How do you do a deadlift, and what are all the different variations?

Rep Points

How do you do a deadlift, and what are all the different variations?

A few monthes ago, I believe I was doing the SLDL and ended up throwing my back out...So I would like to give it another chance and do it right this time. What is the "normal" deadlift and what exactly is the form you use? And is any deadlift better than the other? Thanx.
    Im 20. 6'3'' 235 lbs. Want to get to 8% body fat, +315 bench, +500 squat, and reach a weight between 230-240.

Rep Points

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Wai...#anchor1945210

check out this site it should help alot
    ILLEGITIMIS CON CARBORUNDUM!!
    (don't let the bastards grind you down)

I love vegetarians, they're a great source of lean protien!

Rep Points

I power with legs (strongest part of me) then use back for the last part, shoulder width grip!

I load up 5 reps each set!

1@ 300lbs
    2@ 400lbs
    3@ 450lbs
    4@ 500lbs
    5@ 550lbs
    6@ 600lbs
    7@ 650lbs

I never go to faliure dont belive in it!

Rep Points

Whats the best way to work on grip? Whenever I dead lift my hands slip but by backs OK.

Still Growing

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CancerNV
    Whats the best way to work on grip? Whenever I dead lift my hands slip but by backs OK.
    Try reverse grip. Also, if your gym allows it, chalk is awlays helpfull with keeping a good grip.
    Desire.Dedication.Deeznuts

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

The best way to work on grip is to hold something really heavy. As obvious as it sounds, it works. Just load up the bar (somewhere that's waist-level), and take it off and hold it for x seconds using y weight. Just make sure it's enough weight and time to improve your grip.

Rep Points

I hate deads for some reason. I guess its because whenever I have done them I just ended up hurting my back and not gaining anything from it.

Rep Points

One thing I found with my grip during deads was that when i used to use overhand grip exclusively, and switched to over/under I could deadlift a shit load more than overhand.
    www.monmouthkettlebells.blogspot.com
    AJ Oliva RKC, FMS
    Central NJ

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

Hmm... I used to do the mixed grip, but then I skipped a couple workouts (something happened to my shoulder) and I went to an overhand grip. Then the mixed one just felt weird, and it still does. I wonder why a lot of people can lift more that way.

Cutting sucks.

Rep Points

there's ONE thing to remember: keep your back arched INWARDS and you butt stuck out otherwise you run the risk of seriously hurting yourself. don't ever arch your back over.
    cutting sucks.

Rep Points

Experiment with different variations of deadlifts and find one or more that won't lead to injury (feels all around good and done with solid form)

Some to try

Sumo deads
    Conventional deads
    Stiff leg deadlifts (down to mid shin for example)
    Trap bar deads
    Dumbell deads
    One arm deadlifts
    Side deadlifts (this may not be best for avoiding injury)
    Bar between legs deadlift. sorry don't know exact name.
    Partial deads, reverse band deads

You can also work some of the same muscles doing GM variations etc and using other westside stuff

Personally, one of the best things I have ever done is train those fuckers less frequently. Now I am aiming for once ever 8-12 days roughly. I feel I am avoiding injury by waiting at least a week until all my joints and cns feel much better.

For me, when I am coming back from injury, I do something like a keystone deadlifts for awhile. Anything that has me start the lift already holding onto the weight so that all the tension is already on my body and there is no surprise like when I jerk it off the floor.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Squaggleboggin
    Hmm... I used to do the mixed grip, but then I skipped a couple workouts (something happened to my shoulder) and I went to an overhand grip. Then the mixed one just felt weird, and it still does. I wonder why a lot of people can lift more that way.

well this is just the rantings of an old lifter, but a couple of guys i talk to at the gym who compete (are about 60 or so) and have been lifting for 30 years each, both do their heaviest lifting with a switched grip (under and over) because it allows for a better grip. and when training to improve, reps and such, they use both over because as they say, it helps strengthen your overall grip since its easier to grip things underhand. so dont take this as true or false, just opinions from older lifters, and it seems to hold true when i do deadlifts, its always easier with chalk and a under/over grip.

Rep Points

Cool Idea! That would mean you might not need to work so hard on timed holds if your grip is lagging somewhat.

When you try to fit in stuff like farmers walks, timed holds and a lot of other forearm work, it can get tedious. I like to train crushing grip and pinch grip as well myself but often don't get around to it.