NapsGear.net

Broken thumb...can't lift

Rep Points

Broken thumb...can't lift

I hope this belongs in the "training section",
    So I started up Ishinru karate a few months ago and enjoyed my first bout of sparring yesterday.
    Today I have a left arm thats entirely black and blue. And a broken thumb on my right hand. Don't get me wrong, the class is really cool but I'm new and don't have pads, plus I blocked a kick with my right hand open...Now my thumb resembles a hotdog put in the microwave to long.
    So my question is has anyone here broken a thumb (where the thumb meets the hand) and how long did it take before you could start lifting with your hand.

P.S. yes I realize that "where the thumb meets the hand" sounds like some Budhist concept of illusion or something.
    I AM GETTING THERE

Thats a curse not a gift, good luck trying to fit 10 inches into something made for 8. -ForemanRules

If there is one thing I've learned from IronMag it is this: No matter what the problem is, the answer is always more drugs. -Piratefromhell
    I agree 100%...we need to make all Religion illegal now!!! - ForemanRules

Rep Points

No clue on how long. But after giving it a few days off I would train whatever you can without grip. Use machine to train your whole body pretty much. If you aren't a member at a gym with machines just get a 7-14 day pass or something and I am sure you can work it out. Hopefully someone can chime in on how long it should take to heal. If it was a toe, I'd just tape the shit and deal....but the thumb is a bit more important.

Rep Points

all i can say is, sorry to hear that man. I would just keep up your diet and cardio
    maybe use some machines open handed. Abs everything else you can possibly do without
    further injury. sucks ass i know. Just be carefull

Rep Points

Yea no biggy. Atleast you didnt break your arm or leg or something. Just imagine how long it would be before you could lift after something like that. Happened to me twice, it sucks when the whole time while your recovering all you can think about is wow I am almost able to lift again!

Simon

Rep Points

Ya , I'd say wait a week before doing any lifting . Give your thumb a good week rest without any stress . I broke my midle finger while mountain biking a few years back . After 2-3 weeks I was good as new . But ya , try to do exercises with machine . You may also be able to do some bench press on a smith with your palms . Just dont put to heavy of a weight and make sure you have a spot
    When a goal is reached comes satisfaction . You're accomplished as a person when you surpass those goals .

Rep Points

Pussy..............lol, jk good luck with lifting, take some time off