IronMagLabs

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

What's the difference between whey isolates and blend?

Rep Points

Question What's the difference between whey isolates and blend?

I'm looking on alltheywhey.com and I can't figure out the difference. I know that the isolate has the following (shortened version)

Calories 102
    Total Fat < 1g < 2%
    Saturated Fat <1 g 2%
    Total Carbs 1 g < 1%
    Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
    Lactose < .6 g
    Potein 24 g 48%

and the whey blend has this:

Calories 108
    Total Fat 1 g 2%
    Saturated Fat <1 g 2%
    Total Carbs 2 g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
    Protein 22 g 44%

The only difference I really see is that the whey blend has a few more cals and two less grams of protien, and one less carb. Does that really matter? The blend is less expensive....

Any comments?

Rep Points

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Rep Points

Wow....I didn't realize there were so many choices. Thanks for the link.
    By the way, do you have any recommendations on which to use?

Rep Points

what you use depends on when you're using it (post workout or as a meal replacement at another time etc.) definitely check out the article IanDaniel linked. it's a good one.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
    If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- 14th Dalai Lama

Rep Points

I'll be using it at different times, but my main use will be post workout. I might use it for breakfast with other whole foods because I get reallllly tired of eggs.

Rep Points

post workout you want a fast digesting protein (whey isolate) at other times you'd be better with a slower digesting protein. you can buy 2 types or you can go with the whey isolate and add a fat source for the non post workout times you use it (i.e. scoop of natural peanut butter) to slow digestion.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
    If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- 14th Dalai Lama

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

a "true" blended protein contains a whey fraction, egg albumin and caesin
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Rep Points

one of the important thing about them:

concentrate whey - BV 104
    isolate whey - BV 159

Rep Points

Ummmm...what does BV mean?

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by nikegurl
    post workout you want a fast digesting protein (whey isolate) at other times you'd be better with a slower digesting protein. you can buy 2 types or you can go with the whey isolate and add a fat source for the non post workout times you use it (i.e. scoop of natural peanut butter) to slow digestion.

Great! Thanks a bunch.

Founder of GOSB
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

BV=biological value. THe higher the value the better. Realistically though, most everyone agrees that anything over 100 is just a number and that you can not get over 100. Here is an example...........

A measurement of protein quality expressing the rate of efficiency with which protein is used for growth.

Egg contains the highest quality food protein known. It is so nearly perfect, in fact, that egg protein is often the standard by which all other proteins are judged. Based on the essential amino acids it provides, egg protein is second only to mother's milk for human nutrition. On a scale with 100 representing top efficiency, these are the biological values of proteins in several foods.* -see Nutrient, Protein

Whole egg 93.7
    Milk 84.5
    Fish 76.0
    Beef 74.3
    Soybeans 72.8
    Rice, polished 64.0
    Wheat, whole 64.0
    Corn 60.0
    Beans, dry 58.0

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by mandypumpkin
    Ummmm...what does BV mean?
    Biological Value - proportion of protein retained in the human body for maintenance and or growth.

Whey proteins(s) 100
    Whole Egg 93.7
    Milk 84.5
    Fish 76.0
    Beef 74.3
    Soybeans 72.8
    Rice, polished 64.0
    Wheat, whole 64.0
    Corn 60.0
    Beans, dry 58.0

Example : you have a 6 oz ground sirloin burger which has 62 grams of protein . the BV of beef is 74.3. So 62 x .74 = 45.88. that burger supplys you with almost 46 grams of protein
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Rep Points

Okay....let me get this straight. Since concentrate whey has a BV of 104 and
    isolate whey has a BV of 159, that means that I'll use a greater % of the isolate whey. But, since they are both over 100, does that mean that I can do the formula as stated by LAM?

Example : you have a 6 oz ground sirloin burger which has 62 grams of protein . the BV of beef is 74.3. So 62 x .74 = 45.88. that burger supplys you with almost 46 grams of protein

My Question: You have 1 scoop of isolate whey with 22 g protein. Does that mean that I can do this? 22 x 1.59 = 34.98 g protein? Or does that only apply to food?

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

the BV score that whey is given is bogus. in the "real world" whey has a BV of 100. which means 100% of the protein is available for maintenance and or growth

Founder of GOSB
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Protein powder is already "broken down". So it is all available. Food has to be processed by the body. You can't end up with more than you started with.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

That's what I thought....thanks for clarifying!