The 10 Worst Snack Foods

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

The 10 Worst Snack Foods

* Read this today, thought I should share.*

Enter any convenience store in the United States and you'll quickly spot an array of so-called foods that could have come straight off the request list on Lil' Bow Wow's concert rider (I did not make this up. The young rapper's contract states that he must have the following foods backstage: Twizzlers, Doritos, Sprite, Starbursts, Hawaiian Punch and orange soda). But hey, Bow Wow's no worse than Britney, Christina or any teen in any mall anywhere in America. Or their parents.

Snack food in America seems to become more horrible with every passing year. Here's my list of the worst snack foods of all time. (But be forewarned: This list could become outdated the minute the food industry introduces yet another must-have concoction of sugar, chemicals, coloring and grease to add pounds to your waistline while adding nothing to your nutrition.)

1. French Fries

Don't be reassured by the fact that McDonald's is changing its cooking oil. French fries are still starchy white potatoes cooked in hot fat and flavored with chemicals and sugar. Possibly the worst snack food on the planet.

2. Donuts

Fried bread. Need I say more? And if that wasn't bad enough, add a sugary cream filling and a glaze of more sugar on top. Any questions?

3. Chips (Potato or Corn)

These are really just a packaged version of French fries (see #1). However, you can do damage control on this one by switching to baked blue corn chips, available in health food stores. It's still not real food, but it beats the 7-Eleven version any day.

4. Soda

And sorry, this includes the diet kind. Absolutely nothing of any value here, and a whole lot of chemicals to boot.

5. Cupcakes and Snack Cakes

The creamy filling is fake whipped cream, and the rest of it is sugar, flour and flavoring. You've gotta be kidding.

6. Candy Bars

You might squeeze a gram or two of protein out of the nuts in some of them, but by and large they're a sugar orgy and a nutrition nightmare. Again, you can move slightly up the food chain by switching to one of the "energy" bars. Most are just candy bars disguised as health food but they often have 1/3 less calories, quite a bit more protein and a bit less fat. Don't confuse them with real food though.

7. Pork Rinds

Fried pork skin. Not a good thing!

8. Fat-Free Cookies

These are even more insidious because they pretend to be healthy. Remember, fat-free doesn't equal calorie free. Betcha can't eat just one!

9. Crackers

Trans-fats anyone? Most crackers are loaded with 'em. Read your labels carefully to find the few that aren't.

10. Pretzels

Surprise, surprise. Remember, just because something doesn't have fat doesn't make it good. This is just white flour, water and sugar masquerading as a healthy snack. Fuggedaboutit.

Runner up: Those creamy, carmelly, coconutty coffee mocha-latte-frappe drinks that are taking over the universe. I love my Starbucks too, but 20 ounces of caffeine, sugar, whipped cream and milk taken once or twice a day does not a lean waistline make!

And yes, the calories you drink count.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Life's a bitch!!!

I see YOU!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Then ya die...
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

There's sugar in french fries?
    It's humbling to start fresh. It takes a lot of courage. But it can be reinvigorating. You just have to put your ego on a shelf & tell it to be quiet. - J.R. Payette

RAWR!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I'm suprised crisco sugar balls weren't on there. They're one of my favorites.
    Homer: Hey! I saved your life! That egg sandwich could have killed you by cholesterol.
    Lenny: Pfft, forget it, Homer. While it has been established that eggs contain cholesterol, it has not yet been proven conclusively that they actually raise the level of serum cholesterol in the human
    blood stream.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by min0 lee
    You might squeeze a gram or two of protein out of the nuts
    but by and large they're a sugar orgy
    j/k

Huntington Beach Profession: Professional Baller Hair-color: Medium Brown Height: 5 foot 11 inches EyeColor: Blue-Green
    Rep Points

I can relate to coffee being on there. At school we have all our blonde, self obsessed girls who care so much about how they look. So what do they do? They dont eat and stick to the staple foods like rockstars and starbucks blends. Kinda of funny watching someone consume a huge amount of sugar all day thinking that theyre eating healthy. Meanwhile Im trying to eat between every class, everday, just to maintain.
    Age-16
    Weight-164
    BF %-10<_<12
    National*Professional*Paintball-Players*League Novice Division.

INK NOT MINK
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I need to post this on another forum where they believe crackers are good for cutting

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by sara
    I need to post this on another forum where they believe crackers are good for cutting
    Tell them that I can attest, speaking as a cracker...I don't help much. But they can eat me if they like.
    It's humbling to start fresh. It takes a lot of courage. But it can be reinvigorating. You just have to put your ego on a shelf & tell it to be quiet. - J.R. Payette

I'm special :)

Rep Points

Crackers are good for nausea and heartburn tho.
    I can do it

I WILL be a size 5.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

9.Crackers

Trans-fats anyone? Most crackers are loaded with 'em. Read your labels carefully to find the few that aren't.

By Dr. Joseph Mercola
    with Rachael Droege

Trans fatty acids, also known as trans fat, is an artery-clogging fat that is formed when vegetable oils are hardened into margarine or shortening. It is found in many other foods besides margarine and shortening, however, including fried foods like french fries and fried chicken, doughnuts, cookies, pastries and crackers. In the United States, typical french fries have about 40 percent trans fatty acids and many popular cookies and crackers range from 30 percent to 50 percent trans fatty acids. Doughnuts have about 35 percent to 40 percent trans fatty acids

Lucky Luke

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by greekblondechic
    Crackers are good for nausea and heartburn tho.
    You have a stange deffinition for 'good'
    "If you're not part of the solution, you're the precipitate."

Rep Points

its all propaganda.. all those foods are very nutrious.
    if they werent good for you.. do u think the FDA would let people consume those foods. i mean come on look at the good job they did letting us consume Ephedra and Aspartame.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

How are pretzels in the top ten there's way worse stuff than pretzels.

INK NOT MINK
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

By Dr. Joseph Mercola
    with Rachael Droege

Trans fatty acids, also known as trans fat, is an artery-clogging fat that is formed when vegetable oils are hardened into margarine or shortening. It is found in many other foods besides margarine and shortening, however, including fried foods like french fries and fried chicken, doughnuts, cookies, pastries and crackers. In the United States, typical french fries have about 40 percent trans fatty acids and many popular cookies and crackers range from 30 percent to 50 percent trans fatty acids. Doughnuts have about 35 percent to 40 percent trans fatty acids
    Do you want to give them a lecture? I don't mind

INK NOT MINK
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by j rizz
    if they werent good for you.. do u think the FDA would let people consume those foods. i mean come on look at the good job they did letting us consume Ephedra and Aspartame.
    It's called MONEY

Lucky Luke

Rep Points

Sara's a Smart girl
    "If you're not part of the solution, you're the precipitate."

Back to reality

Rep Points

i mean come on look at the good job they did letting us consume Ephedra and Aspartame.
    2 staples in my diet

Rep Points

In this months IronMag Newsletter, I did a little write up on transfat.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

With respect to Jodi.

Jodi's Diet Corner

Stay Away From Trans Fatty Acids

Remember when the big thing was everyone ranting how bad Saturated Fat was? How it was going to kill us and cause coronary heart disease and we were all going to die because we eat eggs and beef. And how about those packaged Twinkies that are cooked in palm oil or lard? We were doomed! Ahhhhhh!

Never fear we have liquid vegetable oil. Except...hmmmm, it’s not stable enough and it turns rancid, what do we do now? Ah ha! We will hydrogenate these liquid vegetable oils. Now that’s an idea! Let’s hydrogenate these oils so they handle the food production better and have longer shelf life.

Wow, what an idea that was. Now look where it got us. Heart disease is worse now than when they were using saturated fats. It took them this long to discover that as a result of hydrogenation, trans fatty acids are formed.

Trans Fatty Acids are found in most prepared packaged foods such as cookies, cakes, crackers, boxed meals, microwave popcorn and commercially fried foods. Basically, any package that lists the ingredients hydrogenated, partially-hydrogenated vegetable oils or shortening has trans fat in it.

Trans fatty acids lower HDL and increase LDL therefore increasing the risk of heart disease. There are also recent studies showing that trans fat may linked to Type II Diabetes (Adult Onset Diabetes) as well.

Don’t be afraid of fat and be sure to get enough essential fatty acids. Just make sure your diet has as little Trans Fatty Acids as possible. Your heart will thank you!

Be sure to read Jodi's "sticky thread" in the forums: Guide to Cutting, Bulking & Maintenance

INK NOT MINK
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Im going to start reading the monthly newsletter

Rep Points

You know what they say,
    Any food without an expiration date won't support microbial life,
    Hence it won't support any life at all.

this is why I'm hot!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

hey...what about plain microwave popcorn?? Is it as bad as pretzels, etc...nevermind that I could eat a whole bag....lmao....

Rep Points

the FDA wants people to become fat. WHY? because fat people eat more.

Edit: i should say, fat people tend to eat more of those "foods"

INK NOT MINK
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

So they can sell more drugs