Optimal hours sleep per night?

Rep Points

Optimal hours sleep per night?

How many hours of sleep do i need per night. How many after a w/o day and how many after resting/cardio day? I often get only 7.

Rep Points

age plays a role in sleeping, but if you are a serious about body building you should probobly have 9-10 hours of sleep a night, and if you can probobly a little nap during the day but thats optional...

Follow @TheUnzippedFly

Rep Points

My one and only problem is not getting enough sleep. I force myself to get into bed earlier than I used to nowadays, and even though I am still not getting the necessary sleep, I still feel more energized when I hit the gym.
    Age: 22 | Height: 5'8" | Weight: 150 lbs | Penis: 12 inches

Rep Points

yup sleep is the most common thing people missunderstand, its can "grow" wonders...

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

sleep is overrated. I know tons of people myself included that get along fine with 5-6 hours a night. I haven't sleep more than 8 hours straight in 15 years...

it is the quality of the sleep that you get not the duration...
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

happy sumo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by LAM
    sleep is overrated. I know tons of people myself included that get along fine with 5-6 hours a night. I haven't sleep more than 8 hours straight in 15 years...

it is the quality of the sleep that you get not the duration...
    Yup. I get 6-7 hours.. anymore, and I feel groggy and lazy the rest of the day.
    P-side Inc.

"the post-workout high is more profound than any drug-induced rush imaginable." -Dante B.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

I agree. There is a woman on record sleeping one hour a night only, in England.

I however need more, it takes me a longer time to fall asleep too, so my quality is somewhat low. I have survived off 5 in a row before for extended periods when I was truly HAPPY with my life many years ago

I would prefer to have 8 hours in bed, the national average is about 7 for day workers and 4.5 for night.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

I like 8-9 if I have a day of no work and no school, but I usually shoot for 7 when I have one or the other. Maybe once a week I'll only get 6 hours.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

My Little Man

Rep Points

I do nightshifts sometimes and get 3-4 on those days. It definately ain't enough. By the end of the week I have no energy. I'm lucky to ever get > 8 even when working normal hours.
    What this means is that when we drop a ball and it falls to the ground, it wasn't the ball that moved (down to the ground), but the ground that moved (up to the ball)

Rep Points

My body almost feels like it is tingling the morning after a heavy lifting day, like i have brand new muscle or something. I love the feeling. I even get the feeling after a two hour nap after lifting.

cooking up a storm
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

4-5 hours per nite for me iv neva slept much since i was a kid

Rep Points

its usually 7-8 for me, however 8-9 is optimum... any less and i feel tired, any more and i'm still half asleep (drowsy) the whole day

mmmm weights..

Rep Points

usually i get about 8 hours. However, i just wake up whenever my brain wakes me up. I sleep for 10 hours somrtimes.
    Damn

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by QuestionGuy
    age plays a role in sleeping, but if you are a serious about body building you should probobly have 9-10 hours of sleep a night, and if you can probobly a little nap during the day but thats optional...
    I agree.

Rep Points

When I was on M1T I was sleeping 10-11 hours and still waking up tired. Now I usually get 7-8 and I'm good.
    Let's all join together and SPEAK ENGLISH IN AMERICA.

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

im a total insomniac and have been getting about 4/5 hours of sleep a night for as long as i can remember.

im generally tired, but most of that is attitude rather than fatigue
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

I find working out knocks me out, and I get a better quality of sleep. Generally I get 8-9 hours of sleep per night. I find my sleep habits depend on the season. In the summer, 7-8 is plenty. In the winter 8-10 is the best for me. It is kinda hard, though. I am a morning person, but most of my friends love the night. So, I usually go to bed really early, as I normally wake up around 6:00 on work days. On the weekend, if I go out with friends, I can crash and burn after a while. I can't nap either. I just lay there with my eyes closed.
    First Lesson: Go Big or Go HOME!

Second Lesson: You are what you eat!

..is bulking up!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

It takes me a while to fall asleep. I find if i get 8 hours, i wake up automatically AND feel refreshed.

Here is a recent news item on sleep : Studies find lost sleep equals gained weight

Training Trainer
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I read a long time ago that sleeping immediately after a hard or very long workout greatly improves recovery - so I tend to stick to that. So after my long runs or bikes I'll eat, stretch and then crash for an hour or two. I find it makes a big difference in being able to train many hours a week.

So I probably get 6-7 hours regular sleep and then 1-2 hours every other day napping. Sleep is a big priority though. If I need it, I take it.
    Today I can do what others will not so that tomorrow I will do what others cannot.

The difference between winners and losers is that winners do things that losers don't want to do.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy
    I read a long time ago that sleeping immediately after a hard or very long workout greatly improves recovery - so I tend to stick to that. So after my long runs or bikes I'll eat, stretch and then crash for an hour or two. I find it makes a big difference in being able to train many hours a week.

So I probably get 6-7 hours regular sleep and then 1-2 hours every other day napping. Sleep is a big priority though. If I need it, I take it.

true. i did a lot of research about sleeping and as i said the older you are the shorter sleep you need for your brain to "get rid" of all the data you dont use anymore and that are not important (everyone is different), anyway but if you are a serious bodybuilder sleep can really play a big part in growth...... but everyone probobly knew it already...

High Intensity Freak
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by PreMier
    Yup. I get 6-7 hours.. anymore, and I feel groggy and lazy the rest of the day.
    I would have to agree here also, if I sleep more than 6 1/2 - 7 hours, I always feel extremely sluggish and tired.
    "I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me" - Philippians 4:13

"For NOTHING is impossible with GOD" - Luke 1:37

TEAM AY

Rep Points

7-1/2 hours seems to be the optimum for me. Sometimes less, sometimes more but I always seem to average 7-1/2. I read an article a while back that stated figures close to what Mudge said. The average person sleeps about 7 hours a night. But back at the turn of the century, when there wasn't the conveniences of modern living, AND most people worked their ass off in the fields, the average was closer to 11 hours a night.

Rep Points

Ive been getting about 8 hours of poor quality sleep per night. Usually i sleep pretty well so its probobaly the Vasopro. I usually got a lot of energy after a workout, but ill try taking a short nap, seems to be effective.

Rep Points

Lol I sleep good 12 hours, do I got some disorder or something what gives here should I get an alarm and keep getting up regularly? I've been this way since high school sleeping through most my classes and lunch sometimes. I think its not normal for 21 year old guy what do you think?

Swelling up

Rep Points

I feel my best after about 8-9 hours of sleep, but anything less than 7 hours leaves me tired all day, and not as intense in my training. I dunno why, probably just psychological.
    I'm coming in the gym, i'm coming at home, i'm coming in front of 25,000 people...it's fantastic!

Elite Kiki
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I got 5 last night and i feel tired as hell today. I took some No Dos which barely work me up...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbm8795 View Post
    Oh, I think Americans understand that the one thing conservatives hate the most is the idea of spending American tax money on Americans. . .in America.

Your tax money is safe. . .in Iraq.
    Total ownage.