• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

pull-ups and push ups?

sgtneo

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
hiya peeps, have been really busy with sorting out army stuff last wek so havent been on, but i ahve been told i need to do a load of push-ups, pul-ups and sit-ups, sit-ups i can allready do and are allready oin m work out but what im not sure on is the pull ups and push ups where to put them in my routine. i know pull ups do both back and bi's so am not sure my self and not to sure on push ups, so here is my routine and plz let me know where would be best to place them and what sort of reps i should try

MON - Chest and Bi's
3 sets bench press 40kgx12 45kgx10-12 50kgx8-10
3 sets incline dumbell press 3 sets of 12 reps at 15kg dumbells
2 sets of flys at 10kg dumbells 12 reps
incline curl 3 sets of 12 reps at 10kg, and 3rd set on 12.5 kg up to 8 reps
curl same as above

TUES - Shoulders and Traps(abs included)
Dumbell shoulder press 3 sets of 12 at 12.5kg
barbell upright row 3 sets of 8-10, 8, 7 reps at 40kg
Dumbbell rear deltoid row 2 sets at 12.5kg
barbell and dumbell shrugs
abs 5 sets of 15 reps first 3 sets with 7.kg resistance and last 2 sets with 10kg resistanse

WED - Cardio

THURS - Back and Tri's
Dead lift 3 sets of 12 at 50kg, 55kg and then 60kg
Over head 1 arm cable rows 3 sets 35-40kgs
good mornings 3 sets of 12 reps at 35kg, 40kg and 45kg
close grip nbench press 3 sets of 12 reps at 30kg, 35kg, 40kg
lying tricpe extensions (Skull crusher) 2 sets of 12 reps at 30kg and 35kg
wide grip push downs 2 sets of 12 at 35-40kg

FRI - Legs (abs included)
Squats 3 sets of 12 reps at 55kg, 60kg and 65kg squatting down as far as possible (parralell)
leg press 2 sets of 12 at 65kg and 72kg
leg extensions, 2 sets of 12 at 35kg and 40kg
leg curls 2 sets at 30 and 35kg
standing leg calf raise 2 sets at 65kg
abs same as tuesday

thanks

Neo

im trying to get in the army i want to put my fitness levels well above what they require so i am ready for basic training

Neo

i would incorportate the pull ups on your back day as for press ups i dont really see the point if your doing weighted chest and tricep work.

Pushups for time (the military physical fitness test) becomes almost a muscle memory, build up a certain amount, kind of test. Even if you can lift heavy weight on a BP, you must do pushups so your chest can handle the rapid fire piston like event. I would do them at the end of your chest workout. I imagine that the maximum for your test is around 75-80 in 2 minutes without stopping. So I would attempt to do 40 (if you can do that), take a 1 minute rest, then do 40 again, 1 min rest, final 40. Every two or three weeks increase the number until you get to around 65, then just do two sets. (assuming that you are able to do the 40 and it is getting easier). And BTW, practice perfect form. I assume that they have the same standard as the US Army, that your upper arms must be parallel to the ground or it doesnt count. So, the only way to guarantee is to go beyond that during your training. Thats my 2 cents.

cheers i will add pull ups on back day doing as many as i can manage i guess, and push ups i will do 2-3 times a week

Neo

Hey Neo,
I am in prep for similar training for the Police Academy and asthetics like Pushups, Pullups and Situps are key. I do wide grip and close grip Pullups on back day. I do them first when I have my strength the most and then a few at the end just to push myself. As for the pushups, I do them on Chest day. As stated above I make sure my form and posture are good. You wouldn't want to practice it the wrong way since they become habit forming. There are also some Pushups I did when I used to do tris on a separate day. I would keep my palms close in, arms to my side and elbows pointing toward my feet.

cheers shutupntrain, i think i will definatly stick push and pull ups in ill do close and wide grip pull ups as for triceps i push them very hard as they are my fav muscle to excersise so i dont think i would need more individual tricep excersises

Neo

sgtneo said:
cheers shutupntrain, i think i will definatly stick push and pull ups in ill do close and wide grip pull ups as for triceps i push them very hard as they are my fav muscle to excersise so i dont think i would need more individual tricep excersises

Neo
I love doing triceps as well. :thumb:

Back