pulling better than pushing

tryin to grow...
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

pulling better than pushing

my bi's and back are my two strongest muscle groups. ive trained chest and tri's just as long and hard but they aren't as developed. My friend suggested that my pulling exercises are better (more efficient) than pushing- he is right on- and now that i think about it they have always been. if anyone saw the weight i curl or row they would assume i bench more.

i was wondering if anyone has this same problem or has ever heard of it. also if more volume is the best way for pushing to catch up to pulling?

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

everybody has their lifts.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I agree. Push and pull lifts are both good for overall development. Don't neglect one for the other.
    It's humbling to start fresh. It takes a lot of courage. But it can be reinvigorating. You just have to put your ego on a shelf & tell it to be quiet. - J.R. Payette

Rep Points

Variation is also a key factor in getting your "push" to catch up to your "pull". Change up your routine every 6-8 weeks or so. If the only thing you do to build a stronger chest is BP then you will hit a plateau
    "Know your limits... but never stop trying to exceed them." --Anon.

tryin to grow...
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I switch up my routine every week : alternating presses- bar and db, order, incline, flat, decline. same with flies, crossovers & dips. i'm not currently on a plateau- my pulling muscles are just more advanced than pushing

Rep Points

My push movements are way better than my pull movements, opposite of you. I can bench 300, but 95 lb curls are a real b1tch for me. You'd think a guy benchin 300 would be able to whip through 95lb curls, not me, I know guys benching almost 100 less than me that can out curl me big time. Like P funk said everyone has their strong points.
    "I don't like small cars or real big women, but somehow I always find myself in 'em" - KR

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Could simply be your efficiency with benching, it is a compound lift. The more muscles you effectively utilize, the more you press.

tryin to grow...
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

good info- ill just have to work harder on my bp. i have tried many dif. chest workouts and some have added some weight to my bp but it is still not where it needs to be.

have you guys read any articles or know of anything in pirticular that have helped you strengthen your bench press?

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Bench form link in my signature. I flat bench for 3-5 sets, and incline for 2. I dont do any flys or anything like that.

Form first, the rest will come with time.

My tricep movements are also based on simple movements, close grip benches, and sometimes an overhead dumbell press. I rarely do pushdowns, kickbacks or any light movements.

Delt stuff, is almost non-existent for me. I do a set of side laterals and a very light rotator set, I dont do any overhead pressing or rear delt stuff. Pressing and pulling covers that, my delts haven't been affected because of this lack of training other than the dont bother me anymore (knock on wood).

tryin to grow...
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

wow ive had shoulder problems in the past and when i first started lifting my shoulder would kill during bench press. for delts- i do heavy db overhead presses/ arnold presses/ lat raise/ bent raise /front raise- alternating sitting, standing, cable, db, etc. you think this delt routine is too much and could be effecting my bench press?

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Well, first locking down the bench form to take pressure off the shoulders is a start. They still come into play, but to a lesser extent.

From there, like I said, I do ZERO overhead pressing, I do only side laterals, 1, sometimes 2 sets, and a light set of rotator work.

You already hit your delts every time you press and pull, so you are training them twice by doing extra delt work IMO. For me it works, it wasn't an idea I invented its more a powerliters thing. Those guys move lots of weight so to reduce abuse on the body they come up with those things, and honestly my delts have not suffered from it.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

I'm the opposite of you. My push muscles are better developed and stronger than my pull muscles. My lats and biceps are so small, it really sucks. My chest, shoulders, and triceps are halfway decent for my size though.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

extensors should be able to produce more force than flexors. for example if you can leg curl more than you can leg extension or bicep curl more than you can close grip bench I would say the problem lies in your training.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Rep Points

I have that problem with my biceps I can curl a lot for my size but my other mucsles arn't as developed.
    19 years old Bodyweight 135 pounds Bodyfat 14% 5"6
    Max Squat unknown Max Bench Unknown Goals for March
    Bodyweight 150 pounds.Max Squat 250 pounds Max Bench 200 pounds.

tryin to grow...
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I can def move a lot more weight with my extensors. im talking in relative terms: example in my training: one arm db row 100lbs. for 10-12 reps. Flat Bench (Bar) up to 225 5-7 reps. DB. flat press: 85lbs 5-7 reps.
    Bar curl: 115 8 reps. Close Grip Press: 175 8 reps
    Doesnt it seem like i should be pushing 10-20% more weight?