CleverShopping

Odor And Sex

Thread: Odor And Sex

Rep Points

Odor And Sex

Read this book if you get a chance.

Kohl, James Vaughn: THE SCENT OF EROS: MYSTERIES OF ODOR IN HUMAN SEXUALITY (New York, Contimuum, 1995)

It is the only book I've seen on the subject so far and it is very interesting. An aspect of Sex and Sexuality many probably do not even consider - and is important. It is worth your time to read it.

Take Care, John H.

Back from the dead

Rep Points

Im not into scat John H...

Rep Points

no

Rep Points

I prefer to read music. A book about the "mysteries" of stank ass doesn't even qualify as toilet paper.

After all...they don't hand out Grammy's for the best "Shit Sniffer"...but I'm sure you see this as a conspiracy.

IDIOT SAVANT

Rep Points

Here we go again, bashing a John H. thread just because John H. started it. You guys might want to stop and think about this one though. Odor is not always a bad thing. Have you ever heard of pheromones? They are chemical scents our bodies produce to attract the opposite sex. Rumor has it that if you manipulate pheromones correctly you'll get any and every woman you could possibly imagine. Sounds like a good read to me. Thanks John H.
    Rules? You mean we have RULES for that???

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ALBOB
    Here we go again, bashing a John H. thread just because John H. started it. You guys might want to stop and think about this one though. Odor is not always a bad thing. Have you ever heard of pheromones? They are chemical scents our bodies produce to attract the opposite sex. Rumor has it that if you manipulate pheromones correctly you'll get any and every woman you could possibly imagine. Sounds like a good read to me. Thanks John H.
    Is it working yet Albob

IDIOT SAVANT

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by craig777
    Is it working yet Albob
    Damn right it's working. I haven't showered in a month and you should see the looks the ladies are giving me.
    Rules? You mean we have RULES for that???

Back from the dead

Rep Points

Have you ever heard of pheromones? They are chemical scents our bodies produce to attract the opposite sex. Rumor has it that if you manipulate pheromones correctly you'll get any and every woman you could possibly imagine. Sounds like a good read to me. Thanks John H.
    Actually, in humans, it has not been proven that pheromones stimulate the olfactory senses. Instead they are detected by an organ in the nose called the vomeronasal organ and transmitted to the hypothalamus. If they were actual smells, you could tell when you emitted your own, but human's can not tell whether or not they are releasing pheromones. The bum in the mall parking lot who claims "Bitches will love you if you spread this on your neck" is not selling pheromones.

finding peace

Rep Points

Sheesh! Take a shower before sex to smell pretty.

What! I read it in an issure of Glamor today at work!

Voodoo Doll
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

i love my perfumes but wouldn't like them on a man. i wonder if that is nature or conditioning. yea it'd be a book worth reading.

you don't get what you wish for ~ you get what you work for

Peelosopher

Rep Points

are there boobies in it?

Rep Points

Hi ALBOB,

You're welcome! If those that did the bashing towards me had READ the book FIRST they would have learned a LOT and maybe even UNDERSTOOD this aspect of Sexual Attraction. And would not have "opened their mouth and inserted their foot"...

The book raises some very interesting thoughts and information. There is even discussion about Sexual Orientation and Smell and how it is felt that this is another way people are attracted to each other - Men to Men, Women to Women, Men to Women, Women to Men, etc.

It is a aspect of Sexuality that has not been written about much and probably - like most IMPORTANT things - is NOT understood much at all by the majority because we have lost our biological roots.

The senses - ALL OF THEM - ARE VERY IMPORTANT and MEANINGFUL and PURPOSEFUL.

Take Care, John H.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by rockgazer69
    i love my perfumes but wouldn't like them on a man. i wonder if that is nature or conditioning. yea it'd be a book worth reading.

Hi Rock,

Borrow the book from the library - or if they do not have it have them borrow it from another library for you - and read it - and let me know what you think after you have read it. OK?

Take Care, John H.

Voodoo Doll
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

after i get settled ok. right now i'm moving n i have 2 sick kids. but where ever we do live we always find the library before too long.

you don't get what you wish for ~ you get what you work for

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by rockgazer69
    after i get settled ok. right now i'm moving n i have 2 sick kids. but where ever we do live we always find the library before too long.
    Hi Rock,

Sorry TRUTHFULLY to hear of your kids being sick. I feel for them BIGTIME!! I KNOW what it is like for them!!!

As soon as you can get settled and everyone is feeling fine...

Take Care, John H.

Rep Points

stank croch sux, i have ran into allot of that from some shitty reason. mostly with
    spanish and black chicks though

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by gococksDJS
    Im not into scat John H...
    READ the book so you will know what you are talking about before you say anything.

John H.

Rep Points

Go to www.amazon.com and type in the title of the book in the "book" section of the site. You will see it is available in paperback and the reviews for it are also shown.

Go to www.loc.gov (The Library of Congress website) and click on to the on-line catalog and see what is also available on this subject.

Take Care, John H.

EAST COAST BRAT

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Crono1000
    are there boobies in it?
    LMAO!!!

John,

Due to the lack of time I have can you outline some finer points of the book for me?

Rep Points

The Scent Of Eros: Mysteries Of Odor In Human Sexuality

Quote Originally Posted by david
    LMAO!!!

John,

Due to the lack of time I have can you outline some finer points of the book for me?
    Hi David,

I borrowed a copy of the book THE SCENT OF EROS: MYSTERIES OF ODOR IN HUMAN SEXUALITY, by James Vaughn Kohl and Robert T. Francoeur (New York, Continuum) from the library and here is what it says about the book:

"Scientists have long known that odors and subliminal scents - sex attractants or pheromones - influence how animals develop, mate, bond, nurture their offspring. Recently, scientists have discovered that human animals are no exception. Odors, explain the authors, can accelerate puberty, control women's menstrual cycles, and even influence sexual orientation. They help us tell lovers and family members from strangers and let mothers and infants bond. Odors affect how often we have sex, and with whom. They influence how the brain develops, what we remember, and how we learn. Odors are the spice of life.

Grounded in solid scientific research, yet maintaining an easy-to-read style, THE SCENT OF EROS is an engrossing read on a whole new world under our noses!

Specifically, Kohl and Francoeur show that (1) pheromones influence genes, (2) that genes are found in nerve cells, (3) these nerve cells secrete a hormone, GnRh, which is at the very core of mammalian reproduction.

This hormone also acts as a neurotransmitter, thus playing two roles in sexuality - as a short-term, odor-induced stimulus, and as a long-term hormone with effects on our sex hormones. The authors suggest that the pheromonal activation of genes in nerve cells that secrete GnRh may be the primary link between nature and the nurture of human sexuality." (from the dust-jacket description).

Here are some reviews of this book:

"This is science at its best, with adventure, ideas, and lots of facts. Kohl and Francoeur explore our most primitive, subtle, and least understood form of communication - smell - and build a fascinating argument for its potent and pervasive role in life on earth. Along their journey, they offer provocative insights about human homosexuality, healing, female orgasm, abstract thought, emotions, fast dancing, the Muslim veil, and the natural superiority of the female nose. You will never look at your lover or family member the same way again." - Helen Fisher, Ph.D., New York University.

"A challenging and original work at the cutting edge of sexual science - innovative, quirky, speculative, and solid thinking all at once. Kohl and Francoeur 's thesis, that odor plays a far larger role in human sexuality than hitherto imagined, will give both lay and professional readers much to ponder about. It's also fascinating for showing how science is actually done, not by oracular statements from on high, but by leaps of imagination about topics we thought we had completely comprehended." - Timothy Perper, Ph.D.

"On the trail of the wild pheromone, Kohl and Francoeur lead us on a treasure hunt through history, literature, and scientific data - providing clues to what today's human mating patterns have in common with moths, marmosets, minotaurs, and even the serpent in the Garden of Eden." - Gina Ogden, Ph.D.

Go to your library and borrow it - or if they do not have it, ask them to borrow it for you from another library and read it. See what you think after doing so. The book is only 275 pages long including Notes, Biblioigraphy, and Index. It is not a long book and is very interesting.

See for yourself.

Take Care, John H.

Rep Points

Sorry I did not see all this. I just caught the last of a news report on a study that has just been completed and reported on. It basically says that there seems to most definitely be a connection between the natural odor of people and who they are attracted to Sexually (Sexual Orientation) and the brain. More evidence its biological.

Take Care, John H.