• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Bench sticking point; fix with DBs?

Squaggleboggin

Functional Lifting = Life
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I maxed out today, and my friend who was watching (not the spotter) said that my sticking point seemed to be about half way up when I asked him. Which muscles would come into play at this approximate point, and what DB exercises could I do to strengthen these and get past this sticking point? Thanks in advance.

Lats and triceps. You can do rack lockouts, or you can train under your sticking point with some speed work.

DB movements, no idea, I dont do them. When I use dumbells to train my barbell lifts go down with pressing.

Yeah, what Mudge said. Also make sure your benching form is good. Improving form can up your bench as well. Check Bench Form in Mudge's sig.

Thats odd, because I think that is my sticking point also, and my lats are strong as hell, and so are my Tri's I think.

I row a lot, but not on the same exact plane as the bench. Pullups I dont even use weight, just bodyweight, I'm a tad over 240.

Triceps for me, are my weak point. To bring your lats into play you are supposed to bring the bar back upwards a bit, this is how the bench press is not a straight up and down movement. To get the most out of your bench there is a lot of work involved. I never die on the chest, its always half way if I fail. In order to utilize the lats more, you need to have the back arched, FORM FORM FORM is everything. I could still eek out 10-20 pounds from my bench if I could get it all nailed down properly with coaching. I have been working on form conciously for probably close to 2 years now, and still working on getting everything just right, leg drive is what I'm paying attention to now. Its not something I pay attention to when performing multiple reps, but its one of those little things that all adds up to your totals.

ive started to play a little with the form too, i read something the other day about leg drive and i tryed it with my low rep weight instead of jumping into my 1RM, i noticed a difference in the ease of the reps although its harder to concentrate on the complete form on each rep. im going to try it on my 1RM when i get comfortable with each aspect individually and see how it affects my sticking point, mine is when my arms are give or take at 90 degrees

I always forget to do leg drive.

Back