• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Couple ???'s

w8lifter

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Lately my left elbow joint has been causing me pain when my arm is in a fully contracted state....the top of a bicep curl, beginning movement of a tri pressdown, etc. So I have been only lifting to the point just before pain....like the the bottom 3/4 of a bicep curl. My question is.....am I getting anything out of these partial movements or what?

Ok, and my next question is really stupid :D I have this plate-loaded rowing machine at the gym...each 'arm' swings individually. If I've got a 45 on each side, what am I lifting...45 or 90 :eek:

I would have to advise maybe taking a 1-2 week break from lifting to heal your injury instead of risking even further injury to your elbow joint, but that is really not an answer to your question, I would say yes you are getting the benefit of the 3/4 bicep curl because at the top of the curl is where the resistance is lessened anyway.
2nd Q, I would say you are simulating one arm bent over dumbell rows with this machine so 45lbs is the answer (i think), I am definitely no expert on either question, just trying to offer my 2 cents worth. ;) Mike

I've been having the same problem, I have to use the EZ curl bar for bi's as the straight bar hurts to much. I've also changed some of my other lifts because of it. Guess I should see a doctor about it.

Second Q, 90lb.

Originally posted by w8lifter
Oh great....anyone wanna be the tie breaker :D

hmm I'd say you were doing 45lbs a side :D

as long as its not painful during the partial movement,i'd say keep trying to workout.also,remeber the ICE thing i pm you a while back.if it keeps giving you grief,may take a little time off.i know you got something coming up soon so just train smart,and good luck by the way:thumb: :D

Originally posted by Tank316
as long as its not painful during the partial movement,i'd say keep trying to workout.also,remeber the ICE thing i pm you a while back.if it keeps giving you grief,may take a little time off.i know you got something coming up soon so just train smart,and good luck by the way:thumb: :D

Thanks Tank....I can't really take time off right now...but it doesn't hurt w/ the partials so I'll stick w/ that for a while....and take a big break later :)

with partials, you can typically go up in weight depending on the type of movement. I do partials in the strong range of the movement after I do 3 sets of full reps. This will help build the ligaments and tendons at the joints. I usually increase poundage by 20% for partials. My full range rep strength is increasing and my shoulders and elbows don't hurt as much as before.

IAB and I have debated about your Q2. You just have to pick one way of recording it and be consistent!

(personally, I'd say 45 - but that's me).

Ok, and my next question is really stupid :D I have this plate-loaded rowing machine at the gym...each 'arm' swings individually. If I've got a 45 on each side, what am I lifting...45 or 90 :eek:

I would say 45, since the arms work independently. If you were working both arms at the same time (like with any barbell move), I'd say it was 90.

Just my opinion. But I have a big red ass....what do I know? :D

90 sounds more badass though :grin:
badass....is that person back....j/k yes 90lbs sounds more tough though.:D :lifter:

Lately my left elbow joint has been causing me pain when my arm is in a fully contracted state....the top of a bicep curl, beginning movement of a tri pressdown, etc. So I have been only lifting to the point just before pain....like the the bottom 3/4 of a bicep curl. My question is.....am I getting anything out of these partial movements or what?

This pain you speak of is quite common to weight lifters. Partial movements are better than no movement. However, you may want to try different exercises to see if you can find some that don't hurt in the fully contracted state and/or lower the weight and decrease rep speed to cause less trauma on the inflamed tendon(s).

If you pull both handles at the same time, like a bent bar row, than it would be 90 lbs. If you pull each individually, like a dumbell row, than it would be 45 lbs. But, doing it each way is really a somewhat different exercise.

Well, the handles move individually but I do 'em both at the the same time, lol.

I'm trying to find exercises but I'm running out, lol...these all hurt...pronated bicep curl w/ straight bar or ez curl, pressdowns w/ rope, straight bar & v-bar, lying tricep extension w/ ez curl....I was doing them to the chin, but since I started doing them to the forehead it doesn't hurt.

So this is another inflamed tendon? WTF is causing this? I did heavy strength training for several months...do you think that could be causing it?

who cares if its 45 a side or total of 90 its still the same thing.:rolleyes: :D

Well, the handles move individually but I do 'em both at the the same time, lol.

I'm trying to find exercises but I'm running out, lol...these all hurt...pronated bicep curl w/ straight bar or ez curl, pressdowns w/ rope, straight bar & v-bar, lying tricep extension w/ ez curl....I was doing them to the chin, but since I started doing them to the forehead it doesn't hurt.

So this is another inflamed tendon? WTF is causing this? I did heavy strength training for several months...do you think that could be causing it?

Yes...this is most likely an inflamed tendon or an injury to the brachialis muscle. Heavy strength training can cause this if you were using the same exercises over and over.

Do hammer curls and reverse curls hurt more than regular curls?

Reply to W8 lifter any ??s

Hey W 8 it sounds like you need a short layoff have you ever tried badminton?
Also you may want to use Glucosamine Chondroiton for you joints.
If you continue to train you could risk even more than pain you could injure yourself.
I dont want to discourage you however the old saying no pain no gain doesnt ring a bell from what i hear you saying.
Have you tried the rice method of rest , ice, compression or elevation?
As far as the 45 or 90 question your lifting 45 with both arms because you said the arms of the machine are separate, but like you said in one of your threads 90 sounds better.
PS you replied to one of my posts on fitness girl sites. Now that ive seen your name it was a post that you recommended any idea of what the email addres is? Please respond

Do hammer curls and reverse curls hurt more than regular curls?

No, they don't hurt at all. I dropped the weight a bit like you suggested and was able to get a ful ROM on ez curls today :thumb:

CH....No, I don't play badminton...I'll have to go check out that other thread again, I forget what you were talking about.

pointing fingers like that......huh........i think you just poked my eye out...oh ,nope it was just a piece of gum that YOU JUST SPIT OUT:finger: :D

Originally posted by Tank316
pointing fingers like that......huh........i think you just poked my eye out...oh ,nope it was just a piece of gum that YOU JUST SPIT OUT:finger: :D

OMG I'm rolling here!!!!!!!!!!!
:clap:

Q2

ON Q2 i would say 45 also becuase of the indepenedant working of each arm also. :eek: Who cares how it sounds you know how bad you really are...;) :D

Okay you two....knock it off :eek:

I'm gonna go by 45's

Well if you were to do barbell bent over rows then it would be 90!! ;)

Back