• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Phantom Smells

tucker01

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
The last couple of Days I have noticed a smoke/ Cigarette smell, even though none are around.

Doing a search on the internet, just scares the crap outta ya, talking about
Tumors, Aneurysms, Epilepsy, and Neuro Problems.

Anyone experience these?

I experienced a phantom smell in the gym today, and it wasn't cigarettes. I hate when people cant go to the locker room to do that.

:clapping: :clapping:

Yes, it happened to me.
It can be a brain tumor but it is rare. Don´t worry that quick tough, it is usually caused by a cold or the beginning of a sinusitis. In a few days you will be better. Trust me.

Yeah I read about sickness affecting the chemical reaction affecting smells. I am not worried. :D

Well looks like I am going to get an EEG done and am being referred to a neurologist.

Went to see the Family Doctor. I don't know if I beleive her analysis but she said it sounds like little seizures :shrug: Guess will wait and see

Do you feel anything from this? Good luck Iain and I hope there are no problems.

Thanks Jodi.

Nah don't feel anything in particular. Just the smell of smoke. It makes me feel like I am in a smoky room, even my eyes begin to sting. Right now it is about 1 or 2 times a day for about 20 minutes.

Smell is a chemical reaction so it could be numerous things. I ain't gonna get in a panic or anything. I don't really trust doctors anyway :shrug: I probably wouldn't even of gone to the doctor if my wife wasn't pestering me all the time :lol:

IainDaniel said:
The last couple of Days I have noticed a smoke/ Cigarette smell, even though none are around.

Anyone experience these?

I never heard of that, sounds weird.

IML Gear Cream!
Thanks for the link Bandaidwoman

Is there anything to be concerned about?

Simple partial seizures presenting just as spontaneous smells can be one of the most benign forms of seizures. However, over here, imaging of the head (preferably MRI with contrast) is mandatory since you want to be sure something isn't lurking around the olefactory center in the brain (ie: a mass).aka "George Gershwin syndrome" ...... but your neurologist will most likely be ordering that.

Well just had an EEG today. Nothing really to exciting. Bunch of plates stuck to my head. Open Eyes close eyes Open Eyes, Close Eye, Breath Deep Breath Normal, Push these Buttons.

Suprised I got an EEG Appointment this quickly. Have to wait to see the neurologist for results. So will have to wait and see.

The Smells have been deminishing. Last experience was Yesterday AM and only lasted for probably 10 seconds.

10 seconds? How long lasted the other ones? Sometimes I got that all day, for at least two days.

IainDaniel said:

Anyone experience these?

That occurs in mental illnesses too. Do a web search on that.
http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/hallucinations.jsp

How old are you ? Do you have any other strange sensations/hallucinations ? Ones that you may not realize are hallucinations ? Me for instance, i use to not use silverware because it tasted like metal.

Vieope said:
10 seconds? How long lasted the other ones? Sometimes I got that all day, for at least two days.

The First couple of days it was persistent

Then it was down to one or two times a day anywhere from 10 seconds to 20 mins.

Today and last night before bed has been pretty persistent again

Super Hulk said:
That occurs in mental illnesses too. Do a web search on that.
http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/hallucinations.jsp

How old are you ? Do you have any other strange sensations/hallucinations ? Ones that you may not realize are hallucinations ? Me for instance, i use to not use silverware because it tasted like metal.

28, Nah that is the only experience I have been getting.

Welp, my EEG came back and go figure results were normal, so the doctor said :) ( I am sure my wife would vouch different)

Anyway I have been monitoring when they seem to occur, I usually get them when I am sedentary, Go figure of course I am going to notice then. However what I have noticed that seemed of a little more interest, is they occur when I am sleep deprived.

That was happening to me too. I was also having strange little hallucinations. I also passed out three times in seven days. Once while driving. Crunch!
I had all the tests. EKG, EKsomethingorother, MRI, Tilt table, blood work, ect, ect. Turns out that stress, high blood pressure, and massive amounts of coffee were screwing with my vegas nerve and blood was flowing out of my brain when I was standing.

I got a new job and quit drinking coffee and have been fine for six months. Make sure you go to your doctors and do the tests, but also do as much research as you can. Doctors can prescribe tests and medication, but you have to actively participate for the diagnosis to be accurate. One guy spent five minutes with me and tried to prescribe seizure medication and call it a day.

Last edited:
hmmm I have been smelling smoke - like something electrical burning, decided to search the net and found your postings... as well as others, but the scare the poop out of you - think the best thing to do it get to a dr just to check it out - as least I know I'm not completely crazy, that others have experienced this. I do think my son thinks I'm nuts because I keep asking him if he smells something burning.

thanks for sharing your experiences....

Well it seems like these Phantom smells have been back for the last few weeks. I really don't know what the next step is?

Guess it is just something I will have to deal with. :(

ID...I have some ideas. I could use a little medical mystery today.

Think I'll take a shot at providing an explanation. Don't know if there's a way to fix the problem, but since its relatively uncommon, I'm thinking its a dietary deficiency adding to the mix...or maybe something a bit more odd...

Sedentary + stress -->hypothalamus, which also processes orfactory sensory input.

I presume you want an answer and because of the stress involved, a solution.

Back in a bit.

Initial observation: this looks to be an avoidable condition - keeping active is part of the solution.

LOL

Yeah a solution would be nice.

Thanks

IainDaniel said:
Welp, my EEG came back and go figure results were normal, so the doctor said :) ( I am sure my wife would vouch different)

Anyway I have been monitoring when they seem to occur, I usually get them when I am sedentary, Go figure of course I am going to notice then. However what I have noticed that seemed of a little more interest, is they occur when I am sleep deprived.

EEGs are very insensitive and still can miss seizures. Sleep deprivation brings out seizures so usually, we order a sleep deprived EEG (it sounds like you had a regular one.). It is interesting that sleep deprivation brings this out more. ONce again,it may be hard for you to get the workup up there. Did you ever get a MRI? (Rember the George Gershwin syndrome.)

http://webhome.idirect.com/~brainology/brainology/eeg_how.html

sensitivity of a single EEG: 50% (10% -77%). After one or more repeat EEG (incl Sleep deprived), sensitivity rises to 80-90%. Even after several days of continuous recording, small minorities of patients with intractable epilepsy, 2-3%, do not have IEDs detectable on surface recording. This percentage may be higher among patients whose epilepsy is controlled.

just because a test is negative does not mean you don't have it. In practical medicine it is called a false negative test.

Back