Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Allergic to Gluten

Rep Points

Allergic to Gluten

I'm sure there's a couple other people out there with this problem. I have a disease called celiacs and i'm trying to gain weight and bulk up. I've read most of the other posts about gaining weight and majority of everyone's advice is simply eat more. Problem is that i'm just about allergic to every carb it seems and i've been about the same weight for a year and a half now lifting 4 days a week with my strength increasing a lot but no mass at all. I'm really strong for my size but I need mass to be able to play football and weighing so little isn't goign to help that all too much. Any thoughts would be appreciated, I don't really know what to do. I've tried some weight gaining shakes and what not but nothing has worked. Thanks in advance.

High $ociety

Rep Points

Weird, I was just researching my thread(on raw oats and how they affect the digestive tract) and came up on this disease and remembered reading your thread earlier in the day.

http://health.yahoo.com/centers/digestive/_44.html

Hmmm, there has to be a way around it. I'm guessing you'll just have to find proteins and carbs without gluten(obviously). What carbs can you eat right now?

Acting Normal...

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by dave_E
    I'm sure there's a couple other people out there with this problem. I have a disease called celiacs and i'm trying to gain weight and bulk up. I've read most of the other posts about gaining weight and majority of everyone's advice is simply eat more. Problem is that i'm just about allergic to every carb it seems and i've been about the same weight for a year and a half now lifting 4 days a week with my strength increasing a lot but no mass at all. I'm really strong for my size but I need mass to be able to play football and weighing so little isn't goign to help that all too much. Any thoughts would be appreciated, I don't really know what to do. I've tried some weight gaining shakes and what not but nothing has worked. Thanks in advance.
    What are you currently eating?

Although you say you have heard it before, if youa re trying to gain weight and it is not working there is only a few things that you can do:
    1. Eat more
    2. Do less
    3. Change what you eat.

If you are not expending extreme amounts of energy (eg: VERY taxing job) then doing less is not always a beneficial option (in terms of overall health and to increase positive nutrient partitioning it is best to stay active to a certain degree).... But you can certainly try to eat more, or if not MORE eat a better quality of foods.

It might just be a case of increasing your calorie dense foods like nuts/fats.

But there are lots of carb sources that do not have gluten in them - buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, millet, corn, beans (kindey, black bean, turtle, broad, etc), sweet potato, fruits.

All of these are great sources of energy and can easily be substituted for gluten containing carbs. Also, oats seem to be tolerated to a greater extent that other gluten containing grains - so you could try those.

Dairy is also a great source of carbohydrates and is one of the most anabolic substances out - milk is also REALLY cheap! But you can also go for fat-free/sugar-free yoghurts as a good carb (esp around your workouts).

Protein and fat sources should not be effected at all - so just continue to eat your eggs, lean meats/poutry, seafood, nuts and seeds.

Rep Points

Dave- My wife nearly died from undiagnosed celiac disease so I know how serious the condition can be- Go to celiac.com for more info. There are a number of good sites where you can order gluten-free baked goods and don't forget all the different kinds of potatoes. Check with some of the MRP shake makers to be sure their products are gluten-free- we had good luck with EAS products.