• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Do stiff-legged deads work abs too?

RikkiHoon

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Every time I do stiff-legged deads, I feel a good stretch/contraction in my abs. Is this normal - do deads work the abs? Or am I doing something wrong?!? :hmmm:

:)

you shouldn't be contracting your abs during exercises like that, because if you are it means you are rounding your back. its possible to feel a slight pump or soreness but contracting (eccentrically, concentrically) your abs during the movements is dangerous because you need to keep your spine stabile. the stretch could be because you are hyperextending, which is also dangerous once you start getting up there in weight. make sure you are bending from your hips and stop just short of where your back starts rounding. to get deeper start stretching your hammies but always make sure your spine is stabile.

Thanks guys.

I think I may have misinformed you when I said that my abs contract - I just meant that they feel stretched a little as I extend to the upright position; so this is normal, right? And when you mention the back 'rounding', exactly what do you mean? Are you referring to when the back is in the fully upright position? Or when one is leaning back? Sorry for the ignorance, and thanks for the help!

he means rounding, like your bending your back hence contracting your abs. if this is the case, I hypothesize that you probaly have to much weight and cannot keep your back straight on the pull up, or you are locking your knees. remember keep your knees SLIGHTLY bent.

if your tensing them to pull your body upright then thats wrong form too. your shoulders and back should be locked so the strain is pushed onto your glutes and hams

hop this helps

how exactly are stiff legged dead's done? can some one post me a pic or sumffin

seven11 said:
how exactly are stiff legged dead's done? can some one post me a pic or sumffin
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBStiffLegDeadlift.html

Careful with these in excess...

In my early 20's I used to pound DL's & SLDL's, and I started to get massive lower back pain, to the point where I couldn't sleep at night! (Spinal)...

I fixed it by upping some of my ab work to contain HEAVY resistance, and it balanced out my physique (Poof, no more pain)

another tip to be sure youre hitting glutes and hams... focus on the hips/pelvis moving back as you bend, rather than how far down the bar goes. it's better to have the hips move back slightly further, even if the bar doesn't hit say shin level. then as you extend back up, focus on pulling the hips/pelvis all the way back to the starting point, concentrating on the hams. this will also help to keep your head up and back straight. just a tip i picked up on... hope it helps

Back