• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Cardio vs. weights for fat loss

RikkiHoon

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Just a simple question, I imagine, but on ethat I am not sure about the answer of. So, here it is:

Weight training elevates the metabolism for a greater period of time than cardio (if workouts are intense enough, right?), so is it reasonable to assume that for a 20 minute session of moderate cardio (riding a stationary bike for example), a 35-40 minute full-on medium-heavy weights, 6-10 rep-range workout would have a similar effect? Or does it not work that way?

I am currently working out twice per week (Bare Minimum Training program by Bill Belfert) and doing moderate cardio 3 times per week. I drink alcohol twice per week (not too much at each session!), but have a very healthy diet and don't really ever feel the need to have 'cheat meals'. The cardio work is OK and I have no problem with continuing to do it 3 times weekly. However, my workouts are relatively short - about 35 minutes - and I was contemplating substituting 2 of the cardio sessions for 2 workouts. I currently have 2 workouts, A and B. I was thinking of doing:

Monday: Workout A

Tuesday: Workout B

Wednesday: cardio

Thursday: Workout A

Friday: Workout B

... and rest at the weekends.

I know that most people recommend a week's rest inbetween individual body part workouts, but I am confident that I would not be overtraining by following the above regimen. Howver, I have posted this query so that I can make an informed decision by listening to all your great advice.

I am looking to continue losing fat and building muscle. I know that it is difficult to do both at the same time, but it appears I have been suceeding, albeit a little slowly. I would like to turn up the pressure on the workouts by doing them twice per week. But the question is, will this hinder weight (fat) loss? I don't want to become a muscley fat person!

Cheers in advance for the expert advice.

:thumb:

I think weights and diet work better for the long run, as lifting weights and dieting acts as a continuous fat reducer whereas cardio burns most of its calories/fat during the session

Edit: A combination always works best though :thumb:

Last edited:
Hey Trizzle...

Yeah, those are my sentiments exactly. So, maybe I can subsitute 2 of the 3 cardio sessions, as I freakin' love weights workouts! But I need to make the right decision. I'll see what others have to say, too, but thanks for the swift advice bro'!

:thumb:

A combination would be optimal, but the whole reason why HIIT is glorified is it's EPOC generating effects, AKA "calorie burning after burn". HIIT cardio elevates the metabolism of calories, repartitioning nutrients as does weight lifting, it's basically the same thing in terms of EPOC. Weight lifting, if intense enough, can result is a cardio-like effect and raise metabolism similarly. Even though it depends on the session (high volume/low rest; low volume/high intensity, etc), weight lifting burns calories (small amount), and when repairing the muscle cells from future microtrauma, calories are repartitioned for repair this burning calories.

As I already mentioned, personally both would be the best. Your workout routine seems fine. If you're not losing BF quick enough then re-assess your routine but until then it looks good.

TheUnlikelyHERO said:
As I already mentioned, personally both would be the best. Your workout routine seems fine.
Thanks for the info., but which workout do you mean, HERO? Are you referring to the original plan with cardio three times per week? Or are you referring to the four weights-one cardio plan?

:bulb:

The 4-day split of weight training and 1 day of cardio seems perfectly fine with a sound diet. If fat loss isn't as quick as you're hoping, you can place cardio on Saturday's or re-adjust your diet.

Remember, lift heavy - burns more calories than lifting high volume/low intensity.

Anyone have an idea on how many calories (ballpark) are burned during an intense workout? 45-1hr 4-8 rep range... lets say chest day?

Back