eveyone else thought.

Depends on your goals. If I'm just trying to lose a few pounds then no, I don't worry about losing the dairy. Now If I'm trying to lose some serious pounds then yeah, I cut out the dairy. The lactose is not needed while cutting. Hell, any form of sugar is not needed while cutting.

Yeah that's my thinking, but why do all these experts say that dairy increases fat loss? It seems bass ackwards to me.

Calcium increases fat loss, not dairy.

no problem

Good luck

Well, there are other things in dairy that contribute to fat-loss, not just the calcium:

Calcium and Dairy Acceleration of Weight and Fat Loss during Energy Restriction in Obese Adults

Mechanisms of Dairy Modulation of Adiposity

Role of calcium and dairy products in energy partitioning and weight management

Role of dietary calcium and dairy products in modulating adiposity.

At the end of the day it is all a matter of your individual preference for dairy, your bodies ability to cope with the lactose and your over-all calorie deficiency...

But, as jodi says, in a normal weight loss diet or if you are just trying to drop a little fat then dairy is fine. But if you are in the last few weeks of a comp. cut you might want to consider taking it out as it can cause you to hold a little water and appear 'puffy'.

3rd link isn't working because it requires a sign in. Other than that, those are great. :thumbs:

Thanks for the links Emma.

Jodi said:
3rd link isn't working because it requires a sign in.
Grrrr.. Damn information secrecy!! All information should be free - the world would be a much more intelligent place if it were!

:hmmm: Third link you say... Here is the abstract:
Dietary calcium plays a pivotal role in the regulation of energy metabolism because high-calcium diets attenuate adipocyte lipid accretion and weight gain during the overconsumption of an energy-dense diet and increase lipolysis and preserve thermogenesis during caloric restriction, which thereby markedly accelerates weight loss. Intracellular Ca2+ plays a key regulatory role in adipocyte lipid metabolism and triacylglycerol storage; increased intracellular Ca2+ results in the stimulation of lipogenic gene expression and lipogenesis and the suppression of lipolysis, which results in increased lipid filling and increased adiposity. Moreover, the increased calcitriol produced in response to low-calcium diets stimulates adipocyte Ca2+ influx and, consequently, promotes adiposity, whereas higher-calcium diets inhibit lipogenesis, inhibit diet-induced obesity in mice, and promote lipolysis, lipid oxidation, and thermogenesis. Notably, dairy sources of calcium markedly attenuate weight and fat gain and accelerate fat loss to a greater degree than do supplemental sources of calcium. This augmented effect of dairy products relative to supplemental calcium is likely due to additional bioactive compounds, including the angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and the rich concentration of branched-chain amino acids in whey, which act synergistically with calcium to attenuate adiposity. These concepts are confirmed by epidemiologic data and recent clinical trials, which indicate that diets that include 3 daily servings of dairy products result in significant reductions in adipose tissue mass in obese humans in the absence of caloric restriction and markedly accelerate weight and body fat loss secondary to caloric restriction compared with diets low in dairy products. These data indicate an important role for dairy products in both the prevention and treatment of obesity.

Thanks for the links Emma.
Welcome! :)

Here are some other really good reads:

Dietary Proteins in the Regulation of Food Intake and Body Weight in Humans

Manufacture and Use of Dairy Protein Fractions

IML Gear Cream!
damn, you guys are awesome. I lot this site, you come here and you have people that can answer a question in no time. I've been serious into lifting for bout 2 or 3 months. I'm trying to bulk up and I've read a lot of stuff but i still have the occasional ?. Thanks again for all the help.

ReelBigFish said:
damn, you guys are awesome. I lot this site, you come here and you have people that can answer a question in no time. I've been serious into lifting for bout 2 or 3 months. I'm trying to bulk up and I've read a lot of stuff but i still have the occasional ?. Thanks again for all the help.
I know, I am great. I´m glad I could help with everything. Those people that don´t help make me sick.

Are there things like good and bad sources of dietary dairy? I assume natural yogurt (label reads as pretty much pure milk bacterial culture, and nothing else) and cottage cheese are both good. 1% milk.

SugarDaddy said:
Are there things like good and bad sources of dietary dairy? I assume natural yogurt (label reads as pretty much pure milk bacterial culture, and nothing else) and cottage cheese are both good. 1% milk.

Yup - Fat-free/sugar-free natural yoghurt is good, as are cottage cheese and Fat-free/Skim milk.

I also do not think that the fat-free/sugar free flavoured yoghurts (or 'diet' yoghurts as they are called over here in Australia) are all that bad, nor are some of the low-fat hard cheese you can get (not sure what is available over there, but here in Australia there is a cheese that has 200 casl, 34.5g protein and 6.5g fat per 100g. No carbs either..).

I think all the low-fat/fat free yoghurts I have seen over here are loaded with sugar to up the taste. Have to go to organic 1% yogurt with nothing added to get anything with no sugar. In north america it seems that almost everything out there has sugar in it...ESPECIALLY the lower fat stuff. (yes, I realize they add the sugar to offset the loss in taste, therefore it is better just to eat the full fat stuff in small portions than the low fat stuff...heck I could go on about these low fat things.)

Back