NapsGear.net

Abs Daily???

View Poll Results: How often do you work your abs?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Times per week

8 6.40%
  • 4 Times per week

15 12.00%
  • 3 Times per week

37 29.60%
  • 2 Times per week

34 27.20%
  • 1 Time per week

20 16.00%
  • None

11 8.80%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Abs Daily???

Rep Points

Abs Daily???

Just wondering how often most people work thier abs?

Rep Points

i do mine 2 times a week, they are a muscle like any other and should not be trained every day (at least in my opinion and many books/magazines i have read). but some will disagreee.

Hungry

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by WATTS
    i do mine 2 times a week, they are a muscle like any other and should not be trained every day (at least in my opinion and many books/magazines i have read). but some will disagreee.
    I completely agree with you, the most I'll train is twice a week, but some weeks I'll just do it once.

Rep Points

I do abs 2, sometimes 3, times a week.
    Let's all join together and SPEAK ENGLISH IN AMERICA.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

twice a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules
    I will not kill innocents.

Rep Points

my abs get enough damn work holding me up, and get worked a ton at my job anyway, i try not to work them anymore because my obliques are huge and look like love handles at the moment....

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kracin
    my obliques are huge and look like love handles at the moment....

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi9
    lol hey, gimme a break, some people love em, some people dont. same thing with having other muscles being big, some people would love to have a huge ass chest, and other people dont care for it.

Rep Points

ABS......olutely work them every day! They and your calves can take the beating!!!
    "Everyone wants to win but not everyone is willing to prepare to win" Bobby Knight

Rep Points

Once a week; they get enough work from other exercises.

Rep Points

I still think that if you aren't doing core strength exercises then you need to work them everyday!
    "Everyone wants to win but not everyone is willing to prepare to win" Bobby Knight

Stay puffed, baby.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by devildog88
    ABS......olutely work them every day! They and your calves can take the beating!!!
    Yeah, listen to this guy and you'll get nowhere in a big fuckkin hurry.
    "in the howling bleeding nights, the dogs plunge into the Volga and swim desperately to gain the other bank. The nights of Stalingrad are a terror for them. Animals flee this hell; the hardest stones cannot bear it for long; only men endure."

Rep Points

i do mine twice a week 5 sets with increasing resistance

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Duncans Donuts
    Yeah, listen to this guy and you'll get nowhere in a big fuckkin hurry.
    You are a well versed man with your opinions. Probably educated at home!

Going nowhere fast!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I revert back to my boxing mentality when it comes to working my abs. I do some abs inbetween every exercise. That is 4 times a week.
    Now rollin' with the Raider

Stay puffed, baby.

Rep Points

You are a well versed man with your opinions. Probably educated at home!
    Thanks for the input, you mental defective dunderhead.
    "in the howling bleeding nights, the dogs plunge into the Volga and swim desperately to gain the other bank. The nights of Stalingrad are a terror for them. Animals flee this hell; the hardest stones cannot bear it for long; only men endure."

Rep Points

lol theres never a thread without bitching, just for the record though i would have to agree with duncan on this one, i do mine twice a week and hit them hard, they show great results

Rep Points

Thanks for the input, you mental defective dunderhead.
    You are welcome.

Maybe I should rephrase this. I think it is important to work your abs everyday that you workout. In my case that would be 5 days a week. If you are a three day person then three days. Now this doesn't have to be three different excercises at three sets each. In my case I do one set every day that I work out. I also vary the type of exercise that I do. Works for me but may not for you.

Rep Points

"dunderhead"? Come on, surely you can search the archives of that great mind of yours for a better reply than that? I am somewhat disappointed in the "duncan donut"!

Rep Points

"dunderhead"? Come on, surely you can search the archives of that great mind of yours for a better reply than that? I am somewhat disappointed in the "duncan donut"!
    yeah man get a life, you made what would seem a fairly mature reply above this post, but then you go a put this. everyone is different and train different, i personnly would not recomend hitting a single muscle group every single workout day as when are you going to give your abs enough time to recover and grow.

Rep Points

Yeah, You are right that was a somewhat smartassed comment. My apologies!

The world is mine

Rep Points

I use to them them everyday for a warmup. Two sets of crunches and two sets of leg raises. But now doing abs twice a week with more intensity.
    "I analyze life through a blind man's eyes to see better." K-rino

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

I think it depends on intensity. You could work them once a week to absolute failure, or you could give them a little something three times a week. Neither answer is really wrong; neither is right. Personally, I like working them about three times a week, three sets of weighted sit ups (nothing to intense) each time.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

Rep Points

i do them twice a week with at least 2 days rest in between. 6 sets and 2 exercises every time i work them
    www.monmouthkettlebells.blogspot.com
    AJ Oliva RKC, FMS
    Central NJ

Stay puffed, baby.

Rep Points

You are welcome.

Maybe I should rephrase this. I think it is important to work your abs everyday that you workout. In my case that would be 5 days a week. If you are a three day person then three days. Now this doesn't have to be three different excercises at three sets each. In my case I do one set every day that I work out. I also vary the type of exercise that I do. Works for me but may not for you.
    Let me spell this out for you.

You are a fucking retard. I hate this mystic bullshit about "Works for me". Tell me why it works for you? Tell me why it's optimal? Tell me why anyone should do what you say? Don't just say something that contradicts common sense. GIVE A REASON. Because you didnt' give any reason why the abs can be trained everday while everything else can't.

Then you threw in something about core strength. You think you'll get strong working your abs every day? Wow, this is amazing, another newbie parading around telling people bullshit and setting the case of exercise science back a decade. Got any reasoning behind your nonsensical statement? Besides "CUZ IT WORKS FOR ME!". I bet it doesn't, actually. I bet your midsection is as atrophied as a nutsack stacked on 2 grams of deca and half a gram of oxymeth.

Let me point out that all I did was criticize his position, initially, which I was polite about. I restrained myself. The firs thing that hit my mind, frankly, was that if you listen to this dumb fucker, you're even stupider than he is, which says a lot. This is how I know that nobody listened to him, because finding two people on this board as encompassed in sheer dimwitted buffoonery would completely shit on everything i know about statistical odds.

Stay puffed, baby.

Rep Points

Oh, you did give a reason:

They and your calves can take the beating!!!
    From what divine source was this epiphany laid upon you? Did the notice come with all those exclamation points?

Rep Points

Let me spell this out for you.

You are a fucking retard. I hate this mystic bullshit about "Works for me". Tell me why it works for you?
    Um, please don't tell me you just insulted his intelligence and them implied that the same things would work for all people...

Tell me why it's optimal? Tell me why anyone should do what you say? Don't just say something that contradicts common sense. GIVE A REASON. Because you didnt' give any reason why the abs can be trained everday while everything else can't.
    There is a reason, actually. I forgot what it is, but it may have something to do with slow twitch muscle fibers. In other words, it takes a lot more exercise to tire them out, just like your calves. They get used an awful lot, and can therefore take much more exercise than the typical muscle. Plus it depends on the intensity with which they're worked.

Then you threw in something about core strength. You think you'll get strong working your abs every day? Wow, this is amazing, another newbie parading around telling people bullshit and setting the case of exercise science back a decade. Got any reasoning behind your nonsensical statement? Besides "CUZ IT WORKS FOR ME!". I bet it doesn't, actually. I bet your midsection is as atrophied as a nutsack stacked on 2 grams of deca and half a gram of oxymeth.
    Abs do indeed have a lot to do with core strength. They're involved in the two biggest powerlifting moves: squats and deadlifts. They're main stabilizers and get worked quite a bit when the exercises are done properly. Without strong abs, those two lifts won't be very big.

Let me point out that all I did was criticize his position, initially, which I was polite about. I restrained myself. The firs thing that hit my mind, frankly, was that if you listen to this dumb fucker, you're even stupider than he is, which says a lot. This is how I know that nobody listened to him, because finding two people on this board as encompassed in sheer dimwitted buffoonery would completely shit on everything i know about statistical odds.
    I'm not really sure what to say about this...

Stay puffed, baby.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Squaggleboggin
    Um, please don't tell me you just insulted his intelligence and them implied that the same things would work for all people...
    Is that what I said? I think you're confused.

There is a reason, actually. I forgot what it is, but it may have something to do with slow twitch muscle fibers. In other words, it takes a lot more exercise to tire them out, just like your calves. They get used an awful lot, and can therefore take much more exercise than the typical muscle. Plus it depends on the intensity with which they're worked.
    Or you could say that since they are already so overworked, it requires a great (meaning large or immense) and UNUSUAL stimulus to break out of it's current homeostatic state. You could look at it lots of ways, actually. To fatigue anaerobically something with a high percentage of slow twitch fibers could probably be done with higher reps, higher TUT, with no more than 2-4 sets done per exercise session. You could up the volume, sure, but again we're speaking of optimization - and I'm not saying not to do that - but do you work any part of your body 5 times a week?? Does anyone (not on steroids) ?? So what makes the abdominals any different, beyond the assesment that they are already used a great deal and need exorbitant amounts of volume to progress? And I'm saying that I'm completely sure that if you train your abs daily, you won't have powerful abs.

I know of MEDX testing that indicated because of the enormous amount of work done on the lower back that high intense exercise done more than once ever 2-3 weeks resulted in overuse atrophy. You can reference the studies done at UF in Gainesville if you want to see how the theory of "it's used all the time so it needs more work volume to improve" might be flawed.

Abs do indeed have a lot to do with core strength. They're involved in the two biggest powerlifting moves: squats and deadlifts. They're main stabilizers and get worked quite a bit when the exercises are done properly. Without strong abs, those two lifts won't be very big.
    Wow, thanks for the update. Go reference what he said about core strength (if you don't do any core strength, train your abs 5 times a week) and tell me how what you said relates to that?

I'm not really sure what to say about this...
    Funny, I was wondering the same about yours.

Rep Points

That's pretty much how I understood this: "I hate this mystic bullshit about "Works for me"." What did you mean if you weren't talking about certain things working for certain people? Maybe I just didn't read his post carefully enough.

"And I'm saying that I'm completely sure that if you train your abs daily, you won't have powerful abs." I agree, but that's not what was originally said. He said that you should work your abs every day that you otherwise work out. That does not mean every single day.

"Wow, thanks for the update. Go reference what he said about core strength (if you don't do any core strength, train your abs 5 times a week) and tell me how what you said relates to that?" He said to do ab work for core strength; I said that ab work increases core strength; you felt the need to tell me that my statement was unrelated...

Now I didn't mean to come off as a jerk, but many of the things you said seemed to contradict things I know you know, so I felt the need to pick at what you said because I was extremely bored (and still am). Basically everything I said was probably a misunderstanding of your post, or at least I hope so, and I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say as well.

flawless

Rep Points

So much hate here, you all need to go to the grocery store and buy some pills that says "Chill Pills" ...you need them

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast