• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Incline Bench vs Flat Bench

Doublebase

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
My goal is gaining mass. Should I just do flat bench for my chest and not incline bench? Is it pointless for me to do 3 sets of incline after my 4 sets of flat?

The pectorial can only be HIT one way, you cannot isolate the upper chest.

Now thats not to say that incline bench presses are useless but what they do is shift the balance more to the delts.. (imagine if you kept going up to a very high incline you will just be doing shoulder pressing),

I would personally only use inclines if i reached a sticking point on my bench, or if a person has a big chest but small delts which are out of proportions and wants to place more emphasis on delts.

For mass I would just do bench pressing until a sticking point is reached (if your not gaining anywhere else then it probley isnt a sticking point but is probley under nutrition/overtraining), then I would cut down my benching slightly and add another chest exersise.

I believe inclines to be just as valuable, if not more valuable than flat benches. I would include both in my program for total chest mass.

its not useless as much as its useful for purposes other than what most people use it for. do a search for more in depth discussion of this issue.

I think incline is a harder lift than flat. I would definetly not neglect incline press. If I had to choose between flat and incline I would take the incline.

gopro said:
I believe inclines to be just as valuable, if not more valuable than flat benches. I would include both in my program for total chest mass.

And yes, I use inclines to build my upper pectorals.

gopro said:
And yes, I use inclines to build my upper pectorals.

lol, just couldn't help yourself could you.

we haven't had one of these debates for a while, its due time for one...wish i could grab some popcorn for the show. i usually get some good insults to use on my friends from threads like these :D

Yanick said:
lol, just couldn't help yourself could you.

we haven't had one of these debates for a while, its due time for one...wish i could grab some popcorn for the show. i usually get some good insults to use on my friends from threads like these :D

Yeah, LOL...I was just playing. Yes, I fall onto the side of inclines being able to emphasize the upper pecs, but no, I do not plan on debating it any further. :thumb:

IML Gear Cream!
Well what would you say for me. I am 5' 11" and 167lbs and going up. I'm bulking right now. Should I be doing incline presses or just stick with the flat? I usually do 4 sets of flat and 3 sets of incline. Is that to many sets?

Doublebase said:
Well what would you say for me. I am 5' 11" and 167lbs and going up. I'm bulking right now. Should I be doing incline presses or just stick with the flat? I usually do 4 sets of flat and 3 sets of incline. Is that to many sets?

it really depends on what your whole program looks like.

Doublebase said:

7 work sets for chest is reasonable.

Back, Biceps - Deadlifts, Rows, Curls
Chest, Triceps, Shoulders - Flat Bench, Incline Bench, Skull Crushers, Military
Legs - Squat
To be put basically

hey Gopro what do you mean by worksets? Does a workset me like the bigger chest lifts like flat and incline bench as opposed to lets say flys? Also do you believe that incline does work upper chest more or were you being sarcastic/instigating?

GoPro really does believe in inclines. A work set is a set that isn't a warmup, it can be a fly or a dumbell curl or a squat.

WilliamB said:
hey Gopro what do you mean by worksets? Does a workset me like the bigger chest lifts like flat and incline bench as opposed to lets say flys? Also do you believe that incline does work upper chest more or were you being sarcastic/instigating?

By worksets I simply mean all non-warmup sets.

Yes, I do believe in incline presses working (emphasizing, not isolating) the upper chest.

Doublebase said:
Back, Biceps - Deadlifts, Rows, Curls
Chest, Triceps, Shoulders - Flat Bench, Incline Bench, Skull Crushers, Military
Legs - Squat
To be put basically

if you're gonna use two exercises and 7 sets for chest you need to be doing a proportionate amount of work for the rest of your body. so use two exercises for you lats (a horizontal move and a vertical move ie bb rows, pull ups) and hit your legs with atleast 3 moves - squat, sldl, lunge then calf work for example. you should also hit militaries before tri's. i would also put deads on leg day and alternate between squats/deads every two weeks or something but thats just me.

Damn mudge, when did you get so hot?

IML Gear Cream!
I changed some exercises.

He didn't use PCT :p

I just posted a similar question in a different thread before I saw this one, but I guess this is the more appropriate place for it.

Exactly how do incline movements work the chest differently from flat ones? I mean I realize that, of course, your body is inclined and your arms are in a different range of motion, but what's the added benefit? For example, I do flat DB presses and flies, what added benefits could I expect if I were to add inclined DB presses and flies? Thanks.

Squaggleboggin said:
I just posted a similar question in a different thread before I saw this one, but I guess this is the more appropriate place for it.

Exactly how do incline movements work the chest differently from flat ones? I mean I realize that, of course, your body is inclined and your arms are in a different range of motion, but what's the added benefit? For example, I do flat DB presses and flies, what added benefits could I expect if I were to add inclined DB presses and flies? Thanks.
An inlcline press is just an inbetween shoulder press and flat bench press, all it does is place more stress on the delts and less on the pecs.

It shifts the balance because your approching a seated shoulder press by raising the bench to an incline, keep going and it would be a seated shoulder press.

If you could place more "empahsis" on the upper chest then you could do that on all other muscles, which is just madness... lets all do leg extensions that are at and incline so it places more "emphasis" on the upper quads, what a load of rubbish!

Still people belive what they want to because they either

A-Been doing it to long to admit otherwise
B-Feel that by saying so now would damage their image
C-Have not enough knowledge of human anatomy
D-Like to think it true to make training more "fun" (maybe for their clients)

Squaggleboggin said:

that work differnely becasue they alter the plane of motion you are pressing in from transvers to inbetween transverse and frontal. It is good to be strong in all planes of motions. Also, altering the plane of motion you are pressing in is stimulating to the CNS as it can't adapt to one lift so progress can contiune you to be made.

Uzi9 said:
An inlcline press is just an inbetween shoulder press and flat bench press, all it does is place more stress on the delts and less on the pecs.

It shifts the balance because your approching a seated shoulder press by raising the bench to an incline, keep going and it would be a seated shoulder press.

If you could place more "empahsis" on the upper chest then you could do that on all other muscles, which is just madness... lets all do leg extensions that are at and incline so it places more "emphasis" on the upper quads, what a load of rubbish!

You guys all bring up good points. No clear answer though. I'm confused :hmmm: .

eventhough incline is harder for me..

I find it fun and rewarding!!!

Uzi9 said:
A-Been doing it to long to admit otherwise
B-Feel that by saying so now would damage their image
C-Have not enough knowledge of human anatomy
D-Like to think it true to make training more "fun" (maybe for their clients)

A- :rolleyes:
B- :rolleyes:
C- :rolleyes:
D- :rolleyes:

I will not argue the point any further and will only say that I am CERTAIN that incline presses can affect more growth in the upper pecs. However, anyone that believes otherwise is ok by me and is allowed their opinion based on the "facts" that they have chosen to believe in.

Don't mess with gopro dude. He'll beat you down with his massive 27 inch anaconda. And I don't mean arms.

Ok, j/k, I do mean arms. :p

Back