• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Sushi

BigDyl

Elite Kiki
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I have been eating this on occasion lately. I goto the local Health food store and buy two plastic boxes of it. Everything in it appears good, except the white rice. I usually get the tuna, wrapped in seaweed with gucamole. But it has the damn white rice, but not much. So, how good/bad is sushi for you? I would assume it was good except for the rice... Wish they used brown rice...

it shouldn't be bad for you, I mean its just fish and rice and some greens. White rice isn't all that bad for you, it just lacks the fiber and other vitamins that brown rice has, and I believe it's GI isn't much higher than brown anyways. But someone correct me if I'm wrong. does it have nutritional info. and ing. list?

They make sushi with brown rice, but it isn't as good. The brown rice is sort of hard compared to the soft white rice. Anyway, they usually call it the same thing but they put "healthy" in front. (i.e. "Healthy California Roll")

Honestly, that tiny little bit of white rice won't hurt you.

Sushi is fine.

If it is a good sushi place the rice should be authentic japanese short-grain sushi rice. When cooked correctly (without adding a whole heap of sugar to the recipe - which some people do) this means the GI would be low (authentic japanese sushi rice has a low GI)...

The fish is an excellent source of protein and omega-3 fats (especially if you eat salmon)... But the intake would not be enough for your needs - well, not unless you had a few rolls, which would probably push your carbs up too high... You might want to get one or two rolls and then some sashimi to make up the difference.

Other ingredients (seaweed, cucumber, japanese vegetables etc) are all fine for you too...

But I would watch some of the other ingredients (esp. mayo.... but the guacomole may be ok, depending on what they put in it - if it is mostly avocado then it should be ok)...

To give you an idea of calorie content: Sushi Nutrition

Anybody knows if sushi is really safe to eat? I know all Japan eats it but I read some bad cases due to the uncooked fish.

BigDyl, sushi is not that hard to make, why not do your own with brown rice? Don´t worry about the white rice though, it is not that bad. It only lacks nutrients and the GI is a little bit higher.

thatguy said:
Honestly, that tiny little bit of white rice won't hurt you.
Until you start to eat the amount of sushi I can eat...c'mon I can pound like 8-10 rolls without breaking a sweat...one day I'll try to max out and eat as much as possible.

Who cares if it's good for you. Sushi is fucking awesome. Period. I have eaten 50 pieces of sushi in a sitting before, maybe 15-20 being pieces from rolls.

Vieope said:
Anybody knows if sushi is really safe to eat?

the sushi chef at the place that I go to doesn't even eat sushi ! he likes KFC better... :laugh:

DeadBolt said:
Until you start to eat the amount of sushi I can eat...c'mon I can pound like 8-10 rolls without breaking a sweat...one day I'll try to max out and eat as much as possible.

Dude I eat like two trays at a time or 18 rolls.

BigDyl said:
Your a big guy...I'm only 170lbs LOL. But I'm sure I could give ya a run for your money.

IML Gear Cream!
Sushi is great for you....save for the bad carbs from the white rice... If that's your concern...eat Sashimi then...no rice, whatsoever... Sushi is nice and high in protein obviously.

Sushi certainly kicks ass, I eat it almost every day and roll my own to sometimes, You get handrolled sushi which are small cones of Nori with sushi fixins inside, they tend to have less rice in them....

Vieope said:
Anybody knows if sushi is really safe to eat? I know all Japan eats it but I read some bad cases due to the uncooked fish.

BigDyl, sushi is not that hard to make, why not do your own with brown rice? Don´t worry about the white rice though, it is not that bad. It only lacks nutrients and the GI is a little bit higher.

I don't think uncooked fish is bad,I have been eating raw fish from since I was a kid.We would go out and pull up the nets,every other saturday morning,and my dad would get these huge clams,we would sit on the boat eating fish straight from the ocean and clams raw,so I don't think it's harmful at all.

sashimi is much better value for money - no filler (rice)!!

If your store has wasabe and fresh ginger, have your sashimi with it - the taste rocks and its fantastic for digestion.

The newer HEB grocery stores here in Austin have fresh sushi bars in them. It is fricking delicious. The small amount of rice should not be an issue when you look at the rest of the quality ingredients that you are eating with it. No major spices or processed sauces. Just real natural vegies, clean fish with all the nutrients still in it, and a Sobee Energy Drink to wash it all down with.

Ding* Ding* ... lunch time!!

BigDyl said:

Are you guys talking about rolls? or slices? One roll should be 6 slices right? Are you talking about 108 slices(which would be a serious shitload, call the Guiness book of world records) here? Or 3 rolls which anybody could eat?

Paynne said:
Are you guys talking about rolls? or slices? One roll should be 6 slices right? Are you talking about 108 slices(which would be a serious shitload, call the Guiness book of world records) here? Or 3 rolls which anybody could eat?
Yeea that would be a crap load of rolls...I could eat 8 rolls easy. Ive done it before and loved every second of it LOL.

Paynne said:

It's definetly possible..I go to an all you can eat sushi place ($24) and can easilly wack down 6-7 rolls by myself and I don't even have a big appetitie...

spider rolls are the bomb !

spider rolls are the absolute bomb, I agree

squanto said:
whats in spider rolls?
Yea really I know alot of rolls but spider rolls I have never heard of.

Spider rolls are made with soft shell crab, and yes, they are f'ing amazing!

:rocker:

dojdave11 said:
Spider rolls are made with soft shell crab, and yes, they are f'ing amazing!

:rocker:
Yes TY...the guys at my firehouse had sushi last night and I read the menu...I went lookin for that roll the whole time lol.

I've been tuna fishing for my entire life and have learned to limit tuna intake. I guess it depends on where the fish is from, but because I live on the Atlantic shore it is possible to get mercury poisoning from too much tuna intake (due to contamination). It isn't limited to raw tuna either, it includes canned tuna.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/reprints/mercury.html

cfs3 said:
So the sushi seems to be ok, but with guacamole? Isn't that a bit fattening?
It is actually avacados in the sushi and I simply ask the to replace the avacados with cucumber.

Back