• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Stretching

Missfit4all

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
The Evening News the other day informed us of a New Study, finding it best to "Stretch" AFTER workouts not Before? This is "News" to me? lol. What do you all know about this? :hmmm:

what? how about doing warmup reps as another way to stretch... and then going home and sleeping afterwards? lol

It is better to stretch afterwards. Stretching before provides no real benefit, and will lower the maximum amount of weight you can lift.

Kracin said:
what? how about doing warmup reps as another way to stretch... and then going home and sleeping afterwards? lol
I agree with you....I find stretching a waste of time. (example.....doing stiff legged dead lifts. You are definetely stretching your hams during the excercise itself)

Stretching is optimal for hypertrophy when done right after an exercise.. so I wouldnt dismiss it all together.

PreMier said:
Stretching is optimal for hypertrophy when done right after an exercise.. so I wouldnt dismiss it all together.
True, but if you dont have the time or energy I believe you can stretch while traing the muscle. I work alot and have a son so 2 hours in the gym is plenty everyday. When I get home I relax and im definetely not going to waste my time stretching at the gym.

Maynard Keenan said:
True, but if you dont have the time or energy I believe you can stretch while traing the muscle. I work alot and have a son so 2 hours in the gym is plenty everyday. When I get home I relax and im definetely not going to waste my time stretching at the gym.
2 hours?

vegman said:
Well usually 1 1/2 hours. But lately Ive tried shocking my body for the lsat few weeks. Instead of 2 muscle groups a night I have been hitting 3. Only for a month.

Ok, i noticed u have touched base on Stretching in some previous posts towards the end/beginning of the year? I did not readily notice them b4 i posted. sorry 2 have bored some of u. :yawn: LOL. I have only started my fitness research recently and have yet to learn about stretching? I do think i will go out and find more information?

Where are you from?

:(

i recently took up "Chi Kung" a stretching technique of Tai Chi. Both the Book & Video of "Tai Chi for beginners with David Carradine" is great. :thumbup: I am amazed at the results of "Chi Kung" and the nice fluid motion that stretches the body good. Lots of different excercises to focus on 2: Back, Neck, Shoulders... and my favorite is the "Wrist" sounds silly but as u know the PC can wreak havoc on our fingers, Wrist and forearms. i find "Chi Kung" really stretches and extends those important PC muscles.

Missfit4all said:
i recently took up "Chi Kung" a stretching technique of Tai Chi. Both the Book & Video of "Tai Chi for beginners with David Carradine" is great. :thumbup: I am amazed at the results of "Chi Kung" and the nice fluid motion that stretches the body good. Lots of different excercises to focus on 2: Back, Neck, Shoulders... and my favorite is the "Wrist" sounds silly but as u know the PC can wreak havoc on our fingers, Wrist and forearms. i find "Chi Kung" really stretches and extends those important PC muscles.

alot of people neglect flexibility, core stability and balance, disiplinces like pilates are much more benificial then the typical gym rat crunches routines you see in bodybuilding books. "bodybuilder style" abs are commonly "are all show no go" these individuals lack strength throughout the core

Missfit4all said:

OK, we BELIEVE YOU...you ARE from Mars!!!!! LOLLLL ;)

Static stretching increases long term flexibility but at the same time reduces strength in the short term (Couple of hours). Because of this, static stretching is best done after a workout.

Dynamic stretching will increase blood flow and neural excitation and is more appropriate in a warm up. There has been no conclusive evidence as to whether dynamic stretching affects flexibility. If I were to stretch between sets, I would do dynamic stretching.

So, if your goal is to increase flexibility, static stretching after a workout is the way to go. If you are looking to warm up, increase blood flow, or get the body ready for a set or what have you, dynamic stretching as a warm up or between sets is appropriate.

Dale Mabry said:
Static stretching increases long term flexibility but at the same time reduces strength in the short term (Couple of hours). Because of this, static stretching is best done after a workout.

Dynamic stretching will increase blood flow and neural excitation and is more appropriate in a warm up. There has been no conclusive evidence as to whether dynamic stretching affects flexibility. If I were to stretch between sets, I would do dynamic stretching.

So, if your goal is to increase flexibility, static stretching after a workout is the way to go. If you are looking to warm up, increase blood flow, or get the body ready for a set or what have you, dynamic stretching as a warm up or between sets is appropriate.

or you can do warm up sets with a bar

Okay, let me jump in here.
I have heard the same info as Dale and PreMier: stretching AFTER exercise is best for flexibility and reducing hypertrophy. I would also add that stretching is less injury-prone after you warm up, which you certainly are after a workout.

Here is info on dynamic stretching:
http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/dynamic.htm

Just take dynamic stretching slowly, don't turn it into ballistic stretching, as that's looking for injury, too. Although if Chi Kung is a Tai Chi technique, I can't imagine it ever being ballistic!
Rob

warthogboy said:
Okay, let me jump in here.
I have heard the same info as Dale and PreMier: stretching AFTER exercise is best for flexibility and reducing hypertrophy. I would also add that stretching is less injury-prone after you warm up, which you certainly are after a workout.

Here is info on dynamic stretching:
http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/dynamic.htm

Just take dynamic stretching slowly, don't turn it into ballistic stretching, as that's looking for injury, too. Although if Chi Kung is a Tai Chi technique, I can't imagine it ever being ballistic!
Rob
Okay did I read that right? Reducing hypertrophy?

IML Gear Cream!
Read up on Doggcrapp's extreme stretching if you want some good info.

His stretches are all after the work set and they are BRUTAL.

njc said:
Okay did I read that right? Reducing hypertrophy?

Oh-oh, got caught talking through my hat again! I wasn't thinking when I wrote that, sorry. Rob

Missfit4all said:
The Evening News the other day informed us of a New Study, finding it best to "Stretch" AFTER workouts not Before? This is "News" to me? lol. What do you all know about this? :hmmm:

1)people NEED to learn the different types of stretching to start with-

Ballistic, dynamic, active, static, isometric, PNF

2) it is important to realise the difference between stretching and a warm up. the purpose of a warm up is to increase blood circulation to raise general body and deep muscle temperature, in doing so, you warm your muscles, ligaments and tendons in preparation for more vigorous activity, a proper warm up will reduce the risk of injury and improve performance, stretching is not a warm up, stretching can (and should) be included in the warm up but only after the bodys core temp as been raised get the blood pumping then proceed with static stretching followed by dynamic stretching

3. cool down is a must to reduce soreness etc, similar to the warm up but completed in reverse

Last edited:
Back