Types of fat

Thread: Types of fat

Rep Points

Types of fat

I was thinking about this after thanksgiving because of all the high fat dark turkey meat...normally most people say that fats with omega 3's like fish oil are the ultra-healthy ones, and unsaturated fats like PB, etc. are the "healthy" fats, and saturated fats are "bad". But I was reading this article the other day that said that we get way too many omega-6 fats in our diet, and unsaturated fats like PB are a source of Omega 6 fats. What is important is that we get enough omega-3's. So my question is, if you make sure that you are getting enough omega 3's, is there any difference between getting your other fats from saturated vs. unsaturated sources? I have been avoiding fatty meats and dairy products and eating plain PB to get my fats in (I struggle to eat enough fat in my diet), but is this really healthier? Like for instance, my last meal/snack is a can of tuna (with ff cheese and hot sauce) and 2 tbsp. PB. That's about 15 g. fat and 40 g. protein. Is this really any healthier than if I ate, say, a lean steak or something that has the same % protein and fat, but with the fat coming from saturated sources? Is there any research that shows the advantage of unsaturated fats over saturated?

Luke

Rep Points

OMG yeah there is an advantage. Most people don't get enough Omega 3 Fatty acids. There should be a balance of 1:3 with n3 & n6 but most American's have a balance of 1:40. Hence cut down on the 6's and increase the 3's.

omega 3's help with heart disease, anti-inflammatory, skin conditions, immune system support, and so many more like increasing fat mobilization by releasing FFA into the blood stream to be used for energy.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi
    OMG yeah there is an advantage. Most people don't get enough Omega 3 Fatty acids. There should be a balance of 1:3 with n3 & n6 but most American's have a balance of 1:40. Hence cut down on the 6's and increase the 3's.

omega 3's help with heart disease, anti-inflammatory, skin conditions, immune system support, and so many more like increasing fat mobilization by releasing FFA into the blood stream to be used for energy.

Right, I totally agree with you about the importance of omega-3's. My question is, for the omega-6's that you do get, is there really a difference between getting your omega-6's from saturated vs. unsaturated sources? Most people say that unsaturated sources are better than saturated, but isn't the important thing the balance of omega 3's to omega 6's? Is steak as good of a fat source as PB?

Thanks,
    Luke

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by luke77
    My question is, for the omega-6's that you do get, is there really a difference between getting your omega-6's from saturated vs. unsaturated sources?
    Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fats. you can not get them from saturated fats which are found mainly in animal protein sources...
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Rep Points

Ahhhhh.........Omega 6 is a polyunsaturated fat not a saturated fat. Are you thinking Omega 9?

Omega 3 - Alpha-linolenic acid - Polyunsaturated: flaxseed and flax oil
    Eicosapentaenoic acid/Docosahexainoic acid: Fish Oil and Fatty Fish

Omega 6 - Linoleic acid - Polyunsaturated: Flax oil, Safflower oil, sunflower oil, Borage oil, small amount from poultry

Omega 9 (not an EFA) - Oleic acid - Monounsaturated: Nuts, olive oil, avocado, animal products

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Rep Points

Ahhhhh.........Omega 6 is a polyunsaturated fat not a saturated fat. Are you thinking Omega 9?

Omega 3 - Alpha-linolenic acid - Polyunsaturated: flaxseed and flax oil
    Eicosapentaenoic acid/Docosahexainoic acid: Fish Oil and Fatty Fish

Omega 6 - Linoleic acid - Polyunsaturated: Flax oil, Safflower oil, sunflower oil, Borage oil, small amount from poultry

Omega 9 (not an EFA) - Oleic acid - Monounsaturated: Nuts, olive oil, avocado, animal products

Oh, I must have been confusing omega-6 and omega-9. Thanks for pointing that out. So are saturated fats omega-9 fats? If so, the question remains the same: Is there any advantage to getting your fats from stuff like PB over animal/dairy (saturated) fats, if they are both omega-9 sources? Or am I totally confused and getting something wrong?

Thanks,
    Luke

Rep Points

No, saturated fats are saturated fats. Omega 9 is a listed above.

I think you got things a little confused.

Here are the types of fats:
    Omega 3, Omega 6, Omega 9, Saturated Fat, TransFat

Omega 3-9 are above.
    Saturated Fats is animal fat, eggs (little bit of 6) & MCT's (eg. coconut oil)
    TransFat - Stay AWAY FROM THESE: Hydrogenated oils

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

and even more important is that Omega 3 fatty acids are used to construct neurotranmitters and receivers in the brain. Omega 3 fatty acids defeciencies have been linked to mental health disorders, specifically schizophrenia, depression, ADD, ADHD and bi-polar disorder...
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

My Little Man

Rep Points

So do we get enough 3's and 6's from eating tuna?
    What this means is that when we drop a ball and it falls to the ground, it wasn't the ball that moved (down to the ground), but the ground that moved (up to the ball)

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by KarlW
    So do we get enough 3's and 6's from eating tuna?
    Tuna is pretty lean...

Salmon and sardines have a lot of omega 3 fatty acids though. As well, flax seed is an excellent source. I get my other unsaturated fats from safflower oil, olive oil, peanuts/nuts, and eggs/milk on a smaller scale.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos