• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Hand Grips

Sacto95827

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
What are people's thoughts on hand grips?

Last edited:
i love the captn. of crush from ironmind.com

I use this:

http://www.ivanko.com/products/html_stuff/gripper_info.html

at the end of a workout. Once I can do two sets of 20 reps I increase the tension.....

I'm (pretty) sure it does help my grip and possibly forearm definition, as when you are using this gripper you focus on the forearms alone; they are not just part of another exercise.

I've also tried holding 10kg/22lbs plates with my fingers for as long as possible, that provides a nice 'forearm effect'. But there's no movement with that, which a spring tensioned gripper (of whatever sort) provides.

As for curling your wrists with the EZ or straight bar...... I'm fairly sure it is less effective than gripping with a proper gripper {though I may be wrong of course :rolleyes: }

Nick

You could always just hold a BB loaded with some weight on it. I've seen P-funk suggest things like pull ups hanging off of towels and other things that you may not think of. It doesn't take some sort of new product to increase grip strength. Just hold something heavy or make your forearms work harder than they usually do and you'll see results.

Yeah, I was just thinking hand-grips because I pretty much sit on my ass all day at work and think having a pair of hand-grips could keep my time occupied while making my forearms bigger...

Yeah, pretty common are
1) Timed Holds
2) Pinch Grip Stuff
3) Crushing Grip (Ivanko, COC's)

For forearm stuff

Wrist Rollers
Reverse Curls
Wrist Curls
Farmers Walks

About farmers' walks... is there really anything else they work besides grip? Does anyone here incorporate them into their routine and find them to be helpful?

rangers97 said:
which one do you use? They have like 10 different kinds. Would the #1 be too tough do you think?

He uses the #1. I also use the #1.. if you arent sure, get the trainer.

#1 is 139lbs of force. The trainer is 49lbs. #1 is tough, I can get 5-6 straight reps but I usually do timed holds with it. I also recently purchased a plate loaded thick handle DB (2.5") for rows and one arm deadlifts. It is pretty brutal on the grip as well.

IML Gear Cream!
i was just wondering the difference between the #1 and the trainer. If the trainer is like the hand grips you can buy at like modells or sports authority, I think I may be better off with the #1, I mean I need some kind of challenge. How does the trainer stack up to the store ones, say a Weider grip? Cause I know I can grip those things from now until tomorrow without much of a problem...

the trainer is awesome. way better than the stuff at sporting good stores. much more durable plus 49lbs of force is a lot more, most of those go up to like 20lbs I think. The trainer is great for doing rep work.

Yeah, I just went to Big 5 to check out the hand grips and let me tell you...WEAK! No resistance even on their "Extreme" grips. I think I'm gonna have to go with P-Funk's suggestion and get the Captain of Crush Trainer :thumb:

P-funk (or others who train grip), do you find it more effective for your grip to do a static hold or to do reps with higher resistance? Could you basically 'finger curl' a barbell to do those types of reps without the gripper?

Also, does anyone use farmers' walks? If so, what do you see as a result from doing them? Would you recommend light weights and long distances or heavy weights and short distances (actually both is probably the best thing to do).

Squaggleboggin said:
P-funk (or others who train grip), do you find it more effective for your grip to do a static hold or to do reps with higher resistance? Could you basically 'finger curl' a barbell to do those types of reps without the gripper?

Also, does anyone use farmers' walks? If so, what do you see as a result from doing them? Would you recommend light weights and long distances or heavy weights and short distances (actually both is probably the best thing to do).

farmers walks are awesome. I say go as heavy as you can for as far as you can. Varying up the weight isn't bad though.

I like all the things you mentioned. I do static and reps with the gripper. I think both have been very effective in my grip training. I also to BB wrist curls. It is important to very things up with your program. Sometimes I do grippers, sometime BB curls, sometimes square beam pull ups, somteims static BB holds, etc..

P-funk said:
the trainer is awesome. way better than the stuff at sporting good stores. much more durable plus 49lbs of force is a lot more, most of those go up to like 20lbs I think. The trainer is great for doing rep work.

I read storebought grippers are 30-40 pounds, and most trainers are 100#?

Back