• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Cottage Cheese and Lactose Intolerance

Robin Hood

Shut up and train!
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I'm lactose intolerant, but can digest goat's milk and cow or goat yoghurt. I love cottage cheese and it is a high source of protein. Does cottage cheese have a lot of lactose in it? I thought I read somewhere that it didn't.

So if I can tolerate yoghurt, do y'all think I should try cottage cheese. I realize that everyone's system is different, but I just don't want to eat something and then have a vile reaction.

Emma-Leigh...are you out there?

Robin Hood said:
So if I can tolerate yoghurt, do y'all think I should try cottage cheese. I realize that everyone's system is different, but I just don't want to eat something and then have a vile reaction.

I am almost positive it has none...or in very trace amounts. I think that is one of the reasons why it is so good to eat before bed. I'm no Emma-Leigh, though. ;)

Robin Hood said:

Hey Robin,

When they make CC they usually get rid of a lot of the lactose (it seperates off with the whey) but there is still going to be a little bit in there - the amount of which will vary depending on the type you get and the processing it has been through (most of the carbs in 1%-4% types will be lactose so if you look at the label it will tell you roughly how much you will get).

You can try rinsing the curds one you get them home to try to remove a little more (the lactose is usually in the liquid fraction). Or just try a little one day (1/4 of a cup or 1-2 tbs) and see how your stomach reacts.

Thanks Emma :)

You'll have to get dry curd cottage cheese, it is pressed until most of the whey(lactose carrying liquid) is squeezed out and then the bacterial culture they add to it strips away the rest of the lactose. But I doubt there is enough lactose even in regular cottage cheese to worry about, I think fat-free would be the best since it's the closest to dry curd you can get.

thatguy said:
I am almost positive it has none...or in very trace amounts.

yup. the bacteria or yeast used in the fermentation cultures produce enzymes that break down the lactose

Back