NapsGear.net

Tendons and Ligaments

My Little Man

Rep Points

Tendons and Ligaments

Are tendons and ligaments strengthed the same way as mucle?

i.e. By the tearing and subsequent rebuilding of fibers (as I understand it in very basic terms)
    What this means is that when we drop a ball and it falls to the ground, it wasn't the ball that moved (down to the ground), but the ground that moved (up to the ball)

My Little Man

Rep Points

Found this:

How can you strengthen tendons and ligaments? Unfortunately these tissues are not muscle, so they do not respond to exercise as muscles do. Exercise cannot build or strengthen ligaments or tendons
    So how do the T & L's adapt to training? or don't they?
    What this means is that when we drop a ball and it falls to the ground, it wasn't the ball that moved (down to the ground), but the ground that moved (up to the ball)

My Little Man

Rep Points

No offence meant to anyone, but what a shame the serious questions get few replies, yet the "Which Db curls are best for biceps" type questions get > 200.

Oh well

///M Rider

Rep Points

Consider this Karl...an injured athlete goes through rehab to "strengthen" a torn knee ligament, for example. In physical therapy or rehab, typically one uses resistance type exercises by use of bands, etc. Light weight training later on. Maybe some resistance work in a pool. Now, whether or not there is a benefit of such exercises to a perfectly healthy ligament, that I'm not sure about really. I'd be interested to know myself.
    Maximus:
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

http://kandeecup.tripod.com/gif

"Success does not necessarily mean advancement;... it refers to the accomplishment or sense of achievement one obtains from trying one's best... I...enjoy the process of become stronger and more muscular."

tjwes, I can flex fat ;)

Rep Points

HAHAHA Randy = OWNED! hahahahahahah lmao! yep he is owned

Rep Points

http://www.acsm.org/health+fitness/p...prev071702.pdf

There is your answer, or at least the theory aS to how it happens.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

Drinking buddy

Rep Points

That all sound good to me. I have a partially torn totator cuff and I just have to be carefull. I do believe that if I stopped working out completely that my arm would fall off . No, but I would have had to had surgery by now!
    " I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."-Johnny Carson

///M Rider

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Newt
    That all sound good to me. I have a partially torn totator cuff and I just have to be carefull. I do believe that if I stopped working out completely that my arm would fall off . No, but I would have had to had surgery by now!
    i had the same newt...and 3 months of PT and laying off the weights completely for about 4 months, helped immensely with the pain.
    Maximus:
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

http://kandeecup.tripod.com/gif

"Success does not necessarily mean advancement;... it refers to the accomplishment or sense of achievement one obtains from trying one's best... I...enjoy the process of become stronger and more muscular."