• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

What exactly does a popping joint mean?

Brak86

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Can someone explain this to me? I dont know what literally happens when your shoulder, knee, back etcpop. Are the bones popping or is it the joint? Whats goin on inside your body when you "pop?" Also, is it bad if you pop?

I dont think it's bad unless you have pain acompinied with the pop,my shoulders pop when I start my warmup routine but after that it stop's,do you have popping through your whole workout?and is there any pain with it?

What do you mean with popping? Sound or when you think it is dislocated?

I have something like that, when I abduct my left arm, I feel a weird popping feeling, you can feel the pop if you put your hand on my shoulder. My right arm does the same, but the pop is not nearly as great, it's only a little pop, and it doesn't happen all the time. The left arm pops everytime though. It doesn't hurt if I do it a few times, but if I were to do it about 6 or 7 times it will start to hurt.

The 'popping' is air leaving the joint(so I was told), and isnt detrimental in any way.

It's actually nitrogen, but that happens when you crack your neck or crack your back. I don't know if it has something to do with the popping of the shoulder. I can't see there being that much nitrogen in a body part. I actually had a chiropractor come into my kinesiology class today as a guest speaker and he talked about how it was nitrogen.

Well, guess what? Nitrogen makes up 78% of the atmosphere.. so its air. :shrug:

The word nitrogen appeared more times in the article than air, which did not appear at all.

IML Gear Cream!
Dude!!! Look at the link you posted.. it says "Air, a mixture of gasses".
DGuy said:

Now look at the scientific article I posted, it says "Escaping gases: Scientists explain that synovial fluid present in your joints acts as a lubricant. The fluid contains the gases oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide."

Thats not just one gas, its a MIXTURE! Im not going to argue something so frivolous with you. Your wrong, the evidence shows it..

No, YOU'RE wrong, and YOUR grammar is terrible...

I love how someone points out my grammer on an internet forum, it only happens when they dont have anything better to say. Your point is mute, g'day :laugh:

It is thought to be nitrogen that is in the joint space...when you traction a joint...like when you pull your finger to crack your knuckle, the negative pressure you casue in the closed system allows the nitrogen to come out of solution and go back in quickly....this is one "theory" behind the popping noise.

the other thing, more common in shoulders and ankles, is tendons slipping over certain areas on the bone during movements. This also makes a popping sound and is more likely what is going on in the shoulder.

there are also things known as "joint mice" which are basically small bony debris in the joint space from degenerative changes that may crackle when moved....often seen in knees. It is a crackle more than a pop though.....rice krispys baby...snap crackle pop.

anyway...it usually isnt anything to worry about as long as there is no pain or restriction of movement...so pop away!

Back