• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Grip Training

ballast

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I don't know if anyone here does any specific grip work, but, going through my old training logs I came across a few exercises that helped improve my grip for deadlifts and other exercises.
#1 One-Armed Hangs(from a chin bar)-hang from a chin bar using one hand at a time for 20-40 sec.Build up to holding a dumbell in the other hand for extra resistance.
#2 Farmer's Walks-Grab a heavy dumbell in each hand and walk a set distance or until your grip begins to fail(not too popular in most commercial gyms).
#3 Pinch Gripping-Start with 2 10-pound olympic plates.With the plates facing each other so the smooth sides are facing out, grip the plates in one hand with the thumb on one side and the first two fingers on the other.Hold for time.
The one-armed hangs worked best for me, but they're a real bitch.

------------------
"I'm just here to kick a$$, sleep till noon"

Those are good ballast. Also, doing t-bar rows w/ a towel is good for grapplers who need a strong grip for a gi.

Speaking of exercises for grapplers.I have used this in the recent past and it builds scary strength.It is a very basic exercise and one could even call it primitive, if one were so inclined.I'm sure it won't be too popular with the bodybuilders, but any participants in contact sports, especially grappling will find it effective.It is called the sandbag bearhug and walk.You need a large canvas duffel bag or a military seabag.(you can find these at any army/navy surplus store).Fill the bag with a measured amount of sand(two of my former training partners and I built up to using a 215 pound bag of sand).Now, you simply bend down,grab the bag in a bearhug and walk for a set distance or until the bag slips from your grasp.When I first moved here with my cousin, he always tried to wrestle me and he would always overpower me.Now, he is one giant ape.At 6'2" he weighs in at 220-225 and is strong as a bull.Compared to my little 6' 185-ib ass, it wasn't much of a contest.Six weeks of bearhug walks and I was holding my own against him.For anyone interested in building some functional strength, give them a try.

------------------
"I'm just here to kick a$$, sleep till noon"

Back