Use Coupon Code SPOOK25 for 25% Discount!

Help with catabolic state

Rep Points

mmafiter-if I followed your training regimen, I would have the physique of an Ethyopian refugee.Haven't you ever heard of a rest day?If you are trying to prevent muscle loss due to a strenuous training regimen, I would advise you to eat atleast 6 times a day and to include a healthy serving of protein at every meal and eat alot of calorie-dense food.With your type of routine I don't think you have to worry about getting fat.Look into a glutamine and creatine supplement.As far as your physical training, does it have to be at such a high volume?If it doesn't, I would say to cut the volume back a bit.Of course, it also depends on your recovery ability but the more energy you burn up, the more calories you will have to eat to compensate for it.In regards to the weights, I wouldn't advise you to use a split routine.I would do an abbreviated whole-body workout once or twice a week at the most.Include compound exercises that will give you the most bang for your buck.Don't waste valuable time and energy on useless exercises.Also, for grappling I would emphasize pulling exercises.A sample session would look like this:
    DAY 1-
    Chin-ups 3x5
    Deadlifts 3x5
    Bench Presses 3x5
    Russian Twists 3x8

DAY 2-
    Power Clean&Press 3x5
    Back Squats 3x5
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts or Good Mornings 3x8
    Hanging Leg Raises 3x12

Try to split up your physical training by doing half in the morning and half in the evening.I had good success with two-a-days routines not only for strength training, but when I was training for boxing as well.We did all our skills work(bags,focus mitts,timing drills)in the morning and did our sparring and conditioning in the evening.The bad thing about two-a-days is that you can't do them for long or you will burn out, unless you are on some type of gear.I hope I have given you a few useful ideas.Good luck in your training.

------------------
    "I'm just here to kick a$$, sleep till noon"

<FONT COLOR="#000002" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[Edited 1 time by ballast on 07-01-2001 at 09:08 PM]</font>

Rep Points

mma, even though I am only 15, you are overworking your muscles, that is why you are gaining no mass. You need to work out at the most 3-4 days a week. Unless you work different muscle groups each day. While you work out the same muscles, this gives them no time for the fibers to rebuild and this is why you are having your problem. Just think of it like this, every time you do something, or lift something, it is "killing" the muscle fiber in that spot, if you keep killing it (no rest days) you will lose muscle mass, but if you give it time, it builds back, bigger, and stronger. I would suggest working out 3 days a week, 1 day do upper body, another day to lower body, another day just concentrate on something else. Make sure you get rest and make sure you eat right. That is my opinion, but I could be wrong.

Rep Points

Post Help with catabolic state

I'm hoping someone can give me some suggestions to help me overcome some difficulties I'm having with my training.

Basically my problem is this; I train too much to gain muscle mass.
    I know you're thinking "yeah right" but I'll write down a typical week for me and I think you'll see what I mean.

Mon - 45 Minutes jump rope, 1.5 hours Karate, 1.5 hours grappling, 1/2 hour heavy bag/focus pad work

Tues - 2 hours grappling, 1 hour strength training/weights, 40 minutes wind sprints

Wed - 1 hour heavy bag, maybe 2 hours grappling (depends)

Thurs - 1.5 hours grappling, 1.5 hours karate, 1/2 hour focus pad work

Fri - 45 minutes jump rope, 1 hour stength training

Sat - 1.5 hours karate, 1.5 hours grappling, 40 minutes wind sprints

Sun - 1 hour strength training/weights, 2 hours grappling

All of this is at an extremely high intensity, but some weeks may have more, some less this is just a general idea.

My question is this; I've basically given up trying to get HUGE until I stop MMA fighting because all of this activity is counter to building muscle mass, but do you have any ideas how I can stop the catastrophic muscle loss that happens unless I consume tons of food? Quite frankly I can't afford to feed myself if I keep training this way!

Also what should my split look like, grappling is very anaerobic (sp), should I wait a while between exercises? ie 1 hour heavy bag work, then wait a while until strenght training?

Thanks for your help

Rep Points

Ha HA Ballast, in fact I DO have the physique of an egyptian refugee.

It looks like I'm going to have to break down and not train so much, it's gonna kill me though.

Rep Points

mmafiter-I admire your vigor ,but too much volume will have negative results.Just allow yourself sufficient recovery time and you will do fine.You should look into periodization, especially if you are preparing to compete soon.With periodization, you vary the volume and intensity of training and this helps you to peak right before your competition.Good luck to you.

------------------
    "I'm just here to kick a$$, sleep till noon"