• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Protein before OR after workout??

JTrollerb

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi,

I've heard many different opinions when it comes to when you should take the protein shake related to your workout time....The lady in GNC told me only to take it AFTER your workout, not before. I've also heard that you should take it BEFORE AND AFTER for maximum results.

What do you say??

I say do a search
I would need alot more info on your diet, But I would say after is much more efficient

After. Mix it with WATER and not milk. Take it within an hour post workout.

crazy_enough said:
I do both...1.5 hour pre and imm. post
I second this. I eat protein at EVERY meal. I eat solid food about an hour before but the shake immediately after. :thumb:

Good morning Crazy :wave:

And S&T :wave:

It's not good to eat solid foods before working out. Your muscles need increased bloodflow during exercise but during digestion your stomach also needs increased bloodflow so eating solid foods will cause more blood to be directed to your stomach for digestion rather than your muscles where you need it. Save the solid foods for after exercise.

gococksDJS said:
It's not good to eat solid foods before working out. Your muscles need increased bloodflow during exercise but during digestion your stomach also needs increased bloodflow so eating solid foods will cause more blood to be directed to your stomach for digestion rather than your muscles where you need it. Save the solid foods for after exercise.
I used to do that and I don't like it. I suppose if you are doing cardio maybe not but about an hour-two before I workout I always eat oatmeal and tuna. I feel I have more energy and my workout is strong. I take in a shake and solid food post workout ;)

Witmaster said:
Good morning Crazy :wave:

And S&T :wave:
Hello Wit. I can't wait to have my very own Weim. You always make me think that when I see your avi. Next year hopefully when I get my house with a piece of property :rolleyes: In the meanwhile I'm going to think of a name for him :D

IML Gear Cream!
gococksDJS said:
I agree.

I train early in the AM, so all I have is 40 G protein, supps. and a piece of fruit upon rising, which is about 1 hr to 1.5 before I lift. I chug another 40 g pro+ fruit imm. post w/o and have a solid meal 1/2 hour to 45 minutes after.

Whey protein before and after training!

I take a scoop before I leave for workout (gym is about 20min. away) and three scoops as soon as I fall against the wall directly after I'm done working out while still in the gym.

gopro said:
Whey protein before and after training!
Whats the bennefits of before? (not contesting you, I'm curious)

crazy_enough said:
I do both...1.5 hour pre and imm. post
Same here! ... I figure it can't hurt and might as well cover all the bases! :thumb:

I have a meal right before, and a shake after.

Curlingcadys said:
Whats the bennefits of before? (not contesting you, I'm curious)

Whey has a high BV, and is easily digested. Within 30mins of consumption, it will be available to use for energy. It also contains more vitamins and minerals than solid meats.

Oh wait, I dont know anything :bulb:

IML Gear Cream!
Whey before and Whey + Carbs after

Ya, I have a shake 45min before with 1cup skim milk, about a scoop and a 1/5 of whey, a banana, and some PB. My post workout shake I have waiting for me out in the car(on ice during warmer months) that has 1 1/2 cups of milk(though it is better to have water for post-workout) scoop and 1/5 of whey, banana and some honey. You want to get at least 60g of carbs in your post workout shake. I usually aim for 80-100 since I am bulking right now. You don't want any fat or fiber in your post-workout shake because it will slow down digestion and slow the absorption of everything. For the pre-workout shake, fat and fiber are ok because it will make for a more timed, sustained release and absorbtion of the nutrients for your workout. That is why I put some PB in mine. I also take some ALA as soon as I am done lifting to shuttle more of the carbs to my muscles.

You should use R-ALA. The S isomer in regular ALA is detrimental.

whey+high GI carbs before and after. Logic being that the aminos and sugars are already floating around in your bloodstream during the workout as opposed to you having to wait x amount of time to down the shake then for it to pass through your GI tract etc.

In the end however, its really a trivial thing. There are huge mofo's out there that don't even worry about whey around workout time, they just workout and then eat when they're hungry. They get just as big as anyone else, its all about consistency. A post w/o shake, or lack thereof, won't make or break your results.

Back