Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

frozen berries

Thread: frozen berries

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

frozen berries

Frozen berries can be found year-round in discount grocers, are loaded with recovery-bolstering anti-oxidants and don’t really differ from fresh berries in nutritional value. As a bonus, they can cool a steaming bowl of hot oatmeal in about 30 seconds. What are you waiting for?

Is it true that frozen berries are almost as nutrtious as fresh berries?

Rep Points

Providing they don't have added sugar, then are good. I don't believe ANYTHING is as nutritious as fresh but frozen is the next best IMO.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Rep Points

It's a commonly held belief that fresh produce is more nutritious than articles that have been frozen, however I've read that considering exposure to everything from air to florescent lighting in a grocery store and the length of time something has been sitting on the shelf that it is less nutritious than frozen.
    If you think about it, it does make sense considering something that's "fresh" is going to be subject to decay (rotting if you will) while something frozen is in a holding state thereby preserving the antioxidants and everything else.

Personally, I would prefer fresh over frozen simply for taste and texture.

Rep Points

frozen fruits and veggies are frozen at their best! therefore, more nutrients...usually

Rep Points

I disagree, fresh is better. Providing if they aren't imported and don't look and feel bad, then fresh is most definately better. I buy my fresh produce organic though. I do by frozen but out of convenience.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Yuppie

Rep Points

How come some frozen veggies contain sodium? My frozen brocoli has 20mg per serving. Is this naturally-occuring (meaning the fresh stuff would have the same amount of sodium as well) or is it added?

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by dakota
    frozen fruits and veggies are frozen at their best! therefore, more nutrients...usually
    I did quite a bit of research on this too and I agree with this, from what I uncovered frozen fruits and veggies are frozen immediately after picking and therefore maintain most of their nutritional content, whereas fresh produce by the time it has been picked, packaged, shipped and actually placed on the store shelves is often past it's prime.

tryin to grow...
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

like dakota said

Acting Normal...

Rep Points

The nutrients provided by frozen/fresh vegetables all depends on how that particular group was handled.

If you are lucky enough to get your hands on actual FRESH vegetables/fruits (like what Jodi is suggesting) [so that means they have not been picked, frozen/stored for months and transported half way across the world] then these are obviously your best bet - they are highly nutrient dense and have not been damaged.

If you don't have this advantage, and the fruit/vegetables you do get are old or have been stored or frozen and then thawed, then, technically speaking, they are not really 'fresh' - and although they are still GREAT, they will not have any advantage over your frozen.

Similarly, if the frozen vegetables/fruits are picked and then RAPIDLY frozen straight away, then they are EXCELLENT as well... However, if they were left around at room temperature for a while, and then frozen, they would have also lost some of their nutrients.

As long as you are eating SOME form of fresh or frozen vegetables/fruits, then I think that this is much better than the alternative (which is not eating any at all).

Rep Points

Hey, it was like I said first :P