NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Power Lifting Advice

Scouser

Rep Points

Power Lifting Advice

Power Lifting Advice
    Power lifting Advice

Hi guys let me introduce myself:

24yr old male Current Best Lifts

Stats: Arms 16.5inc Dead Lift 215kg

Chest (not expanded) 44inc Bench 150kg

Waist: 36inc Squat 120kg (Est.)

BF: 20%

Weight: 14st

Not sure about legs

I have been training with free weights since I was 18. I have always been naturally strong and have recently started considered trying to qualify for a national effect. The national unassisted powerlifting is next June with qualifying in April 2004. I am hoping to compete in the 90kg class. My problem is I have not trained my legs for over a year now and they are really skinny in comparison to my upper body. Since I need to squat the most weight possible for competition how should I go about training my legs? At the moment I am doing nothing, and training my upper body on 3 day split:

Chest/triceps

Back/biceps

Shoulders

My other question relates to reducing my body fat, I would like to get my BF% down to 10% is this possible if I am trying to increase my strength and stay within the 90kg class?

Sorry for my life story but would appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Paul

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

The slower you diet down, the better your chances of maintaining strength.

Scouser

Rep Points

Thanks for the advice Mudge. Will put some photos up over the next couple of weeks in order to track my progress. Is it worth buying a fat burning supplement? If so which one would you recommend?

Drinking buddy

Rep Points

did you say you bench more than you squat? If this is the case you are not going to get anywhere in power lifting. Squat and dead lift are the key. A good bench is important but not as much as squat and deads.
    " I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."-Johnny Carson

Rep Points

Mon-Squat

Wed-Bench

Fri Deadlift

Sat-Bench

Scouser

Rep Points

Hey Newt,

Yeah at the moment I can bench press more than I can squat, I have not trained my legs in over a year. During my last chest session i benched 160kg for 1 rep unassisted this was my best bench to date. My aim is to qualify for the UK powerlifting championship in the 90 kg class. In order to qualify my total needs to be 540kg.

Drinking buddy

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gray
    Hey Newt,

Yeah at the moment I can bench press more than I can squat, I have not trained my legs in over a year. During my last chest session i benched 160kg for 1 rep unassisted this was my best bench to date. My aim is to qualify for the UK powerlifting championship in the 90 kg class. In order to qualify my total needs to be 540kg.
    I don't remember how many KG are in a lb, 2.something, but at 180 something lbs you will still need to up your squat. Just get in there and do it! If you are that size and can bench that much then I know you are naturally strong anyway. Work hard and get that squat up man, you can do it. Good luck in your meets.
    " I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."-Johnny Carson

Scouser

Rep Points

SDB thanks for the routine. Newt than for the encouragement will go to the gym Wed (squat)and see how I get on! Just bought a power lifting belt (never used one in the past) which hopefully will allow me to squat more. Aim to put some photographs on the site over the next week in order to monitor my progress. ( think int 2.2lbs to a kg)

Drinking buddy

Rep Points

Kick Ass! Take care of business!