NapsGear.net

Grip Types for Lifting

Grip Types for Lifting

Hey, can anyone tell me why some pro bodybuilders prefer to lift with their thumb behind the bar rather than have a grip around the bar? I saw a picture of Arnold doing 400+ lbs bench press with that type of grip, and it just looks dangerous at a glance.

I'm currently experimenting with grip types, after discovering that my current grip is not the best, as there is a lot of stress on my wrists. It's a little frustrating, because the new grips are awkward and I have to decrease my bench/shoulder press weight.

Any help would be great.

this pic is not real

Rep Points

Im not positive about the pic of Arnold your talking about but its sounds like what they call the "suicide" grip...for obvious reasons. I have seen 3 different guys lose the bar and bouce it off of their chests, once it was during a benchpress contest! (suicide grip is illegal in most bp contests by the way) I would NOT recommend you try it. You have to try what feels right for you, I have a standard grip when Im benching with barbells but dumbbells and even machines allow you to experiment with your grip. Keep it safe.

My Little Man

Rep Points

Is that the same as the 'false grip' where the thumb is on the same side of the bar as the fingers?

If find it feels more like I'm pushing and using the pecs when I employ this grip. But I usually try to use the standard grip.
    What this means is that when we drop a ball and it falls to the ground, it wasn't the ball that moved (down to the ground), but the ground that moved (up to the ball)

this pic is not real

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by KarlW
    Is that the same as the 'false grip' where the thumb is on the same side of the bar as the fingers?

If find it feels more like I'm pushing and using the pecs when I employ this grip. But I usually try to use the standard grip.

Yeah, that sounds like it. Some guys will even purposely place the bar closer to the base of the hand so there isnt much finger action at all...its not safe but it does work your muscles a bit differently (at least it FEELS different). I do use this grip when warming up and with lighter weights up to about 225, after that its standard grip all the way for me.

Yea, I figured it may involve the muscles differently to use the Suicide Grip.....I feel the same when I focus on keeping my knuckles parallel to the ceiling instead of bent back on my wrist.On a similar note, you see these BB's using all kinds of different techniques/variations to ordinary exercises. There was a pic of Arnold doing pretty heavy bent over rows barefoot standing on a narrow bench. It's not so much "monkey see monkey do" as it is curiosity to how they decide to do stuff that seems pretty unreasonable/dangerous.

My Little Man

Rep Points

Wasn't that Franco in that pic?

And yeah, that looks dangerous. I mean why bother?
    What this means is that when we drop a ball and it falls to the ground, it wasn't the ball that moved (down to the ground), but the ground that moved (up to the ball)

this pic is not real

Rep Points

HEY, if all you do is LIFT for 3-4 hours a day EVERY day you would GET BORED TOO!!!!! LOL