Stretching

Thread: Stretching

Rep Points

Post Stretching

The Evening News the other day informed us of a New Study, finding it best to "Stretch" AFTER workouts not Before? This is "News" to me? lol. What do you all know about this?

Rep Points

what? how about doing warmup reps as another way to stretch... and then going home and sleeping afterwards? lol

happy sumo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

It is better to stretch afterwards. Stretching before provides no real benefit, and will lower the maximum amount of weight you can lift.
    P-side Inc.

"the post-workout high is more profound than any drug-induced rush imaginable." -Dante B.

A higher realm

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kracin
    what? how about doing warmup reps as another way to stretch... and then going home and sleeping afterwards? lol
    I agree with you....I find stretching a waste of time. (example.....doing stiff legged dead lifts. You are definetely stretching your hams during the excercise itself)
    POWERS OF THE HERB OPEN UP THE MIND......SEEK DEEP INSIDE.....TELL ME WHAT YOU FIND

happy sumo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Stretching is optimal for hypertrophy when done right after an exercise.. so I wouldnt dismiss it all together.
    P-side Inc.

"the post-workout high is more profound than any drug-induced rush imaginable." -Dante B.

A higher realm

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by PreMier
    Stretching is optimal for hypertrophy when done right after an exercise.. so I wouldnt dismiss it all together.
    True, but if you dont have the time or energy I believe you can stretch while traing the muscle. I work alot and have a son so 2 hours in the gym is plenty everyday. When I get home I relax and im definetely not going to waste my time stretching at the gym.
    POWERS OF THE HERB OPEN UP THE MIND......SEEK DEEP INSIDE.....TELL ME WHAT YOU FIND

190 Here I Come!

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard Keenan
    True, but if you dont have the time or energy I believe you can stretch while traing the muscle. I work alot and have a son so 2 hours in the gym is plenty everyday. When I get home I relax and im definetely not going to waste my time stretching at the gym.
    2 hours?
    Note to self: Eat More, Train Hard, and Eat More!

A higher realm

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by vegman
    2 hours?
    Well usually 1 1/2 hours. But lately Ive tried shocking my body for the lsat few weeks. Instead of 2 muscle groups a night I have been hitting 3. Only for a month.

Rep Points

Ok, i noticed u have touched base on Stretching in some previous posts towards the end/beginning of the year? I did not readily notice them b4 i posted. sorry 2 have bored some of u. LOL. I have only started my fitness research recently and have yet to learn about stretching? I do think i will go out and find more information?

happy sumo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Where are you from?
    P-side Inc.

Rep Points

i'm from Mars!

................................April fools.

happy sumo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

P-side Inc.

Rep Points

i recently took up "Chi Kung" a stretching technique of Tai Chi. Both the Book & Video of "Tai Chi for beginners with David Carradine" is great. I am amazed at the results of "Chi Kung" and the nice fluid motion that stretches the body good. Lots of different excercises to focus on 2: Back, Neck, Shoulders... and my favorite is the "Wrist" sounds silly but as u know the PC can wreak havoc on our fingers, Wrist and forearms. i find "Chi Kung" really stretches and extends those important PC muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by Missfit4all
    i recently took up "Chi Kung" a stretching technique of Tai Chi. Both the Book & Video of "Tai Chi for beginners with David Carradine" is great. I am amazed at the results of "Chi Kung" and the nice fluid motion that stretches the body good. Lots of different excercises to focus on 2: Back, Neck, Shoulders... and my favorite is the "Wrist" sounds silly but as u know the PC can wreak havoc on our fingers, Wrist and forearms. i find "Chi Kung" really stretches and extends those important PC muscles.

alot of people neglect flexibility, core stability and balance, disiplinces like pilates are much more benificial then the typical gym rat crunches routines you see in bodybuilding books. "bodybuilder style" abs are commonly "are all show no go" these individuals lack strength throughout the core

this pic is not real

Rep Points

Rep Points

Static stretching increases long term flexibility but at the same time reduces strength in the short term (Couple of hours). Because of this, static stretching is best done after a workout.

Dynamic stretching will increase blood flow and neural excitation and is more appropriate in a warm up. There has been no conclusive evidence as to whether dynamic stretching affects flexibility. If I were to stretch between sets, I would do dynamic stretching.

So, if your goal is to increase flexibility, static stretching after a workout is the way to go. If you are looking to warm up, increase blood flow, or get the body ready for a set or what have you, dynamic stretching as a warm up or between sets is appropriate.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by BiggerNstronger
    OK, we BELIEVE YOU...you ARE from Mars!!!!! LOLLLL

Saiyan Prince

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry
    Static stretching increases long term flexibility but at the same time reduces strength in the short term (Couple of hours). Because of this, static stretching is best done after a workout.

Dynamic stretching will increase blood flow and neural excitation and is more appropriate in a warm up. There has been no conclusive evidence as to whether dynamic stretching affects flexibility. If I were to stretch between sets, I would do dynamic stretching.

So, if your goal is to increase flexibility, static stretching after a workout is the way to go. If you are looking to warm up, increase blood flow, or get the body ready for a set or what have you, dynamic stretching as a warm up or between sets is appropriate.
    or you can do warm up sets with a bar

Older newbie

Rep Points

Okay, let me jump in here.
    I have heard the same info as Dale and PreMier: stretching AFTER exercise is best for flexibility and reducing hypertrophy. I would also add that stretching is less injury-prone after you warm up, which you certainly are after a workout.

Here is info on dynamic stretching:
    http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/dynamic.htm

Just take dynamic stretching slowly, don't turn it into ballistic stretching, as that's looking for injury, too. Although if Chi Kung is a Tai Chi technique, I can't imagine it ever being ballistic!
    Rob

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by warthogboy
    Okay, let me jump in here.
    I have heard the same info as Dale and PreMier: stretching AFTER exercise is best for flexibility and reducing hypertrophy. I would also add that stretching is less injury-prone after you warm up, which you certainly are after a workout.

Here is info on dynamic stretching:
    http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/dynamic.htm

Just take dynamic stretching slowly, don't turn it into ballistic stretching, as that's looking for injury, too. Although if Chi Kung is a Tai Chi technique, I can't imagine it ever being ballistic!
    Rob
    Okay did I read that right? Reducing hypertrophy?

Rep Points

Read up on Doggcrapp's extreme stretching if you want some good info.

His stretches are all after the work set and they are BRUTAL.

Older newbie

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by njc
    Okay did I read that right? Reducing hypertrophy?
    Oh-oh, got caught talking through my hat again! I wasn't thinking when I wrote that, sorry. Rob

The Evening News the other day informed us of a New Study, finding it best to "Stretch" AFTER workouts not Before? This is "News" to me? lol. What do you all know about this?

1)people NEED to learn the different types of stretching to start with-

Ballistic, dynamic, active, static, isometric, PNF

2) it is important to realise the difference between stretching and a warm up. the purpose of a warm up is to increase blood circulation to raise general body and deep muscle temperature, in doing so, you warm your muscles, ligaments and tendons in preparation for more vigorous activity, a proper warm up will reduce the risk of injury and improve performance, stretching is not a warm up, stretching can (and should) be included in the warm up but only after the bodys core temp as been raised get the blood pumping then proceed with static stretching followed by dynamic stretching

3. cool down is a must to reduce soreness etc, similar to the warm up but completed in reverse
    Last edited by Leon77; 04-05-2005 at 02:24 PM.